Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tunnicliffe leaving on loan

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Happy with our settled Centre Back pairing (first game as a pairing was Wallsall - I'll take this over what we saw before Xmas):

Conceded:

Hudd 0 (draw)
Orient 1 (draw)
Millwall 1 (aberation - loss)
Stockport 1 (draw)
Wallsall 1 (won)

It also co-incides with Kuipers coming back in goal.

Whether people rate him or not ( I do), we concede much fewer goals when we have Kuipers in goal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As long as this is not with a view to a permanent move, as he looks to me like he could develop into a damn good player. We've got a settled back four now so (injury permitting) I'd ensdorse Gus sticking with it for the rest of the season, and if Tunnicliffe can pick up some vital experience at MK during that time then all well and good.

I want him back here competing for a place next season though.

Agree 100%. I think we seem to have a very good squad all playing well at different times - something is clicking as well as it should.

Poyet rates El-abd too so we're OK for cover

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
from mk dons site

MK Dons manager Paul Ince has given his defensive options a much-needed boost with the signing of Brighton's James Tunnicliffe.

The 21-year-old, six-foot-four-inch centre-half joins the Dons on a one-month emergency loan and goes straight into the squad for Saturday's trip to Carlisle United.

Tunnicliffe's arrival comes with the Dons nursing a number of injury problems at the back, with Sean O'Hanlon, David McCracken, Mathias Doumbe and Darren Powell all currently sidelined.

Dons assistant manager Karl Robinson said: "James is a player we've admired for a long time and one we've been considering trying to bring in since the Gaffer and I were here two years ago. We're delighted we've been able to sign him.

"The injuries we've suffered in defence this season have been unbelievable so it was essential to bring in a centre-half, but to bring one in of James' quality is a great result.

"He's a big, strong lad but also a very good footballer, so I'm sure he'll be able to bring something to the squad."

Tunnicliffe came through the ranks at Stockport County and made his professional debut against Notts County in 2005, aged just 16.

Showing enormous promise as a youngster, the Manchester-born defender was part of the Hatters squad, alongside Dons midfielder Stephen Gleeson, that secured promotion to League 1 through the play-offs in 2008 and was rewarded with a two-year contract by then-County boss Jim Gannon.

The Edgeley Park club's financial predicament led to Tunnicliffe joining League 1 Brighton a year later for an undisclosed fee. He went on to make 20 appearances for the Seagulls, including a 1-0 defeat to the Dons at the Withdean Stadium in October.

James' loan will begin with Saturday's trip to Brunton Park and will run up to Wednesday 10th March, before which the Dons host Southend, Millwall, Leyton Orient and Swindon as well as travelling to Yeovil at the end of February.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"Tunnicliffe's arrival comes with the Dons nursing a number of injury problems at the back, with Sean O'Hanlon, David McCracken, Mathias Doumbe and Darren Powell all currently sidelined.

Dons assistant manager Karl Robinson said: "James is a player we've admired for a long time and one we've been considering trying to bring in since the Gaffer and I were here two years ago. We're delighted we've been able to sign him.

"The injuries we've suffered in defence this season have been unbelievable so it was essential to bring in a centre-half, but to bring one in of James' quality is a great result.

"He's a big, strong lad but also a very good footballer, so I'm sure he'll be able to bring something to the squad."

Seemss pretty doubtful he will ever come back...

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
"Tunnicliffe's arrival comes with the Dons nursing a number of injury problems at the back, with Sean O'Hanlon, David McCracken, Mathias Doumbe and Darren Powell all currently sidelined.

There is no way from those quotes you can assume anything of the sort. And anyway IF he goes I am sure Gus will bring a quality centre half to replace him. But as I say how you can decide he aint coming back from that is beyond me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Why? They mention how long the injury list is so to me that suggests it is a temporary move. If they were after him permanently they could have made a move while the transfer window was open. I may be proved wrong, but I would say that Tunnicliffe remains in Poyet's plans and will develop into a very good player for us. Either way he still has two years left on his contract so will not be sold on the cheap.

