Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If it bothers you a lot then join us as a volunteer in the Brighton Tidy Up Team (when current restrictions are relaxed further, officially anyway):

https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/jobs/volunteering/volunteer-tidy-team

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170299870351009

Following my (council) induction I was amazed at how meagre the council's resources are for litter picking. To all those people who think, I'll leave it behind because the council pays lots of people to collect litter - that assumption is entirely false. It's mostly volunteers who litter pick.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
View attachment 125427

Stanmer Park Brighton earlier this month some people had a party, they put up a gazebo with happy birthday banners and had food and drinks.
They also went home leaving everything there.

This is the bad news, but there is some good news and a happy ending.
The man that bought the gazebo left the box it was delivered to his house in, the box had the delivery address and invoice still attached, this box was left at the park with the rubbish.
He was fined £400 and I believe made to clear everything up that his party had left at Stanmer Park.
[emoji23] that has made my weekend!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Whilst I don't doubt your sincerity in wanting better funding, am I right in thinking that as a pensioner you would not be paying any more anyway? In an earlier exchange, I distinctly recall you claiming poverty. As a general point, it is quite common to see folk saying that they would be prepared to pay more, but in reality, when it comes down to it, they might just be reluctant to pay sums larger than a pittance.

My/our income is not as much as it was two years ago, but:
1. We both pay tax, and pay it in line with our income. If my/our pensions increase, so does the tax we pay.
2. If I draw down money from my pension pot, I pay tax on it. If my annual income dictated it, I would end up paying higher rate tax. Obviously one is not going to do that unnecessarily
3. We would happily pay more tax if tax rates were raised.
4. We have two daughters and their partners all in the public sector, a doctor, a teacher, a customs officer and a training officer at the Welsh Assembly.
5. My wife spent all her career in education, much of it in enormously stressful senior positions, watching successive recent Conservative governments cut things to the bone and fund things which favoured the better off in society and disadvantaged poorer places, like where she was in Southampton.

We don't have enough civil servants. The reason Education is in such a mess at the moment is because I believe it is the department which suffered most from people being diverted to deal with BREXIT.

There are lots of people with considerably more money than me who spend a great deal of time and effort avoiding or evading their responsibilities - viz so it seems the case of Robert Jenrick and Richard Desmond. But our Prime Minister dies not seem to think it is a problem.?.....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Now we have people on this thread blaming it on foreigners. I despair. Might go hang out in the bear pit.

Eh? I think someone mentioned a bloke getting out of a car with a foreign number plate and having a wee outside a garden centre.

I think the thread was ticking along nicely until you turned up and mentioned politics :ffsparr:

Off you pop :bigwave:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its mostly groups of young lads or girls who see littering as a bit of an act of rebellion. I'm sure all of them are told by their parents that they shouldn't litter, but when they are together in a group its seen as cool or hard to throw your bottles and cans on the floor, effectively saying, hey look at me - I don't do as I'm told. As a result, their social standing in the group is raised. You see this wherever groups of kids gather. Somehow, and I've no idea how, this needs to be turned around so it becomes uncool to throw your bottles away. Its almost as if we need some sort of reverse psychology, so that its seen as rebellious to pick up your litter. How to achieve this though is completely beyond me.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Eh? I think someone mentioned a bloke getting out of a car with a foreign number plate and having a wee outside a garden centre.

I think the thread was ticking along nicely until you turned up and mentioned politics :ffsparr:

Off you pop :bigwave:

He mentioned "lots of different communities whose values aren’t same as ours" then told the anecdote about the fella with a foreign number plate. If that's not blaming foreigners, what is?

I didn't bring up politics either- another poster decided to blame Britain's "underclass". That made it political. Until then I was happily offering solutions :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ban bringing alcohol to the beach.
I know there are bars selling beers down there, i mean taking bottles and cans to the beach.

It’s so bloody selfish though! How anyone can leave a beech, let alone our home beech, with anything littered is beyond me! Morons. I just don’t get it one bit. I used to clear up if we’d left water bottles on the park playing field in East Sussex league. Except Hastings obviously.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Personally, i'd remove ALL of the bins. More bins isn't the answer....i took the bins out of the Rockery about 10 years ago and haven't noticed any increase in litter. If people are going to drop litter or leave it laying around, they'll do it whether there's a bin or not.

