Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
True, and people dropping litter can't all be from out of town.
But I would say anyone going onto the beach is visiting the beach, so the mocked up sign applies to everyone.

Also students are effectively visitors they may be longer term visitors but not necessarily seasiders and ignorant of the effect they have.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm quite proud of that one. Been shared quite a lot.

Meanwhile, this isn't a council problem, and people shouldn't be making out it is. They are the ones who do actually clean it up. This is a 'responsibility of the individuals' problem. They took the rubbish on the beach, they can take it off.

But is is a Council problem, this isn’t just a beech issue, the city is filthy at present, I know as I spend 8 hours a day driving round the whole area, the recycling bins are always over flowing, communal bins are a haven for fly tipping and the gulls are hoisting the top layers of the overflowing bins and depositing the waste all over the streets.

Take your old neck of the woods ( You live in Worthing now right) Blakers Park bins always overflowing so people put their rubbish beside them, then this rubbish gets blown all over the park. Southdown and Cumberland residents are trying to deal with the rubbish themselves to keep their neighbourhood clean.

As I said more collections required and never have a bin more than a quarter full. The council aren’t responsible for putting the litter there but they are responsible for cleaning it up, therefore it IS their problem.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The city supermarket formats Sainsburys local, tesco metro have a lot to answer for. Supermarkets package stuff to protect it for a large weekly shop. No one does this in these smaller stores and the supermarkets use the same amount of packaging, which ends up left on our beaches, balanced on top or beside overflowing bins and ripped up by wildlife.

Good point and the growth of these metro type stores is rising.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
But is is a Council problem, this isn’t just a beech issue, the city is filthy at present, I know as I spend 8 hours a day driving round the whole area, the recycling bins are always over flowing, communal bins are a haven for fly tipping and the gulls are hoisting the top layers of the overflowing bins and depositing the waste all over the streets.

Take your old neck of the woods ( You live in Worthing now right) Blakers Park bins always overflowing so people put their rubbish beside them, then this rubbish gets blown all over the park. Southdown and Cumberland residents are trying to deal with the rubbish themselves to keep their neighbourhood clean.

As I said more collections required and never have a bin more than a quarter full. The council aren’t responsible for putting the litter there but they are responsible for cleaning it up, therefore it IS their problem.

You just perfecly described my street before all this kicked off it is so much worse now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I agree. Give people the facilities and they’ll be used. Regular collections, separate bins. I think people genuinely want to recycle and deal with refuse but they go to the back of the beach and bins are overflowing - much of the litter is blowing around where it is placed next to already overflowing bins.

Brighton has a litter problem because the city doesn’t have an effective litter and refuse strategy. Signed some utter shite contracts over the years from providers who don’t give a monkeys.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I don't disagree about the city-wide issue.

But we are talking about the beaches here. And you seem to be absolving the people who litter them of blame. The council clean the beaches every day. It's just that the amount of litter is appalling, and is not the fault of the council. It's the fault of the people who litter.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The councils need to up their game . . . . Pay people to Empty bins etc more regularly and on the spot fines for litter bugs to pay for them, there are no excuses.

Pest control would help as well, start culling sky rats, notably seagulls and pigeons

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
I know this is a UK issue but i'm only interested in what happens in Brighton and Hove.

This week saw 11 tons of litter removed from Brighton beach, our parks are in a disgusting state with staff having to start at 5am and spend all day clearing other people's rubbish.

Bigger bins are not the answer....they would get filled with domestic waste (old furniture, building rubbish, garden waste etc) in no time.

Maybe someone out there has the answer.

To start with, i'd increase the fine to £1,000 for dropping litter or leaving it beside a bin. This could easily pay for more enforcement officers.

Slap me if i'm wrong.....but please feel free to post your (sensible) ideas.

How attitudes and behavior are changed is beyond me. In an earlier life, when working in the West Country (council role) I was involved in trying to cut down on litter by giving people more chance to bin rubbish and recycle by supplying bigger bins, more information etc. The rubbish placed in them went mad. People would actually drive to the beach just to put their own domestic and trade waste in them. One person had actually hacked up a sofa into smaller pieces to put in one of these this bins. Large amount of boiler parts, broken tools, plaster powder etc. It wasn't an open skip or anything, standard bin opening.

Costs of waste disposal are huge - sadly the public dump rubbish everywhere, meaning the council have to spend fortunes clearing up - and then the public moan that council services for health, education, social care etc need to improve and have more money spent on them. Its sad but frankly I've given up on thinking public behavior will improve at all, i feel its quite the opposite.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I agree. Give people the facilities and they’ll be used. Regular collections, separate bins. I think people genuinely want to recycle and deal with refuse but they go to the back of the beach and bins are overflowing - much of the litter is blowing around where it is placed next to already overflowing bins.

