Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This, plenty of people are suggesting that folk don’t give a damn about social distancing as members of the government don’t so same could be said about litter, if the council don’t appear interested in picking it up why should people worry about leaving or dropping it.

How about a sense of responsibility and decency?
How difficult is it to either put your rubbish in a bin or take it home.
So many people are totally selfish and expect someone else to clear up after them and then join in protests about climate change and BLM.
A whole generation of hypocrites.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The people drinking and dropping rubbish on the beach and in the parks won't give a shite about any of the above sadly.

Probably not, but if every Brightonian was proud of their environment I'm pretty sure 'the message' would soon get across to the grockles.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
not really, the only responsibility is on people littering.

Really? Certainly for stuff just left or thrown, but a major problem is overflowing bins from too much packaging. It doesn't matter how many take it home notices you stick up, people think if they have put it by a bin, they have done their bit.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've shops on Kings Road. During my weekly visits over the past three months I've seen cleaners marching up and down with their big bins with nothing to do. Doubt the council furloughed anybody but these guys could have been first even if the union insist on the council paying the extra 20%
Then Wednesday 24th June and 30c temperatures. Where did they all go? No rubbish to collect, lots of sweepers. Tons of rubbish no sweepers. It's magic. Caught up with a council official on Friday morning with Kings Road still not cleaned and she told me it wont get cleaned. I stood my ground and 30 minutes later three cleaners arrived. We shop owners who pay high rates deserve better service.
And before someone says the council have no money, who pays for those green jacketed security guys stopping people going on to the beach. Must have been at least 30 of them. All done a 7 hour shift on Friday when they outnumbered the tourists. Should have sent them home at 11 am or got them picking up rubbish.
rant over. One day I'll tell you how I nearly got arrested standing in front of a bin lorry who refused to pick up the rubbish he had dropped on the street. I won of course.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Speaking to a councillor today, the problem with litter patrols issuing on-the-spot fines (not a bad way of tackling it) is that they don't work after dark, and after dark is when the majority of the littering occurs.

What about a 'some time after dark' sanitising spray using one of those crop sprayer planes, launched from Shoreham airport.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I've shops on Kings Road. During my weekly visits over the past three months I've seen cleaners marching up and down with their big bins with nothing to do. Doubt the council furloughed anybody but these guys could have been first even if the union insist on the council paying the extra 20%
Then Wednesday 24th June and 30c temperatures. Where did they all go? No rubbish to collect, lots of sweepers. Tons of rubbish no sweepers. It's magic. Caught up with a council official on Friday morning with Kings Road still not cleaned and she told me it wont get cleaned. I stood my ground and 30 minutes later three cleaners arrived. We shop owners who pay high rates deserve better service.
And before someone says the council have no money, who pays for those green jacketed security guys stopping people going on to the beach. Must have been at least 30 of them. All done a 7 hour shift on Friday when they outnumbered the tourists. Should have sent them home at 11 am or got them picking up rubbish.
rant over. One day I'll tell you how I nearly got arrested standing in front of a bin lorry who refused to pick up the rubbish he had dropped on the street. I won of course.

giphy.gif

:drama:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I have never really understood why we don't do this. Time off sentence for compliance and performance. Time added on for non compliance. Prisoners get out of cells and some sense of purpose. Litter gets cleared up at reduced cost.

Prisoners.PNG

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The UK has thick underclass that think the world owes them a living, won’t be told what to do, or even listen to reason, who are totally selfish and have no respect for the environment, themselves or others. It’s a very, very sad situation and needs a cultural change of attitude similar to what happened with drink driving and to a lesser extent smoking in enclosed spaces.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I can imagine that trying to run businesses on Brighton seafront can be a little trying at the best of times.

If you've avoided physical violence up till now, you're a better man than me :wink:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Those litter pickers should do something more worthwhile. What's the point in worrying about a bit of rubbish left on the beach when, if you just leave it, it will all be taken away by the sea anyway? :shrug:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Unfortunately the recent mass gatherings (political , beach etc) during a pandemic, plus violence towards police , vandalism , litter etc has just highlighted what a sad mess this country and a lot of its youth has become. It beggars belief :( and so much good work has been wasted.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The problem isn't just the litter, the whole place is a mess, so 'what difference does a little bit of rubbish make'?

Give the city a freakin massive scrub down, behind the ears, everywhere.
No more shabby chic bollox.
Sort out the homeless problem.
Lose the cars.
Increase green space.

Make the town look like somewhere you don't drop rubbish.

It's been in decline ever since it got called a city. IMO.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just take it home with you after your day out. Whenever myself and the family go out to the beach or somewhere similar we always take a bin bag with us to put all our rubbish in. At the end of our time out we just tie it up and take it home and put it in our dustbin. What's so difficult about that?

Nothing apart from you are not lazy and so that you care. :clap2: IMG_20181020_143149.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Far more bins needed, including a recycling section.

Fines on the spot.

Change can occur. Up until the mid 70’s most people were animals, littering at will, zero interest in the environment, wild fauna and flora. The Keep Britain Tidy campaign and the threat of fines really did work. Some oxygen thieves will always stick two fingers up to society and the planet, let’s catch and fine the cnts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately the recent mass gatherings (political , beach etc) during a pandemic, plus violence towards police , vandalism , litter etc has just highlighted what a sad mess this country and a lot of its youth has become. It beggars belief :( and so much good work has been wasted.

Sadly it’s not new. Glastonbury are left with 200 plus tonnes of litter, dumped new tents, every year.

Littering attendees excused because they’re “revellers”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here