Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Do You Want As Next England Manager?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bobby Crush for me. He could even bring his piano into team talks and they could all have a sing song as they did in the El Tel days.

"We're on our way, we are Bobby Crush's 22
Hear the roar of the red white and blue
This time...."

Here we have a photo of Bobby looking longingly at John Terry's arse as he considers his next team talk:

bobby_crush.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm interesting. I wonder what 'Aldo' and the other Liverpool fans on here think of that? They were unanimous in declaring that Dalglish was FAR better than Hodgson.

i also heard this, was surprised to say the least! really don't think he was given enough time at liverpool.........he also got inter to a uefa cup final, which isn't bad

as for the media skewing perceptions..........guess who's sitting proudly at the top of the pile of england managers in terms of win %

(give everyone a clue, he isn't english)

Almost as surprising is how Villas Boas is stacking up against Scolari...

Solari, start of 2008/09 season:
P12 W9 D2 L1 pts 29
position: Top.

Villas-Boas, start of 2011/12 season:
P12 W7 D1 L4 pts 22
position: 5th.

Scolari managed to hang on to his job until 9 February 2009, his league record at time of sacking:
P25 D7 L4 pts 49
position: 4th.

Hodgson was a dead man walking from the SECOND he walked into the Liverpool job, as they had already decided he wasn't a big enough name for their GREAT club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
David Beckham, time for a poll............

Tongue in cheek or not, I'm starting to be of the opinion that your club management skills are not necessarily relevant to the national job. Look at Germany for example, Beckenbauer - no club experience, Berti Vogts - no club experience, Rudi Voller - hardly any club experience, Klinsmann - no club experience.

They appointed Ribbeck with loads of club experience and he was a disaster (well by German standards anyway, not getting past Euro group stage 2000).

If you were Germany, you'd probably be looking in all seriousness at Pearce, Beckham etc.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think Stuart Pearce has been given the Olympic job as a sort-of trial. If team GB get to the semis, I reckon Peace will be handed the job. Otherwise it will go to some randomer that hasn't been suggested on this thread.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Tongue in cheek or not, I'm starting to be of the opinion that your club management skills are not necessarily relevant to the national job. Look at Germany for example, Beckenbauer - no club experience, Berti Vogts - no club experience, Rudi Voller - hardly any club experience, Klinsmann - no club experience.

They appointed Ribbeck with loads of club experience and he was a disaster (well by German standards anyway, not getting past Euro group stage 2000).

If you were Germany, you'd probably be looking in all seriousness at Pearce, Beckham etc.

all the kids would want to play for him.............

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
eerrr because they all speak perfect english for starters and could actually communicate with the players.
Also all of them have immense knowledge of English football, something Cappello has/had no idea off.
And All of them play attacking football generally, something that Italian coaches dont have the mindset for generally.
I could go on...

Do you honestly think that the man who is paid £6 million a year to manage the national team is unable to communicate with his players? I mean, seriously? That's just more bollocks printed in the media. If you read what the players say, they all say his English is fine behind closed doors with them.

Immense knowledge of English football? In what sense? Of the history and the clubs etc? Or of the current players? If you are talking about the former, then a) you have absolutely no idea how much Capello knows, and b) it is completely irrelevant anyway. In fact, there is an argument to say that it would be a disadvantage to know too much about it.

England are not good enough to go out and attack Brazil / Spain / Netherlands etc. We beat the world champions a couple of weeks ago purely and simply because of Capello's tactics. Had we gone at them all guns blazing, we would have got hammered. Definitely. We can go back to the days of Keegan and have exciting, attacking games, but we 100% guaranteed wont win anything. I'm not saying we will under Capello, but we have more of a chance.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

There is an element of truth in that. When Ramsey was sacked the FA appointed arguably the most successful English club manager of the era, Don Revie, to succeed him. It was an unmitigated disaster. And for all Capello's club triumphs (and the fact his win/loss record stands scrutiny with any other England manager) he's still won the same number of international tournaments as any other England manager since Ramsey.

It IS a different ball game - but that doesn't mean to say that Pearce or Beckham are anywhere near being the right candidates. And look what happened the last time we promoted one of the existing staff to the top job.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
does hiddink have an "immense knowledge of english football"?! he managed here for about half a season

i can see your point though, its not like england recently stuck perfectly to a game plan against the best team in the world or anything is it....so it seems the players have no idea what capello wants them to do...and because you obviously spend a lot of time in the england dressing room, you WOULD know how well he communicates with the players

I dont have to be in the dressing room to see he cannot communicate properly with the players, its there for everyone to see.

