Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente not training with the rest of the squad.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I'm guessing everyone who is saying "get rid, he is a sicknote" wasn't at the Ipswich game? He was pure class. Even if he only plays another 10 games it will push us in the right direction without doubt, he is a class above in this league and wouldn't look out of place in a top 10 prem side. Personally I think we are being very sensible in not playing him and doing all that we can to get him 100% fit and ready to go. We will reap the rewards after Christmas. All this thread is, is a NSC in jumping to conclusions shocker.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
For the wages we are paying him i am MORE than happy to wait for a former £25M rated spanish international superstar and Champions League finalist to get fully fit.

But that's just me.....

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
A players worth is not only on the pitch it is also in the squad, what is Vincente passing on to others is he helping the development of some of our youngsters? I don't know the answer to this but there is more to a team than 90 minutes on a pitch, we have had players in the squad (Harty for one) who have been kept there for their all round contribution to the squad.

Also when we signed him we knew he was crocked and that his appearances would be tempered by injury and would only appear if injury allowed.

In Gus we trust

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why is Poyet so big on 'total honesty' about Suarez, when it gets him into so much trouble and is a side-issue - but finds it much easier to be economical with the truth about Vicente, which we are all far more bothered about, and it concerns his actual job that he is getting paid to do...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm guessing everyone who is saying "get rid, he is a sicknote" wasn't at the Ipswich game? He was pure class. Even if he only plays another 10 games it will push us in the right direction without doubt, he is a class above in this league and wouldn't look out of place in a top 10 prem side. Personally I think we are being very sensible in not playing him and doing all that we can to get him 100% fit and ready to go. We will reap the rewards after Christmas. All this thread is, is a NSC in jumping to conclusions shocker.

For the wages we are paying him i am MORE than happy to wait for a former £25M rated spanish international superstar and Champions League finalist to get fully fit.

But that's just me.....

A players worth is not only on the pitch it is also in the squad, what is Vincente passing on to others is he helping the development of some of our youngsters? I don't know the answer to this but there is more to a team than 90 minutes on a pitch, we have had players in the squad (Harty for one) who have been kept there for their all round contribution to the squad.

Also when we signed him we knew he was crocked and that his appearances would be tempered by injury and would only appear if injury allowed.

In Gus we trust

These.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why is Poyet so big on 'total honesty' about Suarez, when it gets him into so much trouble and is a side-issue - but finds it much easier to be economical with the truth about Vicente, which we are all far more bothered about, and it concerns his actual job that he is getting paid to do...

You make a good point

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

This. I was at ipswich. Yes it was a wonder goal and i have never doubted his quality but i would like him to PLAY SOME f***ing GAMES. Im sorry I just dont buy the "injuries" when we signed him it was said he just needs to get match fit. So thats playing games whether first team, reserves or even youths.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
=Im sorry I just dont buy the "injuries"

So what exactly do you think he is doing then? Pretending to be injured and just picking up the (fairly meagre in comparison to what he is used to) salary of a Championship footballer? Why the hell would he have come to Brighton to do this? He would have gone to Dubai or the MLS or somewhere, where he would have got quadruple the salary and been able to sit on a beach all day in the sunshine. He came here because he wants to play, there is no way on earth he would have chosen to come to an English 2nd tier side otherwise.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So what exactly do you think he is doing then? Pretending to be injured and just picking up the (fairly meagre in comparison to what he is used to) salary of a Championship footballer? Why the hell would he have come to Brighton to do this? He would have gone to Dubai or the MLS or somewhere, where he would have got quadruple the salary and been able to sit on a beach all day in the sunshine. He came here because he wants to play, there is no way on earth he would have chosen to come to an English 2nd tier side otherwise.

It's up there with the 9/11 hoax as one of the worst thought out conspiracy theories out there.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Surely the reason that people are getting narky about Vicente is the HUGE lack of clarity? Every week we get excited at the thought and prospect of him playing and then he is not in the line up. Even more annoying is that I have STILL yet to hear a clear explanation of what is actually wrong?

I would rather the club say that Vicente is out for the foreseeable because......... At least we all know where we stand then without getting our hopes up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely the reason that people are getting narky about Vicente is the HUGE lack of clarity? Every week we get excited at the thought and prospect of him playing and then he is not in the line up. Even more annoying is that I have STILL yet to hear a clear explanation of what is actually wrong?

I would rather the club say that Vicente is out for the foreseeable because......... At least we all know where we stand then without getting our hopes up.

