Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Round them, put them a field and bomb the ********.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
In Germany you get money back for taking your beer bottles to a bottle bank. It makes drinking beer very cheap and could easily be arranged with these bottle banks across the city and in almost every supermarket.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The vendors should have the ability to print say either the last 4 digits of the buyers credit card or their postcode onto packaging at the time of purchase. Litter pickers then pass the details to the authorities to issue fines, and for repeat offenders take further action.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Banning alcohol, imposing fines etc etc is all well and good but it needs to be enforced and I don’t think that will happen. People are too scared to stand up to them. We need peer pressure to make it unacceptable to leave crap behind and a few more old gits like me to remind them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Chemical castration of all offenders, so they don’t breed another generation of selfish ****wits.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Shame people, growing up on everything you bought and everywhere you looked was "keep britian tidy" and the picture of the little man and a bin .......... Or cut their hand off

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The UK has thick underclass that think the world owes them a living, won’t be told what to do, or even listen to reason, who are totally selfish and have no respect for the environment, themselves or others. It’s a very, very sad situation and needs a cultural change of attitude similar to what happened with drink driving and to a lesser extent smoking in enclosed spaces.

And lots of different communities whose values aren’t same as ours. I was at a garden centre today and a bloke got out of his foreign number plated car, pissed on the verge, then went into the shop without batting an eyelid or even trying to hide himself from others. Also left kid in the car. Extraordinary. People just don’t give a **** anymore. They’ve been taught not to. By parents, government and a society that always shies away from confronting such behaviour by constantly giving them rights without teaching them responsibilities.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The main problem is that people think they can get away with leaving their litter around and can't be bothered to take it with them. They think the consequences for them will be low or that they won't be caught.

The only real solution is on the spot enforcement and a change of attitude that means people call each other out on leaving rubbish behind. People are afraid to say anything because they think they will get aggro back - and those leaving it behind are not ashamed. Probably need to work on a zero tolerance policy and a big campaign to point out to everyone what's wrong with leaving litter around.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So you believe that the people who wantonly leave this mountain of litter aren’t thick, selfish and irresponsible? Just making a political statement, are they?

Selfish and irresponsible, yes, for sure.

But I don't believe that everybody littering is part of a "thick underclass" as you suggested. What's more, if this underclass does exist I think it's a societal problem that needs to be solved.

Now we have people on this thread blaming it on foreigners. I despair. Might go hang out in the bear pit.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And lots of different communities whose values aren’t same as ours. I was at a garden centre today and a bloke got out of his foreign number plated car, pissed on the verge, then went into the shop without batting an eyelid or even trying to hide himself from others. Also left kid in the car. Extraordinary. People just don’t give a **** anymore. They’ve been taught not to. By parents, government and a society that always shies away from confronting such behaviour by constantly giving them rights without teaching them responsibilities.

There is a lot in what you say. It,s called respect and it starts at home like please and thank-you,sure have long hair vote ABC but wash your hands after using the toilet. I work in the delivery service industry driving (not multi drop) must turn up as Worzel Gummidge but not the 50+ age group drivers they are as a rule clean shoes,overalls maybe but collar and tie underneath. It's called standards and like it or not actually most of the public like it.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Selfish and irresponsible, yes, for sure.

But I don't believe that everybody littering is part of a "thick underclass" as you suggested. What's more, if this underclass does exist I think it's a societal problem that needs to be solved.

Now we have people on this thread blaming it on foreigners. I despair. Might go hang out in the bear pit.

I’ve had personal experience of those that leave their rubbish everywhere and who say “The council employs people to clear this mess up, so let them do it” It’s been the same for decades and has nothing to do with whatever political party is in government. These people are thick and just don’t give a shit. Would you leave your crap all over the beach? I’d like to think you wouldn’t. Would you make excuses for those that do? You already have.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ve had personal experience of those that leave their rubbish everywhere and who say “The council employs people to clear this mess up, so let them do it” It’s been the same for decades and has nothing to do with whatever political party is in government. These people are thick and just don’t give a shit. Would you leave your crap all over the beach? I’d like to think you wouldn’t. Would you make excuses for those that do? You already have.

I live right by the beach and as a rule people don't leave litter behind but when I do see anything, I'll pick it up and put it in the bin. I'd also have no qualms about telling someone else to take their own rubbish away if I saw them leave it.

I haven't made excuses for anyone. Earlier in the thread I suggested, in jest of course, shooting litterers on sight. I was merely irked by your snobbish comment about a "thick underclass".

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Stanmer Park Brighton earlier this month some people had a party, they put up a gazebo with happy birthday banners and had food and drinks.
They also went home leaving everything there.

This is the bad news, but there is some good news and a happy ending.
The man that bought the gazebo left the box it was delivered to his house in, the box had the delivery address and invoice still attached, this box was left at the park with the rubbish.
He was fined £400 and I believe made to clear everything up that his party had left at Stanmer Park.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I live right by the beach and as a rule people don't leave litter behind but when I do see anything, I'll pick it up and put it in the bin. I'd also have no qualms about telling someone else to take their own rubbish away if I saw them leave it.

I haven't made excuses for anyone. Earlier in the thread I suggested, in jest of course, shooting litterers on sight. I was merely irked by your snobbish comment about a "thick underclass".

It’s hardly a snobbish comment as it equally applies to all the privileged idiots who do the same at glastonbury every year. They are still a thick underclass.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I have last year where i got a present left to me after one pride night of a diarrea explosion, half a bottle of Jaegermeister and a small rainbow sock in the stairwell to my appartment. There is a toilet available 100 yards away. Doesnt surprise me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here