Just how badly will we have to fail at the next championships for you to realise we need to change from capello.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
capello's CV is 2nd to none and it hasn't worked,let's be honest what progress has he made,the wales performance was bordering on pitiful
in the last world cup,that game against germany was embarrassing,they could of scored 6 or 7 and we counldn't of complained
yeah,ok we beat spain in a friendly,quite how i don't know,if it had been a boxing match the ref would of stopped it,they battered us

i do want an english manager,i just think it's right in sport,not to recieve any outside help at international level,let's be honest we haven't had a decent prime minister for ages,but i wouldn't want a foreign one

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Stuart Pearce...

We have seen time and again that club management record is of little value when choosing an International manager. He was a passionate player who has tournament management experience. His media skills may not be great, but so what?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
capello's CV is 2nd to none and it hasn't worked,let's be honest what progress has he made,the wales performance was bordering on pitiful
in the last world cup,that game against germany was embarrassing,they could of scored 6 or 7 and we counldn't of complained
yeah,ok we beat spain in a friendly,quite how i don't know,if it had been a boxing match the ref would of stopped it,they battered us

i do want an english manager,i just think it's right in sport,not to recieve any outside help at international level,let's be honest we haven't had a decent prime minister for ages,but i wouldn't want a foreign one

Spot on, its a shame in some ways Spain didnt batter us the other night, as admirable as our defensive spirit and organisation was it masked what was another dire performance by us, on another night we could have lost that 3 or 4 nil easily, and you wouldnt hear anyone saying Capello must stay then. Ive been saying it since before the world cup he had to go, and I wish he had more than ever.

Oct 25, 2003
I dont have to be in the dressing room to see he cannot communicate properly with the players, its there for everyone to see.

Just how badly will we have to fail at the next championships for you to realise we need to change from capello.

the spain game suggested that he can communicate with his players, as they stuck perfectly to his game plan and beat a side that is considered to be one of the best national sides of all time

ONCE AGAIN, he inherited a side that FAILED TO QUALIFY for the previous tournament, and only TWO england managers have done better than him in their first tournament........plus he has the highest win % of any england manager EVER......did he not communicate with his players for any of those wins then?

he's brought in more new exciting players than any other england manager in my memory, and regardless of your insistance that england should play attacking football (we shouldn't) he has set them up in the way that in reality is our best chance of success and one that best suits the players we have- counter attacking.........obviously any change in style is going to take time to adjust

and anyway, he's leaving soon anyway, so we're going to get a change from him regardless of how well we do in 2012

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Was tempted to start a new thread about this, but Football Weekly hit upon an interesting stat recently:

"King" Kenny's WDL record since retaking over as 'Pool manager is WORSE than Roy Hodgson's was in his tenure there.

Shows exactly how easily the media can skew the perceptions of two managers in either direction. And how thick some fans are.

I really can't believe that (not actually saying it's false, but I'm staggered). Liverpool seem to have improved a lot under Dalgleish and now sit in 6th place, 3 points off third. Did Hodgson ever have them that high?

Oct 25, 2003
Spot on, its a shame in some ways Spain didnt batter us the other night, as admirable as our defensive spirit and organisation was it masked what was another dire performance by us, on another night we could have lost that 3 or 4 nil easily, and you wouldnt hear anyone saying Capello must stay then. Ive been saying it since before the world cup he had to go, and I wish he had more than ever.

f***ing hell........dire performance against spain? you've highlighted in your own post why it wasn't a dire performance.........play attacking football against spain and you'll get massacred......the only way to beat them is to be well organised and defend well- EXACTLY what england did and they stuck to capello's game plan perfectly

it was one of the best defensive performances from an england team in YEARS

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I really can't believe that (not actually saying it's false, but I'm staggered). Liverpool seem to have improved a lot under Dalgleish and now sit in 6th place, 3 points off third. Did Hodgson ever have them that high?

yes stats can be misleading,one can see if a team is going in the right direction,liverpool clearly are under dalgleish,but are england under capello,not for me

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
f***ing hell........dire performance against spain? you've highlighted in your own post why it wasn't a dire performance.........play attacking football against spain and you'll get massacred......the only way to beat them is to be well organised and defend well- EXACTLY what england did and they stuck to capello's game plan perfectly

it was one of the best defensive performances from an england team in YEARS

I agree with you both in certain ways, it was a great defensive performance and much better than we have seen for a while. But Spain still created a lot of chances at the end and should have won the game from them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here