Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Atheist

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Dave, what is the point in letting this child wind you up ? Just let him post his made up pointless drivel - It makes him feel hard........

'made up'? go on...

and yes, it is making me feel hard. a little too hard, if you know what i mean.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
'made up'? go on...

and yes, it is making me feel hard. a little too hard, if you know what i mean.

Well....

just for a start my cherub.....saying DTG was a christian ? ?

if you had even an ounce of f***ing brain, you would have read Daves post on the 'nutter' thread bout his beliefs and maybe, just maybe, you might not continually write utter, made up, bullshit

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Now that's a much more interesting thing to debate.

Apart from not requiring a god, is humanism like a religion? Or is it totally different?

Humanism

Humanism is the belief that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs. Humanists make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values. We seek to make the best of the one life we have by creating meaning and purpose for ourselves. We take responsibility for our actions and work with others for the common good.

What humanists believe

Humanism is an approach to life based on humanity and reason - humanists recognise that moral values are properly founded on human nature and experience alone. Our decisions are based on the available evidence and our assessment of the outcomes of our actions, not on any dogma or sacred text.

Humanism encompasses atheism and agnosticism ‑ but is an active and ethical philosophy far greater than these negative responses to religion.

Humanists believe in individual rights and freedoms ‑ but believe that individual responsibility, social cooperation and mutual respect are just as important.

Humanists believe that people can and will continue to find solutions to the world's problems ‑ so that quality of life can be improved for everyone.

Humanists are positive ‑ gaining inspiration from our lives, art and culture, and a rich natural world.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Humanism

Humanism is the belief that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs. Humanists make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values. We seek to make the best of the one life we have by creating meaning and purpose for ourselves. We take responsibility for our actions and work with others for the common good.

What humanists believe

Humanism is an approach to life based on humanity and reason - humanists recognise that moral values are properly founded on human nature and experience alone. Our decisions are based on the available evidence and our assessment of the outcomes of our actions, not on any dogma or sacred text.

Humanism encompasses atheism and agnosticism ‑ but is an active and ethical philosophy far greater than these negative responses to religion.

Humanists believe in individual rights and freedoms ‑ but believe that individual responsibility, social cooperation and mutual respect are just as important.

Humanists believe that people can and will continue to find solutions to the world's problems ‑ so that quality of life can be improved for everyone.

Humanists are positive ‑ gaining inspiration from our lives, art and culture, and a rich natural world.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/

FLOG THE BASTARDS

We will have none of that namby pamby pinko leftish shite on here thankyou very much

There's an awful lot of "believing" in that definition of humanism, Mrs C. And stuff about expecting other people to act in a particular way.

I think that qualifies you for a spot in a poll about Religion.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thanks for the Flogging, Dave, just what I needed to wake me up, I was getting a bit sleepy there!
S'not namby pampy, S'just common sense init?

No problem my dear.

A good bit of floggin never did anyone any harm....just look at those fuzzy wuzzies in the deserts of Sudan........hang on,,,,,I feel a song coming on.....

In the deserts of Sudan
....something about yakatan

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes ... but is the god you don't believe in the kind, loving god of the New Testament, or the vengeful, judgemental god of the Old Testament? Or is she some other sort of god?

Any of them. I don't need imaginary friends.

And just to avoid arguments, I don't deny others their faith, before someone lambasts me for the above statement.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Those options reveal an almost unbelievable ignorance of Christianity in Britain.

Two options only? Anglican and Catholic?

What about the three million PRACTISING Christians in the UK who are neither of these? There are more practising Presbyterians, Methodists and Baptists in Britain than there are regular attenders at Anglican churches. To say nothing of the independent and pentecostal churches.

And what about the different versions of Islam then, there are at least two faiths there?

Actually I think there should only be one option to cover the Jews, the Christians and Muslims, seeing as how they all worship the same God.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And what about the different versions of Islam then, there are at least two faiths there?

Actually I think there should only be one option to cover the Jews, the Christians and Muslims, seeing as how they all worship the same God.

That is very true

the shits and the sunnies hate eachother.

Maybe humans are just not programmed to live with each other.

I blame bloody eve.....f she hadnt given adam the apple, we would all be living in paradise and Bill Archer would be a disease to be eradicated

....just look at those fuzzy wuzzies
A great and truly PROPHETIC analysis of conflict in the middle east ... I give you "Fuzzy-Wuzzy" by Rudyard Kipling:-

We've fought with many men acrost the seas,
An' some of 'em was brave an' some was not.
The Paythan an' the Zulu an' Burmese;
But the Fuzzy was the finest o' the lot.
We never got a ha'porth's change of 'im:
'E squatted in the scrub an' 'ocked our 'orses,
'E cut our sentries up at Suakim,
An' 'e played the cat an' banjo with our forces.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in the Soudan;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

We took our chanst among the Kyber 'ills,
The Boers knocked us silly at a mile,
The Burman give us Irriwaddy chills,
An' a Zulu impi dished us up in style:
But all we ever got from such as they
Was pop to what the Fuzzy made us swaller;
We 'eld our bloomin' own, the papers say,
But man for man the Fuzzy knocked us 'oller.
Then 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, an' the missis and the kid;
Our orders was to break you, an' of course we went an' did.
We sloshed you with Martinis, an' it wasn't 'ardly fair;
But for all the odds agin' you, Fuzzy-Wuz you broke the square.

'E 'asn't got no papers of 'is own,
'E 'asn't got no medals nor rewards,
So we must certify the skill 'e's shown
In usin' of 'is long two-'anded swords:
When 'e's 'oppin' in an' out among the bush
With 'is coffin-'eaded shield an' shovel-spear,
An 'appy day with Fuzzy on the rush
Will last an 'ealthy Tommy for a year.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, an' your friends which are no more,
If we 'adn't lost some messmates we would 'elp you to deplore;
But give an' take's the gospel, an' we'll call the bargain fair,
For if you 'ave lost more than us, you crumpled up the square!

'E rushes at the smoke when we let drive,
An', before we know, 'e's 'ackin' at our 'ead;
'E's all 'ot sand an' ginger when alive,
An' 'e's generally shammin' when 'e's dead.
'E's a daisy, 'e's a ducky, 'e's a lamb!
'E's a injia-rubber idiot on the spree,
'E's the on'y thing that doesn't give a damn
For a Regiment o' British Infantree!
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in the Soudan;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen, but a first-class fightin' man;
An' 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, with your 'ayrick 'ead of 'air—
You big black boundin' beggar for you broke a British square!

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
There's an awful lot of "believing" in that definition of humanism, Mrs C. And stuff about expecting other people to act in a particular way.

I think that qualifies you for a spot in a poll about Religion.

I think the only thing Humanists expect from other people is common sense and a belief that morals and good behaviour are at the root of a decent society without being told that our actions are swayed by either a God (good) or a Devil (evil). I certainly dont expect anyone to act or think in the way that I do, unlike some religions who actively seek to 'convert' people to their way of thinking. If other people chose to live their lives in a way that their variation of church or bible dictates, then so be it. They're not a Humanist if they dont believe their actions are governed solely by themselves and I wouldn't choose to try to sway them. I know for some people religion offers comfort, companionship and faith and I'm pleased for them. I dont think Humanists expect anyone to act in a particular way, it's just the way they define for themselves. A good life without religion. What I do object to is religious beliefs that condemn others and cause pain and suffering 'in the name of belief', and I'd stand up and be counted against that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here