Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Atheist

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anglican. High-church Anglo-catholic to be precise. None of that low church or 'happy clappy' nonsense for me!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Those options reveal an almost unbelievable ignorance of Christianity in Britain.

Two options only? Anglican and Catholic?

What about the three million PRACTISING Christians in the UK who are neither of these? There are more practising Presbyterians, Methodists and Baptists in Britain than there are regular attenders at Anglican churches. To say nothing of the independent and pentecostal churches.

There are also Anglicans who consider themselves Catholic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And why no option for Protestants? And can I presume that by 'Catholic', you mean 'Roman Catholic'? If not, the Anglo-Cathloics are going to have a problem!

because he has no knowledge of the subject and confuses anglican with the wider group of all protestant denominations.

having said that, ive never heard of a "anglo-catholic", catholic is catholic isnt it?

There are also Anglicans who consider themselves Catholic.

im pretty certain Anglican is by definition not Catholic and i cant see how the two would sit together. (anglo != anglican)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Interestingly enough, Anglo-Catholicism is very much alive in Brighton. I believe that a lot of the older churches were built in the 19th century by the Oxford movement.

My local CoE church has a vicar that calls himself father, there's bells and smells, a picture of MAry and it's even got a confessional.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
because he has no knowledge of the subject and confuses anglican with the wider group of all protestant denominations.

yeah, sorry. i would have included Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox Church, African Initiated Church, Pentecostalism, Reformed, Presbyterian, Congregational, United, Anglicanism, Episcopal Church, Baptist, Methodism, Lutheran, Jehovah's Witnesses, Latter-day Saints, Adventists, Apostolic, New Apostolic, Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement, New Thought, Unity, Christian Science, Brethren, Mennonite, Friends, Quakers, Sunni, Shia, Ahmadi, Druze, Secular, irreligious, agnostic, atheist, antitheistic, antireligious, humanism, deism, pantheism, rationalism, freethought, agnosticism, atheism, Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Neo-Hindus, Reform Hindus, Veerashaivas, Lingayats, Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhismm, Mahayana, Theravada, Vajrayana, Tibetan, animism, shamanism, paganism, Yoruba, Ewe (Vodou), condomble, santeria, voodoo, Sikhism, Spiritism, Umbanda, Conservative Jews, Unaffiliated and Secular Jews, Reform Jews, Orthodox Jews, Reconstructionist Jews, Bahá'í Faith, Jainism, Svetambara, Sthanakvasi, Digambar, Shinto, Cao Dai, Falun Gong, Tenrikyo, Neopaganism, Wicca, Asatru, Neo-druidism, Unitarian Universalism, Rastafari, Scientology and Zoroastrianism but brevity's the new black.

:dunce:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Read all about it ...

too much, but interesting non the less. bascially the fence sitting denomination. i suppose that would have been quite handy 400 years ago.

And what about the different versions of Islam then, there are at least two faiths there?

Actually I think there should only be one option to cover the Jews, the Christians and Muslims, seeing as how they all worship the same God.

Yep, fine by me. But my point was that, if you are giving the options Catholic and Anglican, you should also give the option Protestant. Persoanlly, I'd be happy with Christian as a single option covering all.

having said that, ive never heard of a "anglo-catholic", catholic is catholic isnt it?

im pretty certain Anglican is by definition not Catholic and i cant see how the two would sit together. (anglo != anglican)

Well, the current Archbishop of Canterbury is an Anglo-Catholic.

The Church of has never described itself as Protestant. Indeed, it describes itself as 'the one true catholic and apostolic church'. It has always considered itself as between Rome and Geneva, and has both catholic and protestant members.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
yeah, sorry. i would have included a lot of other words i had never heard about and just looked up.

still missing the point. seperating as protestant and catholic would have been more inclusive and caught 99% of christians, instead of excluding some large minority.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The Church of has never described itself as Protestant.

well, you live and learn, at least today hasn't been a complete waste :whisky:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

To simplify it a bit I think you're confusing Catholics with Roman Catholics. (There's more to it than that but that's a good definition) Although I said I'm 'Anglican' (see above) I'm far more at home in a Roman Catholic church than an Evangelical Anglican one.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
still missing the point. seperating as protestant and catholic would have been more inclusive and caught 99% of christians, instead of excluding some large minority.

anglicans hang down from the ceiling, catholics rise up from the ground, right?

but, essentially, you're pretty much all the same.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
anglicans hang down from the ceiling, catholics rise up from the ground, right?

but, essentially, you're pretty much all the same.

yes, its exactly the same as rock formations. and who are you refering to as "you're"? dont you mean they? do they teach you anything in school these days?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
To simplify it a bit I think you're confusing Catholics with Roman Catholics. (There's more to it than that but that's a good definition)

completely, i have always treated them as one and the same, and distinct from protestantism which i always consider anglican was (mostly by virtue that kings and queens down the ages have made that distinction). always good to learn though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I am a Roman Catholic, a Papist if you like.

Also Atheism shouldn't be on that list, it's not a religion.

Even the Agnostics are a tentative admission being the great fence sitters that they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here