Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Do You Want As Next England Manager?

Oct 25, 2003
yes stats can be misleading,one can see if a team is going in the right direction,liverpool clearly are under dalgleish,but are england under capello,not for me

failure to qualify for euro's----------------------------->2nd round of world cup

what direction is that going in?

Oct 25, 2003
I agree with you both in certain ways, it was a great defensive performance and much better than we have seen for a while. But Spain still created a lot of chances at the end and should have won the game from them.

obviously they created a lot of chances, they're the best attacking side in the world.........no team on earth can prevent them from creating chances

but in reality it was only really that villa chance that hit the post and the fabregas chance which he probably should've scored.......to limit spain to 2 clear chances is BRILLIANT defending

if an englishman was in charge of england and we beat spain everyone would be calling for his knighthood.......because it's capello and despite all the actual facts and stuff he's the worst england manager of all time apparently it means nothing

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really can't believe that (not actually saying it's false, but I'm staggered). Liverpool seem to have improved a lot under Dalgleish and now sit in 6th place, 3 points off third. Did Hodgson ever have them that high?

Remember it takes into account Europa League and Carling Cup results, etc. The point is he wasn't as bad as many made out just as Dalglish isn't the messiah, as many have made out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with you both in certain ways, it was a great defensive performance and much better than we have seen for a while. But Spain still created a lot of chances at the end and should have won the game from them.

Obviously you're remembering and taking into account that this Spain side will probably go down as one of the greatest international sides of all time, yes? It was an EXCELLENT performance from England, Capello got the tactics SPOT ON.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
obviously they created a lot of chances, they're the best attacking side in the world.........no team on earth can prevent them from creating chances

but in reality it was only really that villa chance that hit the post and the fabregas chance which he probably should've scored.......to limit spain to 2 clear chances is BRILLIANT defending

if an englishman was in charge of england and we beat spain everyone would be calling for his knighthood.......because it's capello and despite all the actual facts and stuff he's the worst england manager of all time apparently it means nothing

Spain are terrible in friendlies, and if that was a competitive game I have no doubt they would have won. I am not one of the Capello is shit brigade and I can actually see us starting to progress and am quite excited by the prospect of having the likes of Walker, Wilshire, Welbeck, Sturridge, Gibbs, Rodwell and Jones becoming regulars. And while the Spain result and performance was great, you just can't read too much into it unfortunately. And then the Sweden game seemed to be a step backwards again as that was dire for the most part

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We're getting off the point a bit here. Undeniably Spain created more chances and generally had the better of the game, but is that Capello's 'fault'? I think most would agree that Spain have better players than us for a number of reasons none of which are down to the England manager. Consequently he made the best from what he had and it was actually the ideal result: we won and proved we could compete with a top side, but no one (least of all Marshy!) is getting carried away and now suddenly thinks we're world-beaters.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Obviously you're remembering and taking into account that this Spain side will probably go down as one of the greatest international sides of all time, yes? It was an EXCELLENT performance from England, Capello got the tactics SPOT ON.

Not denying it was the best English performance for a long time, but I can't get carried away by the fact it was against Spain. Who did they lose to after England? Costa Rica or something wasn't it?

We're getting off the point a bit here. Undeniably Spain created more chances and generally had the better of the game, but is that Capello's 'fault'? I think most would agree that Spain have better players than us for a number of reasons none of which are down to the England manager. Consequently he made the best from what he had and it was actually the ideal result: we won and proved we could compete with a top side, but no one (least of all Marshy!) is getting carried away and now suddenly thinks we're world-beaters.

Yep getting too far off topic, apologies.

Oct 25, 2003
i'm not trying to claim that capello is some sort of managerial god........and neither do i believe that we'll win the euro's under him, i just think he's given too hard a time by the press and fans, when in reality anyone intelligent can see that england have improved under his leadership

he's also brought in more exciting young players than any england manager that i can remember, giving those players important game time and paving the way for future managers to perform well......no doubt fabio will be given no credit for the devlopment of those players

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
i'm not trying to claim that capello is some sort of managerial god........and neither do i believe that we'll win the euro's under him, i just think he's given too hard a time by the press and fans, when in reality anyone intelligent can see that england have improved under his leadership

he's also brought in more exciting young players than any england manager that i can remember, giving those players important game time and paving the way for future managers to perform well......no doubt fabio will be given no credit for the devlopment of those players

Agree, he's an easy scape goat for the fans/media because he's a Jonny Foreigner who doesn't speak English too well.

Hopefully he'll keep the youngsters in the starting XI for the Euro's and not end up reverting to Terry/Ferdinand at the back and Barry/Lampard/Gerrard in midfield

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I really can't believe that (not actually saying it's false, but I'm staggered). Liverpool seem to have improved a lot under Dalgleish and now sit in 6th place, 3 points off third. Did Hodgson ever have them that high?

To be fair to Dalglish, he hasn't had the chance to up his win ratio by beating teams of postmen from Estonia in the Europa League.

But it's still an interesting stat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here