Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Do You Want As Next England Manager?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Harry Redknapp is a good call, pretty sure that the players and fans would be happy with him as manager, however the FA might be put off by his health issues and the impending legal procedings relating to his time at Pompey.

My choice, if we have to go for an Englishman, would be Roy Hodgson. He has managed a fair few teams, including an international one, he has the experience required and would probably be considered a safe pair of hands.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Not sure even Harry will be acceptable to the FA given that he may have a criminal record or maybe his health might be a factor by then.

Even though Pearce has done ok in his apprenticeship with the U-21s I am not sure he has done enough to get the job. Mind you I would love to see Pearce going toe to toe with John Terry.

What price certain parts of the media pushing for Beckham to get it?

I can see a Southgate, Pardew, Allardyce (eeek) or even an Adkins type getting the job mainly 'cos they are English. Doesn't fill me with excitement and won't exactly put the fear of God into the Spanish or Germans. So I wouldn't be surprised if (sadly) it went to another foreigner.

Oct 25, 2003
We've always gone for the best out there and it hasn't worked. Why try this again and again ?

We absolutely should move away from this philosophy and get a manager who we know players will put their hearts on the line for.

Harry Redknapp fits the bill like no one else.

we've gone for "the best" twice in my lifetime, both times (eriksson and capello) have picked up AWFUL england teams, left in tatters by inadequete english managers, and both of them are near the top of the pile for english managers in terms of win ratios etc.

whatever people say about capello, he picked up a side that didn't even qualify for the euro's, and took them to the 2nd round of the world cup

sven picked up a team that bombed in 2000, took them to 2 world cup quarter finals

we've gone for "passion" before and it's generally ended badly

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Arsene Wenger - we'd play some lovely stuff even if we carry on winning sod all.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Me,I am English,patriotic to the core and would be a complete bastard to the players if they f***ed about not playing properly and all that,oh,and I can shout very loudly and make hand gestures.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
David Beckham

International football requires a motivator not a master tactician
What, like Kevin Keegan? And what on earth makes you think Beckham will be a good motivator?

Basically sir, you are talking absolute bollocks. And what's more a brief glance at our international history will prove that.

Oct 25, 2003
i just wish there was a bobby robson type manager around these days........someone who has a proven track record both here and abroad (i know his career abroad was post-england), well respected by the players (if not the media) and an all round top manager

but there isn't

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A safe pair of hands doesn't seem that thrilling to me, surely at international level it's do or die, not just turn up and hope to do the best.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Definitely Nigel Adkins. Has the Midas touch.

Oct 25, 2003
is o'neill actually that great? his biggest achievements seem to be upper mid table premiership positions, i think he also won the carling cup at leicester. Having said that both leicester and villa went downhill rapidly after o'neill left, which suggests he's good at getting players to perform at or above their best

then with celtic won the SPL (big woop) and got to a uefa cup final........however they did have larsson in that team who was one of the best strikers in europe at the time

i'd say he has a "pretty good" track record and probably a better bet than most of the english managers mentioned, i wouldn't say he's like the prodigal son or anything though

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I can't see any further than Redknapp, the FA should be on their knees begging him to take the poisoned chalice. Heaven forbid Pearce or Hodgson getting a look in.

Oct 25, 2003
hodgson has the benefit of having managed abroad AND having already managed at international level (took switzerland to their best finish in decades and came closer than anyone to getting finland into a tournament), however both of those roles don't compare to the england job with regards to expectation

as for club level, he did fairly well at inter, not amazing but alright, and wasn't really given enough time at liverpool, but was doing badly....they're his two 'biggest' jobs and the ones with the most expectation....he's done best with fulham, where he was superb, and getting teams from fairly minor leagues to over achieve in europe

in general he seems to have done best where he's managing small teams where perhaps he can install an 'underdog' mentality, not sure the english media would let him get away with that

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wenger with Beckham as assistant and Pearce as the loud mouth yob bitching on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here