Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente not training with the rest of the squad.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't get the mentality really... A player being injured if anything there should be sympathy for him, instead Vicente is injured and everyone detests him and think the club are mental for signing him. Tommy Elphick... Is he a waste of wages? Buckley?

The Vicente deal is a win win situation whether he plays much or not. If he plays a handful of games he brings that national team class and can turn a game with a moment of genius. If he doesn't play he brings not only experience and knowledge of the game to the current first team and youth, but the signal the club sent out in being able to sign him in the first place is staggering, it shows we mean business and it shows how ambitious we are.

Yes it's frustrating etc etc - everyone wants to see him play. But people saying he should go back to Spain must have very little knowledge of football to say such a thing.
Great post, but I wouldn't say it's just not understanding football, it's just a lot of people seem to have this kind of goldfish mentality where what happened in the last five minutes defines everything that will ever happen.

I do wonder what the goldfish were expecting, or what they think we would gain by "getting rid"? We'd still have to pay his contract and there'd be no chance of Vicente playing for us again.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Personally, I have a huge amount of respect for a player who picks football over wages, and make no mistake he could have gone else where and been on A LOT more.

A very good point. I still think if he gets & stays fit, Vincente can be a massive influence on the outcome of the season.

Think of all the 'class' players who were at the fag end of their careers who played for the Albion in the past? Frank Worthington? Frank Stapleton? Russel Osman? Joe Corrigan? To name but a few. They all varied in degree's of being useful or middling to completely past it.

Vincente in terms of potential is different Gravy. If....its a big "if", he can get fit, we will reap the benefit. Of course, it could go the other way & he'll wander off into the sunset for another payday. Time will tell.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
what do you base that statement on, though ?

The fact that anyone with half a brain who has seen him play for us so far can see what a ridiculously huge improvement he could make to our team.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
"Our money"? I rather think it is Tony Blooms money and he can manage it how he sees fit. If he is unhappy with the Vicente situation, or who Gus signs, then he will do something about. Maybe he is more mature and reasonable than some of the mongs on this forum as he obviously knew what he was signing and Vicentes history.

And dont come back with we buy tickets so its our money. We are so indebted to TB right now that its going to be well over a decade before we can even start to think on those terms

Well said !

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Why is Buckley not named in the list of players available for the game at Reading? I sense a conspiracy of silence.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Without us season ticket holders and fans then Mr bloom wouldn't be spending a penny.

And without Tony Bloom or people like Dick Knight, Fatboy Slim, etc.. before him, then there wouldn't be any club for people to buy a ST for.

Since when has buying a set of tickets for an entertainment product made anyone either an expert on how things are run, how contracts are written, how things should run, etc....
Do you buy tickets for the Cinema and then spend your time finding fault with the establishment saying that they should do this or that thing differently? Do you complain about the film makers or the distribution company, or the popcorn suppliers etc? Or do you just go and watch the film? - of which some can be great and some a bit disappointing (like with a football game as you never know whats going to happen during those 90 minutes)

Also, buying a Season Ticket does not make you a shareholder or boardmember in that club. If that was the aim os someone when buying a ST, then they should invest in the club and buy shares and join the board with the other directors but whatever you do, don't give it the " I have a ST so I pay for this or should be listened to about that because without me the club wouldn't be here bullshit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A very good point. I still think if he gets & stays fit, Vincente can be a massive influence on the outcome of the season.

Think of all the 'class' players who were at the fag end of their careers who played for the Albion in the past? Frank Worthington? Frank Stapleton? Russel Osman? Joe Corrigan? To name but a few. They all varied in degree's of being useful or middling to completely past it.

Frank Worthington scored one of my all time favourite Albion goals in the mid eighties against Wimbledon at the Goldstone. I was at my first game unsupervised by adults in the East Stand and he took the ball and almost lazily smashed it in off the underside of the bar from about 30 yards out for the winner. Also the man SWEATED BOOZE. Legend.......

.....and still not as good as Vicente

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
And without Tony Bloom or people like Dick Knight, Fatboy Slim, etc.. before him, then there wouldn't be any club for people to buy a ST for.

Since when has buying a set of tickets for an entertainment product made anyone either an expert on how things are run, how contracts are written, how things should run, etc....
Do you buy tickets for the Cinema and then spend your time finding fault with the establishment saying that they should do this or that thing differently? Do you complain about the film makers or the distribution company, or the popcorn suppliers etc? Or do you just go and watch the film? - of which some can be great and some a bit disappointing (like with a football game as you never know whats going to happen during those 90 minutes)

Also, buying a Season Ticket does not make you a shareholder or boardmember in that club. If that was the aim os someone when buying a ST, then they should invest in the club and buy shares and join the board with the other directors but whatever you do, don't give it the " I have a ST so I pay for this or should be listened to about that because without me the club wouldn't be here bullshit.
seconded :thumbsup: :rock: :albion2:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Frank Worthington scored one of my all time favourite Albion goals in the mid eighties against Wimbledon at the Goldstone. I was at my first game unsupervised by adults in the East Stand and he took the ball and almost lazily smashed it in off the underside of the bar from about 30 yards out for the winner. Also the man SWEATED BOOZE. Legend.......

.....and still not as good as Vicente
spot on :thumbsup: :rave: :albion2:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
USELESS STAT ALERT:

Player Played Points per game
Vicente - 5 - 1
Buckley - 11 - 1.6
Hoskins - 6 - 1.3

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Only read a few posts on this thread but here we go....

Jesus Christ, Vicente is one of the best players to ever step on a football pitch and people are annoyed that he is doing the best thing for himself in order to get back to full fitness? Why don't you wait till the end of the season and see how many games he has played then. Even so, if he never plays again (which is VERY unlikely) we should be grateful that he has played 5 times in a Brighton shirt. Yet is still the best ever to pull on the stripes.

:)

One of the best players to ever play football? Yeah, Vicente's name is often mentioned alongside Maradona, Pele, Messi, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Ronaldo and Zidane :facepalm:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

The supporters saved the club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
7 pages and I still don't know what the ongoing injury problems with Vicente are. Niggly injuries? Like what for instance? Or is that not the sort of info us fans should be given.

Wasn't he so fit he wore himself out running around and couldn't play on the Saturday a couple of weeks ago:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here