Brighton has a litter problem because the city doesn’t have an effective litter and refuse strategy. Signed some utter shite contracts over the years from providers who don’t give a monkeys.

We had our seperate bins taken away because of the gulls spreading rubbish from the overflow supposedly but i suspect it was more that they didnt want to walk up and down stairs. Now we have it much much worse because we still have an overflow but the communal bins capacity is nowhere near what seperate bins had. We still have small recycling boxes yet we have as many residents as houses that have massive recycling individual bins and they are collected every two weeks from a box...a box where you are supposed to seperate glass from everything else...when all is working well...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

But we are talking about the beaches here. And you seem to be absolving the people who litter them of blame. The council clean the beaches every day. It's just that the amount of litter is appalling, and is not the fault of the council. It's the fault of the people who litter.

The title doesn’t mention beach’s ,

I’m not suggesting the blame doesn’t lie with the perps but regretfully the council are responsible for cleaning up. Therefore it’s the council’s problem if they fail.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
How attitudes and behavior are changed is beyond me. In an earlier life, when working in the West Country (council role) I was involved in trying to cut down on litter by giving people more chance to bin rubbish and recycle by supplying bigger bins, more information etc. The rubbish placed in them went mad. People would actually drive to the beach just to put their own domestic and trade waste in them. One person had actually hacked up a sofa into smaller pieces to put in one of these this bins. Large amount of boiler parts, broken tools, plaster powder etc. It wasn't an open skip or anything, standard bin opening.

Costs of waste disposal are huge - sadly the public dump rubbish everywhere, meaning the council have to spend fortunes clearing up - and then the public moan that council services for health, education, social care etc need to improve and have more money spent on them. Its sad but frankly I've given up on thinking public behavior will improve at all, i feel its quite the opposite.

When I lived in Germany they had a collection day when all furniture etc was picked up and disposed of free of charge. I forget the frequency they did it but this meant that it was the easier option. When it is an easier and cheaper option to cut up a sofa and driving it to a place you can dump it what do you expect to happen.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

A suggestion was made that we track and fine whoever purchased the rubbish and then has expanded to why that would be a bad idea given our citys situation with refuse collection.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The councils need to up their game . . . . Pay people to Empty bins etc more regularly and on the spot fines for litter bugs to pay for them, there are no excuses.

See post #57

There is no excuse for dropping litter, if there is a bin nearby use it, if full find another or take rubbish home.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The beach is an asset that needs looking after. The city desires it being packed (normally) and spends millions attracting tourists. It therefore does have responsibility for ensuring the volume of waste can be dealt with. We can’t be expecting tourists to come to spend their money in our city then walk around with waste all day long because either they can’t find a bin, or the ones they find are overflowing.

Employ and pay for youngsters to comb the beach all day if necessary. The Albion do this at the Amex where young teenagers get a decent bit of pocket money clearing the waste from the stadium after a match. The same should apply to the beach. I’ve experienced it buying a family meal of fish and chips, surely the life blood of a trip to the seaside and carried the greasy paper for ages until I could find a bin - utterly ridiculous to expect people to do this when you’ve set the town up to have takeaways and outlets directly serving those on the beach.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The problem isn't just the litter, the whole place is a mess, so 'what difference does a little bit of rubbish make'?

Give the city a freakin massive scrub down, behind the ears, everywhere.
No more shabby chic bollox.
Sort out the homeless problem.
Lose the cars.
Increase green space.

Make the town look like somewhere you don't drop rubbish.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The problem isn't just the litter, the whole place is a mess, so 'what difference does a little bit of rubbish make'?

Lose the cars.
Increase green space.

This, plenty of people are suggesting that folk don’t give a damn about social distancing as members of the government don’t so same could be said about litter, if the council don’t appear interested in picking it up why should people worry about leaving or dropping it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The city supermarket formats Sainsburys local, tesco metro have a lot to answer for. Supermarkets package stuff to protect it for a large weekly shop. No one does this in these smaller stores and the supermarkets use the same amount of packaging, which ends up left on our beaches, balanced on top or beside overflowing bins and ripped up by wildlife.
not really, the only responsibility is on people littering.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Lose the cars.
Increase green space.

The people drinking and dropping rubbish on the beach and in the parks won't give a shite about any of the above sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here