Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Atheist

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yep, fine by me. But my point was that, if you are giving the options Catholic and Anglican, you should also give the option Protestant. Persoanlly, I'd be happy with Christian as a single option covering all.

Erm, I was actually advocating one option to cover all of the three monotheist branches, thus doing away with any necessity for a Jewish, Christian or Muslim option altogether. They all worship the same God, so why should they distinguish themselves?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Relapsed Catholic and more that a little cynical. However I do go to Mass with the future Mrs BHA as it makes her happy. I have been known to go to church with others as long as it keeps the peace, I reckon I can spend an hour or so humouring others even if I do think it's rubbish.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I'd be happy with Christian as a single option covering all.

yes, this clearly would have been the best option. sorry for any offence caused. it's just that christianity is such a popular religion, i thought i'd split it into two - and those two are the biggest. i didn't know what a hoo-ha it would cause.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
oh and I don't know what religion I am, my parents are both members of an Australian Church of England, and I attended St. Clements sunday school until I was old enough not to have to...

I'm not really religious any more but I'm sure you could argue successfully some of my values were placed in me at an early age from exposure to church ideals.

Some friends in NY who are Anglicans went to a church called Redeemer in NY which is Episcopalian - bizarre word....

Last edited:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Erm, I was actually advocating one option to cover all of the three monotheist branches, thus doing away with any necessity for a Jewish, Christian or Muslim option altogether. They all worship the same God, so why should they distinguish themselves?

Sikhism is also a mono god religion as is Bahai.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh and I don't know what religion I am, my parents are both members of an Australian Church of England, and I attended St. Clements sunday school until I was old enough not to have to...

I'm not really religious any more ...

so why question what religion you are? religion is not conferred from parentage, you choose (or coerced/brainwashed) to adopt one. if you dont hold to any particular religion, say so! dont just put yourself in pigeon hole A because your parents did. put down agnostic/humanist/deist if you feel a little religion but dont actually bother with any of it.

This is exactly the sort of thing Dawkins is going on about in the Delusion book, most people in the west non-religious, yet allow the minority that are religious to have an imbalance of power.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
so why question what religion you are? religion is not conferred from parentage, you choose (or coerced/brainwashed) to adopt one. if you dont hold to any particular religion, say so! dont just put yourself in pigeon hole A because your parents did. put down agnostic/humanist/deist if you feel a little religion but dont actually bother with any of it.

This is exactly the sort of thing Dawkins is going on about in the Delusion book, most people in the west non-religious, yet allow the minority that are religious to have an imbalance of power.

Fair point - what I have always wondered though is if because of a certain influence at a young age whether I have absorbed some teaching or other which I now use as the basis for my values/morals or whatever - even though I never conciously learnt them?

Say for example I was raised as a devout Catholic in my younger years and then "fell away" from it at some stage - would it still effect my subconcious and therefore my decisions? If you see my thinking?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Say for example I was raised as a devout Catholic in my younger years and then "fell away" from it at some stage - would it still effect my subconcious and therefore my decisions? If you see my thinking?

i think the answer is, only as far as you let it. Its apparent that our morals and ethics are actually quite independent of religion. I doubt it has no impact, most things in childhood do influence us throughout life, but we can break that influence if we choose to.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
i think the answer is, only as far as you let it. Its apparent that our morals and ethics are actually quite independent of religion. I doubt it has no impact, most things in childhood do influence us throughout life, but we can break that influence if we choose to.

I suppose then a more correct answer for me would be that I am not religious, but was raised in a very religious house....

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Tesco In Disguise clearly has no idea what he is talking about. Anglican or Catholic lol.

I see that once again it is the atheists who want to cause trouble. Funny thing is, so many of them seem to think it is religion that causes the trouble. I think we can see from NSC that this is not the case.

Not surprised that they are winning the poll, though, since a large chunk of the Christians in the UK don't even have an option they can vote for. Certainly nothing I could vote for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here