As for Herring Gulls....I agree but foxes, people letting their dogs to rummage around bins, even squirrels.....not sure where you'd stop.

why do people think killing animals is the solution to a very human problem.... the problem lies with those who litter, this includes people who fly tip, people who leave there bins overflowing so that the animals get to it and people who litter the beach or indeed any public place. If you hired 20 people to enforce the law by fining on the spot then problem will reduce. Make sure the 20 people are on an incentive scheme and that in first few weeks they are under cover so enough funds are collected to finance the scheme.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He mentioned "lots of different communities whose values aren’t same as ours" then told the anecdote about the fella with a foreign number plate. If that's not blaming foreigners, what is?

I didn't bring up politics either- another poster decided to blame Britain's "underclass". That made it political. Until then I was happily offering solutions :shrug:

And this is how threads end up in the Bear Pit, you sound like you have just come along for an argument.

You did bring up politics, or mentioned the word, that's what I meant, from his reply to you " unbelievable, it has nothing to do with politics " post #122, IMO it doesn't sound like he thought he was bringing up politics, or maybe didn't realise.

And so what if someone blamed a foreign person? This thread is about people having no respect, he was just reporting something he saw happen.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And this is how threads end up in the Bear Pit, you sound like you have just come along for an argument.

You did bring up politics, or mentioned the word, that's what I meant, from his reply to you " unbelievable, it has nothing to do with politics " post #122, IMO it doesn't sound like he thought he was bringing up politics, or maybe didn't realise.

And so what if someone blamed a foreign person? This thread is about people having no respect, he was just reporting something he saw happen.

Sorry, I just didn't think it was very constructive of either of them to blame the poor or immigrants/tourists. Perhaps I should have let it slide.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It’s so bloody selfish though! How anyone can leave a beech, let alone our home beech, with anything littered is beyond me! Morons. I just don’t get it one bit. I used to clear up if we’d left water bottles on the park playing field in East Sussex league. Except Hastings obviously.

Parks football, good point Hastings :lolol:
Both sons you see me with at the Amex have played football since a very young age, I've never been involved in coaching but helped with putting away goals, corner flags etc, and also picking up drinks bottles after games.
Sometimes you can see why kids leave rubbish because nobody tells them to pick it up.
Some lads don't even pick up their own property after games, I was collecting up training tops, hats and gloves and giving them back to players at under 14 level.

Oh and electrical tape everywhere, I'm not sure how players kept their football socks up when I was a kid :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Parks football, good point Hastings :lolol:
Both sons you see me with at the Amex have played football since a very young age, I've never been involved in coaching but helped with putting away goals, corner flags etc, and also picking up drinks bottles after games.
Sometimes you can see why kids leave rubbish because nobody tells them to pick it up.
Some lads don't even pick up their own property after games, I was collecting up training tops, hats and gloves and giving them back to players at under 14 level.

Oh and electrical tape everywhere, I'm not sure how players kept their football socks up when I was a kid :lolol:

Yeh the tape thing kind of came in 15 years ago or so. We used to rely on the sparkies in our team to come up trumps with that! Agree, the litter thing isn’t good at all. If my kid left anything I’d make sure they cleared it up. But the beech stuff is far worse for me as it’s adults and so bloody lazy - just Chuck it all in a carrier bag and dispose accordingly surely!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeh the tape thing kind of came in 15 years ago or so. We used to rely on the sparkies in our team to come up trumps with that! Agree, the litter thing isn’t good at all. If my kid left anything I’d make sure they cleared it up. But the beech stuff is far worse for me as it’s adults and so bloody lazy - just Chuck it all in a carrier bag and dispose accordingly surely!

The beach rubbish is definitely worse, and I've seen photos this week of many parks left littered with beer cans and bottles.
But if parents that have just watched their kid play in a match also told them to bring their drink bottles home or bin them it would be a start.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I saw a bloke throw a cigarette packet out of his sunroof whilst sitting at traffic lights on Brighton seafront. I picked it up and threw it back in!
I’ve picked up sweet wrappers, cigarette packet wrappers, till receipts etc that people have dropped in the street, called out ‘Excuse me, I think you dropped something’ with a smile and handed it back. People do seem to look surprised, then sheepish and apologise! :lol:
That was all back in the UK pre-COVID. I’m not sure I’d want to handle stuff these days.
Fortunately we don’t have the same problem in Australia although I do pick up odd bits of litter and bin them when I’m out walking the dog. Taking your litter off the beach is the normal but obviously there are exceptions.
Litter is my absolute bugbear. I hate it :censored::censored:
Love the story about the gazebo/party rubbish in the park:lol::lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here