Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We choose to underfund our education system, undermine parental and school discipline and promote the accumulation of things made cheaply and cast aside with little thought. We as a nation are responsible for this and its clear when you see other countries just how wrong we have got things over the last 30/40 years. This is our fault collectively..

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Bring back the birch

That will learn them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ban cyclists and pedestrians. Force everyone to drive and half will give up before they get there, the other half will see the cost of parking if they can find a space, then go home. Job done.

Didn’t stop people In Bournemouth- they parked on double yellow lines, roundabouts, traffic islands, double parked, on top of other cars..... well maybe not that, but close.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We choose to underfund our education system, undermine parental and school discipline and promote the accumulation of things made cheaply and cast aside with little thought. We as a nation are responsible for this and its clear when you see other countries just how wrong we have got things over the last 30/40 years. This is our fault collectively..

I don’t personally choose to underfund education. Quite the opposite. I’d pay more tax to fund public services in general. The country gets the governments it deserves

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The UK has thick underclass that think the world owes them a living, won’t be told what to do, or even listen to reason, who are totally selfish and have no respect for the environment, themselves or others. It’s a very, very sad situation and needs a cultural change of attitude similar to what happened with drink driving and to a lesser extent smoking in enclosed spaces.

Yes. hard to disagree with this.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The UK has thick underclass that think the world owes them a living, won’t be told what to do, or even listen to reason, who are totally selfish and have no respect for the environment, themselves or others. It’s a very, very sad situation and needs a cultural change of attitude similar to what happened with drink driving and to a lesser extent smoking in enclosed spaces.

We should really stop voting for governments that maintain the current state of affairs.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have never really understood why we don't do this. Time off sentence for compliance and performance. Time added on for non compliance. Prisoners get out of cells and some sense of purpose. Litter gets cleared up at reduced cost.

View attachment 125419

I wonder what the difference between a 'living wage' and 'cost of inmate' is per annum?

Not asking for a friend at all, just curious.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don’t personally choose to underfund education. Quite the opposite. I’d pay more tax to fund public services in general. The country gets the governments it deserves

Whilst I don't doubt your sincerity in wanting better funding, am I right in thinking that as a pensioner you would not be paying any more anyway? In an earlier exchange, I distinctly recall you claiming poverty. As a general point, it is quite common to see folk saying that they would be prepared to pay more, but in reality, when it comes down to it, they might just be reluctant to pay sums larger than a pittance.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have never really understood why we don't do this. Time off sentence for compliance and performance. Time added on for non compliance. Prisoners get out of cells and some sense of purpose. Litter gets cleared up at reduced cost.

View attachment 125419

We should do this.

No need for the inmate bibs, no need to humiliate someone.

The reason why it doesn't happen, I think, is because it's way cheaper to keep people locked in a pen than it is to supervise them out of one. Money would be saved elsewhere, though the prisons budget is different from the local council's litter picking one.

There are also increased risks of offending, absconding and suicide which would need to be considered. But if I was banged up and I knew I had the chance to earn my way out with some graft in the open air, i'd definitely do it and there would be clear societal benefits

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Probably not, but if every Brightonian was proud of their environment I'm pretty sure 'the message' would soon get across to the grockles.

Probably not, at least the gentle folk of B&H I know aren't that interested in civil war, fighting on beaches or in the streets.

It will happen though

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst I don't doubt your sincerity in wanting better funding, am I right in thinking that as a pensioner you would not be paying any more anyway? In an earlier exchange, I distinctly recall you claiming poverty. As a general point, it is quite common to see folk saying that they would be prepared to pay more, but in reality, when it comes down to it, they might just be reluctant to pay sums larger than a pittance.

I work with a few pensioners . . . . Yes they only work 3 or 4 days a week, have service pensions, and the poor fat slap heads complain about having to pay the upper rate of tax. . . . . There's a reason why final salary pension schemes no longer exist for the vast majority.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I work with a few pensioners . . . . Yes they only work 3 or 4 days a week, have service pensions, and the poor fat slap heads complain about having to pay the upper rate of tax. . . . . There's a reason why final salary pension schemes no longer exist for the vast majority.

Yes, I am sure that some/many pensioners do indeed pay tax -as a fat slap head, I do . . . .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most seaside resorts I’ve been to abroad seem to have more bins and more collections than Brighton does. Don’t think there is more littering here than most places but think local authorities here don’t have the money or resources to adapt to deal with inevitable human behaviours. Saying “take your litter home” doesn’t work if they aren’t local.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sadly, too many people are just selfish scum and frankly don’t give a shit about anything or anybody else so long as they are having a good time. Hard to know how you fix that but it definitely seems to be getting worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here