Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente out of squad for Burnley

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah guess not as simple as just getting rid.

Shame its not.

Why are you so determined to get rid of what could be a pivotal player to us in the second half of the season? I don't understand the obsession. Who's he harming by just sitting there at the moment?

We KNEW the risks when we signed him. Nothing has changed.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Indeed, I'm all for mindgames, but they are taking the piss a bit. Official site "Hoskins is an injury doubt for Middlesbrough" - Naylor "I've just spoken to Will Hoskins and he's confirmed he's damaged knee ligaments, out for 6 weeks"

Indeed Hoskins is an even worse case of "big expectation - not many games" syndrone that seem to have crept in to this squad.

His record shows he barely gets 20 games a season - that must tell you something. Is he the new Darren Anderton?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why does Vicente get so much stick, when Buckley & Hoskins have been crocked just as much? Vicente signed for us not fully fit with a record of injuries. Hopefully he'll come good. If he does, it will have been well worth the gamble. If not, then you could argue it was still a gamble worth taking.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why does Vicente get so much stick, when Buckley & Hoskins have been crocked just as much? Vicente signed for us not fully fit with a record of injuries. Hopefully he'll come good. If he does, it will have been well worth the gamble. If not, then you could argue it was still a gamble worth taking.

Spot on.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

None of them should be getting ANY stick. It's not like they are deliberately getting injured FFS. If they are playing shit I'd understand the abuse but having a pop at someone for being injured is the sign of a football DUNCE.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You can say what you like,as its your opinion.

personally, I don't think you can have an opinion on something you know NOTHING about.

I'd call it spreading rumours or GOSSIP mongering.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

And that should be end of thread frankly - why the hell is everyone up in arms over this every single bloody week... we knew the risks, we knew he wouldnt play the whole season, and that he would have a few games here or there. We need to move on from hoping he will play each week, and then when he does finally get some game time it will be a bonus.

A lot of people are making a lot of ridiculous assumptions "He isn't up for it", "He is on more wages than anyone else", "His injuries are in his head" etc. but the fact is we are speculating as to what is going on. I am now of the opinion (and thats all it is, an opinion) that we will see him play a bit part role over the next 5 months or so, a few sub cameos here or there but will win us points. To be honest, I'll be more than happy with that.

We just need to adjust our expectations... if you expected him to be the midfield creator for the whole season, then you are devastated, if you expected him to contribute very little game time, but that game time would produce very good results then you might just be happy come the end of the season.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think you're missing a quite important third option from your outcomes.

He comes good and it's worth the gamble.
He doesn't come good and it was still a gamble worth taking (more shaky).
or c) It was a huge and avoidable mistake with his previous that has badly backfired, everyone including Gus has been too embarrassed to come clean about it, it was a total waste of time and money and made the club look stupid.

We don't need cameos, we need regular quality players in our midfield.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Probably all season.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Why are you so determined to get rid of what could be a pivotal player to us in the second half of the season? I don't understand the obsession. Who's he harming by just sitting there at the moment?

Absolutely. He's doing no harm sitting there, any more than Hoskins, Buckley... and when he played, he was absolute class. Even 5 or 6 games more of that would make a huge difference :guitar: :albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
None of them should be getting ANY stick. It's not like they are deliberately getting injured FFS. If they are playing shit I'd understand the abuse but having a pop at someone for being injured is the sign of a football DUNCE.

Very true. There seems to be some special resentment for Vicente though. They've all given everything when they have played from what I've seen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He doesn't come good and it was still a gamble worth taking.

Due to his previous performance, these are the two options.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
c) It was a huge and avoidable mistake with his previous that has badly backfired, everyone including Gus has been too embarrassed to come clean about it, it was a total waste of time and money and made the club look stupid.

This sentence is so comical I just have to break it down:

1) Huge and avoidable mistake - How can signing someone on a free be a huge mistake, you DON'T know how much he is being paid and any figure is speculation therefore on what basis can it be deemed a "Huge mistake" - as many other people have said, what harm is there in him sitting with the bench every game at the moment? Also - he might be contributing in training to help other players with technique, again you don't know, and again that is speculation. Actually was signing Dicker on a 2 yr deal in the summer a mistake? 2 YEARS - oh and he won't play for most of 1 of those years because of a nasty injury, and he is a midfield playmaker who we desperately need too?

2) The signing has backfired - How little game time and contribution would he need to have for it to have backfired?

3) Everyone including Gus is embarassed - I certainly am not, I am still proud to say that we managed to sign Vicente - do you really think the club are embarassed about him being injured? Ridiculous statement. Frustrated like the rest of us, yes - not embarassed.

4) Total waste of time and money - Again you do NOT know what he is being paid - so this statement has no basis whatsoever.

5) Made the club look stupid - Trust me, it really isn't the club that looks stupid right now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think you're missing a quite important third option from your outcomes.

He doesn't come good and it was still a gamble worth taking (more shaky).
or c) It was a huge and avoidable mistake with his previous that has badly backfired, everyone including Gus has been too embarrassed to come clean about it, it was a total waste of time and money and made the club look stupid.

We don't need cameos, we need regular quality players in our midfield.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Probably all season.

Disagree. Anyone who thought Vicente was going to be anything other than a cameo player doesn't understand what a fantastic player he was before his injuries. Because if it were likely that he was going to be able to play even 30 games a season, he wouldn't have come anywhere near us, he'd be playing for Man Utd or someone.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Obsession , you are way off the mark there. No obsession at all just an opinion on an internet messageboard.

I just think it seems to overshadow to much , everytime its announced injured its almost like a negative to a build up to a game. Hasn't worked so off the pay roll

Thats all. Dont worry , not eating me up inside , would love him to come good of course

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Disagree. Anyone who thought Vicente was going to be anything other than a cameo player doesn't understand what a fantastic player he was before his injuries. Because if it were likely that he was going to be able to play even 30 games a season, he wouldn't have come anywhere near us, he'd be playing for Man Utd or someone.
Yes, yes and yes. Is there any possible chance this could be the end of it for now, people? ??? thought not... :drink: :albion2:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hasn't worked so off the pay roll

For the last time - WE KNEW WHEN WE SIGNED HIM THIS WAS GOING TO BE THE CASE A FAIR BIT OF THE TIME.

'Sake. Sorry for shouting, everyone.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Indeed Hoskins is an even worse case of "big expectation - not many games" syndrone that seem to have crept in to this squad.

His record shows he barely gets 20 games a season - that must tell you something. Is he the new Darren Anderton?

If you mean Hoskins thats wrong. He's got a decent record of games played per season before this one.

06/07 36 games for Rotherham and Watford
07/08 19 games for Millwall/Forest (he was on loan there from Watford as a 21 year old)
08/09 39 games for Watford
09/10 19 games for Watford
10/11 47 games for Bristol Rovers

So thats 160 games over 5 seasons or 32 games a season. Certainly a lot more than 20.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Dont know why Poyet just doesnt tell the fans the truth about these so called injuries. Whats there to hide?

Everything I read from the club about injuries,I take with a huge pinch of salt.
Why Gus/Albion seem to have set up a Ministry of Misinformation about the likes of Buckley,Hoskins and Vicente, I really don't know.It just pisses everybody off.Just tell us the facts.........we are big enough and ugly enough to take it!
Grumble over!For now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here