The general consensus is that

a) he keeps picking up small aches and pains
b) he came not fully fit so has effectively had to do pre-season training during the season
c) he wants to be playing games (im sure he's loving sitting around in a country he barely speak the language of, on fairly meagre wages by his standards, unable to do the one thing he can do brilliantly)
d) we're taking extra time with him to get him PROPERLY fit so he can play a proper run of games, not play a game, miss two, play a game, miss two

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think people need to calm down about Vicente. The only reason we stood a chance of signing him is because he is injury prone. We knew this when we signed him so why get worked up about it now? If he didn't have the history of injuries he has then he would be at Real, Barca or Valencia still.

As long as we are not bankrupting ourselves paying him then I dont care if he only plays 15 games a season as in those 15 games you will see more class than in the rest of the matches in our season put together. Ability wise he is by far the best player in the division. The experience he will be passing on to a relatively inexperienced squad will also be valauble.

I never expected him to play a lot but I am going to make the most of seeing him play when he does and not get wound up when he isn't playing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
7 pages and I still don't know what the ongoing injury problems with Vicente are. Niggly injuries? Like what for instance? Or is that not the sort of info us fans should be given.

Wasn't he so fit he wore himself out running around and couldn't play on the Saturday a couple of weeks ago:rolleyes:

But what you are failing to take into account are medical confidentiality laws. We are not being told because, firstly, we do not have the right to know and secondly, one or more of the parties involved may not want to divulge the information.

We are talking about a person after all, something a few people seem to forget when they talk about professional footballers and start to slag them off, etc.. Why do some football fans think that they have the God given right to know all the details when it comes to a football club?

How would you like it if your employer was to go public about every little injury and illness you have while working for them? Especially if your job was a physical job wher injury was more likely?

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
abso bloody lutely :thumbsup: :albion2:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The general consensus is that

a) he keeps picking up small aches and pains
b) he came not fully fit so has effectively had to do pre-season training during the season
c) he wants to be playing games (im sure he's loving sitting around in a country he barely speak the language of, on fairly meagre wages by his standards, unable to do the one thing he can do brilliantly)
d) we're taking extra time with him to get him PROPERLY fit so he can play a proper run of games, not play a game, miss two, play a game, miss two
and this :thumbsup: :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But what you are failing to take into account are medical confidentiality laws. We are not being told because, firstly, we do not have the right to know and secondly, one or more of the parties involved may not want to divulge the information.

We are talking about a person after all, something a few people seem to forget when they talk about professional footballers and start to slag them off, etc.. Why do some football fans think that they have the God given right to know all the details when it comes to a football club?

How would you like it if your employer was to go public about every little injury and illness you have while working for them? Especially if your job was a physical job wher injury was more likely?

I have never known such secrecy around a player's injuries. It's all shrouded in mystery, why would that be??

I haven't suggested we get shot or that he is sitting with his feet up taking the piss, I just find it very strange that NO information about the nature of these injuries is revealed and yet we are given snippets that he may be fit in the near future, these snippets go back nearly two months now ???

If he's long term f***ed, just tell us. As Tooting intimated, Gus seems happy to jump in with both feet and give an opinion on just about anything OTHER than Vicente's injuries. Weird.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Then I stand corrected - soz. Were they starts?

10 starts. Only 5 league starts mind, 3 Spanish Cup and 2 Champs League. That said they did have Juan Mata in that side playing the same position which limited him a bit I imagine!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If he spoke English then we might know what's wrong with him as Naylor or Radio Sussex etc could ask him, or he could tweet about it. Instead all we get is second hand snippets via Poyet who's not exactly John Wayne when it comes to plain speaking. :moo:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The Vicente scenario is similar to when we signed Frank Worthington. Ok his pedigree wasn't quite in Vicente's class but was certainly a surprise signing and many wondered if he was a has been just coming to Brighton for an easy life especially as his knees were knackered and couldn't sprint more than 10 yards without stopping for a fag....and thats if he'd sobered up after a night out clubbing. However Frank still had the vision and most of the skill that could make mugs of opposing defenders - the Goldstone crowd knew once or twice a game he would show just why he was such a classy player and you could sense the anticipation when he got the ball. If Frank had his full fitness he would have still been playing in the First Div. - but at least he did a reasonable job for us.

I really hope we can get a run of games out of Vicente because he is different class - and could make all the difference if we ever get to put out our best team. His vision would be great for CMS. Plus I hope that our youngsters are using the rare chance to learn from having Vicente around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here