Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will they actually get it in their thick heads .....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm all for the UK legislation that says you are not entitled to stab an already-unconscious intruder. That makes sense surely to everyone. If they're awake though, a machete to the neck is called for.

Easy access to weaponry is of course a serious problem in the US. Mostly in the name of defending oneself, that paranoid thought-process that i'm best to tool up and become an expert at firing just in case someone comes at me at some point in my life. When someone snaps, you don't really want them to have a full arsenal at their disposal. You want to make it as difficult as possible for any human being to have dangerous weaponry. Which is the same message many American politicians give when wishing to attack Iran or justify the latest Iraqi war.

Did someone hack your account?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Gun controls are tight in this country firstly you need a reason to own a gun
Say rabbit control
Then you can only apply for the caliber of gun needed for this job ( you won't get a tank to shoot rabbits)
You must have land with permission to shoot the gun on
You are limited to the amount of ammo you can buy and keep at home
You must have a gun cabinet and a separate ammo store with own key
2 refs from suitable people
A clean bill of Heath from your doctor
Plus a visit from the police
Not been in prison for over 3 years

So do any of the shooters at any of the schools in the States fail on any of those or would they have been cleared for ownership by the UK rules if applied had there at the time? ie - police visit, storage, no prison record, ok'd by Dr, etc (the rest could apply too, especially if they came from a rural area)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Tired statistic.

Does it not prove that in the USA that gun ownership needs to addressed ? If the Canadians can quite happily exist whilst owning guns then no problem there.

Same as the concern over alcohol consumption in this country. Other European countries don't need restrictions but then again they don't choose to drink themselves to oblivion and smash up high streets on a Friday night.

The ease of gun ownership in America quite obviously does cause these incidents because it appears people with pyschological problems can get access to firearms with ease.They have a right you see....

So its a cultural thing then, maybe that culture needs to be addressed

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
"Banging on" is an understatement. The Maine state constitution states "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned. "

Never. Be. Questioned.

It's the state religion. Not Protestant Christianity, not even Christianity.

Guns.

As Tertullian of Carthage said: "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church."

20 more witnesses to the faith today.

I've read your last two posts, don't understand a bloody word of either of them and can't figure if you are for or against, can you try in plain english?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So do any of the shooters at any of the schools in the States fail on any of those or would they have been cleared for ownership by the UK rules if applied had there at the time? ie - police visit, storage, no prison record, ok'd by Dr, etc (the rest could apply too, especially if they came from a rural area)

One might suspect that the clean bill of health from the doctor may be an issue. For me if someone is capable of doing something like this you would hope they were on the radar of mental health experts. Don't know if this guy was but you would hope he/they had been flagged up somewhere.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I spoke to an american cop some years back, he was on holiday but worked in chicago. They had several cases of a multiple homicides being linked to the same weapon. They got lucky and retrieved one of the weapons - it had serial number and was registered. Swat team to the registered owners address. Arrest the middle class white guy. "Do you own [whatever gun it was]?" "I've had a few of those" "Well this one had a [some shit about grips or whatever]" "Oh yeah, I threw that one away a few months back - barrel was discoloured" "What do you mean you threw it away? " "I put it in the trash"

Later transpired that one of the main sources of illegally supplied firearms was the city waste authority. Place was full of rich gun nuts slinging out pieces because they weren't pretty anymore.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'd like to see the stats for Mexico - seems there's a few hundred shot every couple of weeks. All seems drug cartel related though.

As you asked. 'Surprisingly' less than Brazil, but I would expect that is only because Hollywood has told Europeans how awful Mexico is. City of God probably gives a fairer reflection.

Mexico
15,500,000 civilian firearms - 15 for every 100 people
Ranked 42 in the world for civilian gun ownership

In the latest year, there were 11,309 homicides by firearm - 9.97 per 100,000 population. 54.9% of all homicides are by firearm

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I've read your last two posts, don't understand a bloody word of either of them and can't figure if you are for or against, can you try in plain english?

You can't 'be against'. it's illegal. At least it is here.

Acting in contravention of the state constitution is at minimum a cause for a civil suit.

It's not that different than being Baha'i in Iran.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So its a cultural thing then, maybe that culture needs to be addressed

.. and part of the culture is quite obviously gun ownership. Where we agree is that you can't look at it in isolation. Where we disagree is what you do about it when we can't.

I have less of a problem with gun ownership than the problem of fruit cakes owning them.

One problem is a lot easier to solve than the other.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I don't suppose people in Newhaven ever have a need to use Apple, Microsoft, Dell, Disney, HP, GE, Boeing or Ford (to name a few) products created by stupid Americans......Insular, racially and politically divided, with too many pockets of shocking poverty and unacceptable levels of education. They're definitely guilty. Could be Croydon I'm describing.

Mate. They still point at aeroplanes in Newhaven. I have been there and agree with you that the folk of "the gateway to dieppe" are insular, racist and politically divided between the Nazi Party, aryan nations and solidarnosc. The poverty on Denton island is indeed horrifying and they do appear to be educationally subnormal with shocking pockets almost to the borders of peacehaven and distant Lewes.

I'm glad you had the courage to come out and say it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That makes sense to me, apart from the prison bit. If someone has been out of prison for 4 years, it's OK?

Ì should be allowed to own a Glock if i've only been to prison for tax evasion:moo:

As for the right to bare arms, i'm sure that was origionally for local militia around 200 years ago but Americans read it in their constitution as everybody can have one.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One might suspect that the clean bill of health from the doctor may be an issue. For me if someone is capable of doing something like this you would hope they were on the radar of mental health experts. Don't know if this guy was but you would hope he/they had been flagged up somewhere.

Is someone being bullied at uni or college going to have a Dr saying they are unfit to own a gun? That person may snap and look to get even by taking a gun in and looking to kill their tormentors (and anyone else who may try to stop them / get in their way)

If someone commits a shocking crime or commits suicide, often you hear that it was completely out of character for them so why would it be obvious to a Dr unless the perpetrator was already seeking medical help? Do the individuals have to see a Dr or do the authorities write to the Dr and ask if they have any concerns about the licensee?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ì should be allowed to own a Glock if i've only been to prison for tax evasion:moo:

As for the right to bare arms, i'm sure that was origionally for local militia around 200 years ago but Americans read it in their constitution as everybody can have one.

I think, for tax evasion, a Glock would be compulsory. So long as you are not a commie..... Gu Bay Beckons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here