Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente out of squad for Burnley

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Worth keeping til the end of the season just for the potential he has. Stupid to get rid, not like he's keeping anyone out of the team or anything.

If Tony thinks he's worth the gamble, I'm with him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Does he turn up on a matchday? Like, you know, sit with the other squad players?
To me that would be an indicator of his commitment.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Worth keeping til the end of the season just for the potential he has. Stupid to get rid, not like he's keeping anyone out of the team or anything.

If Tony thinks he's worth the gamble, I'm with him.

I very much doubt Tony has any input in team affairs.

Pointless paying up the rest of his contract when it's due to expire in 6 months time. Thank god it was only a year deal.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
If we get Liverpool in the FA cup 4th round you watch him become fit again for this game :D

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I very much doubt Tony has any input in team affairs.

Pointless paying up the rest of his contract when it's due to expire in 6 months time. Thank god it was only a year deal.

I was referring to the money side of affairs. I don't reckon Gus just went out and got Vicente without discussing the money side of things with Tony. They seem to have a very close relationship on that sort of thing.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Still early days on a gamble that, if it comes off, could prove to be decisive against some of the better teams in this division. Yeah it's frustrating (every week), but he's still well worth the punt. In my opinion...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another Kitson signed then

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
He's only 30, I wouldn't say he is coming to the end of his career, unless he really cant get fit again. The homesickness thing is complete speculation, it's just been made up. I am reserving judgment until the end of the season. So far we've got 4 games and 1 goal out of him. If he comes good in the New Year and makes another 15 appearances and 5 goals, then he was a worthwhile siging, as long as he isn't on silly money, which I cant imagine he is. If we can get him fit enough to play 2 out of every 4 games then he can make a major impact. Like Ledley King does for Spurs.
exactly :cheers:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I think the club should make an official statement. It's one thing holding off from news a day or two before a game to have the opposition speculating but these "long term" things are widely published by clubs as there's little point in not doing so. I can't deny that the mystery and secrecy seems bloody strange.
strange, true. But they do it with every bloody injured player :shrug: :albion2:

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
If it IS in his head then I sympathise. The thing about people who have injuries or illnesses in their head is that it is TOTALLY real to them and also very upsetting to be told it's 'all in your head' because they experience no real control over it. This is speaking as someone who has endured bouts of hypochondria to varying degrees. I think it starts as a kernel or flash of negative thought, more or less undetectable, which then manifests physically through some self-abnegating interplay within the psyche of the individual. The conscious mind then only understands to be able to deal with

a) the real physical pain the individual experiences
b) the increasing fear of increasing or enduring illness/injury

this creates a negative cycle in the individuals mind also. i wouldn't be surprised if whilst vicente is playing a little voice in his head says to him now and then - 'i bet playing this game'll cost me' and hey presto... it does.

once it gets started it's very hard to stop ime... personally i was made doubly worse by being CERTAIN that i wasn't the kind of person to be so STUPID as to end up with bouts of mind-led (covertly remember) or imagined illness or anxiety. the doctor couldn't tell me SHIT for months... until i slowly calmed down / perked up.

often it is outside factors that trouble the person and their anxiety manifests in these other ways

i'd say with vicente it is possible he has got the idea in his head that football could leave him physically damaged permanently if he overdoes it after an original injury or two, and unfortunately he has a hypochondriacs response. maybe it won't clear up until he stops playing, that might be the trigger factor in his head... which is of course rather a pain in the shitbox for a professional footballer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here