But if you read what Poyet says on our website:

He said, "The good form of Adam Virgo and Tommy Elphick has meant he hasn't played. He was keen to go out on loan to play and get some games. Now we have Adam El-Abd back to fitness, I am happy for him to go on loan and play some first-team football at a good club.

"He is joining a good club and we will make sure we keep an eye on his progress and performances while he is there."

You could assume he is just going there to get some games under his belt.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I don't care about his passing, he is a DEFENDER and I can assure you at this moment Elphick and Virgo are miles, and miles ahead of him defensively.

Making less mistakes you say? lets go back through the games he played and see how many goals his positional sense cost us eh?

I agree Elphick and Virgo have played well together, but that is because they always get a chance after costing us games. Tunnicliffe never got that chance as he was always dropped.

Tell me all the mistakes where he has cost us goals, Id be interested to know. They will not have been worse than anything that Virgo, Elphick or the golden boy El Abd would have managed

I would have agreed with you before our recent run, but we have looked a lot more solid with Virgo and Elphick at the back. Despite their lack of passing ability we have still managed to play some good football during those games.

With the reserves not playing and Tunnicliffe out of the team, loaning him out is probably the best solution. I think he will be a great player for us but needs to play first team football at the moment. We have enough defenders to cover him with the normal back four plus Hoyte, McNulty, El Abd and the forgotten Whing.

I agree with you, as I just said, Tunnicliffe was never given a chance to settle down which is exactly what Virgo and Elphick were given, despite them costing us points and playing worse than Tunnicliffe

I wondered how long it would be before you got that in!!!

got it in yesterday and acknowledged you as the creator!! Roll on clock watching with Nick Berry!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Please let me put a £5,000 bet on this with you. This sort of shit is an uttter embarrassment. There is a chance he could leave on loan, but to say it's going to be this week, when there's no-one in for him at the moment (unless I'm missing something), is ridiculous. Journalism is about facts, not conjecture.

Hmm...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Might just be pissed off with the Albion, especially if he has ever strayed onto this site. He is after all one of the 25 or so Albion players this season who this season have been roundly lambasted as being utter shit by members of this very board. Makes you wonder if there are any Albion fans left on here, why are so many just desparate to see us fail?
You can be a right melodramatic handbag at times. :facepalm:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree with you, as I just said, Tunnicliffe was never given a chance to settle down which is exactly what Virgo and Elphick were given, despite them costing us points and playing worse than Tunnicliffe

I agree that Tunnicliffe has been the one who has tended to be dropped when we have had defensive problems while whoever played alongside was left in. This has happened both under Slade and Poyet. I hope he comes back though because he clearly has ability and is a very talented centre half. It is also important to remember he is only 20 so will make mistakes, I just feel given what has happened that it is the right decision at the moment. We have to trust Poyet.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Who would have thought it eh?

Everyone seeing as you can't resist posting everything you hear immediately on here.

Not knocking you, just saying that it made no difference you telling us this last week, or us hearing it for ourselves this week.

Having said that, the rumours on here are what I like about NSC. So full credit for this one :thumbsup:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Everyone seeing as you can't resist posting everything you hear immediately on here.

Not knocking you, just saying that it made no difference you telling us this last week, or us hearing it for ourselves this week.

Having said that, the rumours on here are what I like about NSC. So full credit for this one :thumbsup:

Of course it makes no difference. But then didn't stop a lot of posters pointing how much "bollocks" I was apparantly talking...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I applaud for the prediction :clap:

The part about "We've been after him for two years" is the thing thats making me doubt his future here. May be reading too much into it, but shirley if he does there and he has a blinder, Ince won't just let hin go?

But it is not up to Ince though, is it? Ince could offer all the money he wants but if Poyet doesn't want to sell, then he won't. Presumably once they have a full team back, he won't get into their team either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here