Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers - Have we all given up hope of staying up?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I've noticed everyone has to gang up on bhadeb if you want to be popular on here, but thats a bit strong isn't it?

Registered in jan 09?

When you have been on here just a tad longer then you would relise which posters post constant drivel,shit stir or generally are a right pain in the ring.
I've listened to BHADEB the first time around with an open mind.The trouble is she bangs home the same crap on a daily basis.Does get a bit boring you know and this is coming from a pro Wilkins fan.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It wasn't so much that we had any great players, it was just that at times we did at least show a bit of passion. That alone made that team better than this one in my opinion. Even with that in mind though, I'd have Richie Barker, Rod Thomas, Jeff Minton, and Gary Hart (as they were then) in our team now.

At times this season we have played well though, and that is the frustrating thing. We are underperforming, whether that is due to the manager, lack of self motivation, loss of form, injuries or other factors is the issue we should surely be addressing.

Looking at the squad, I would have thought we should be mid table, instead of bottom six. With the exception of Murray, I can't think of a single player who is playing better this season than last. The dip in form of the likes of Cox and Elphick is particularly disappointing.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
15 years. The only side with less talent than this one was the Gillingham one, but I honestly think I saw more passion and pride in the two seasons there than I have in the last six months.

To the Gillingham sides add the Goldstone sides for the last two or three years there. We needed a draw at Hereford to avoid going out of the league completely. Fans United Day, Doncaster and Hereford were memorable days but they shouldn't mask the fact that, overall, we were awful.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At times this season we have played well though, and that is the frustrating thing. We are underperforming, whether that is due to the manager, lack of self motivation, loss of form, injuries or other factors is the issue we should surely be addressing.

The 'underperforming' thing is the the big danger. While there's a "we're too good to go down" mentality, then complacency creeps in, and things are allowed to drift. We may well be able to turn things around with the current squad, but it only takes a couple of freak injuries or an unexpected turn of form from, say, Crewe, and suddenly things start to spiral out of control. Best not leave it to chance and last day January sale bargains IMHO.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But I bet if you set up a match between the side that started the last game at the Goldstone v the current side, the Goldstone side would win.

In Murray, Forster, Elphick, FDM, Whing, Livermore, Virgo (when played at centre half) we have a half decent side, but midfield needs addressing urgently. McLeod has done nothing since August, Robinson and Cox are shadows of their former promise, and Thomson was a big let down, even Bomber, who had a good season last year, looks disinterested at times.

The Goldstone side had the highest wage bill in that division in 96/7!

The 'underperforming' thing is the the big danger. While there's a "we're too good to go down" mentality, then complacency creeps in, and things are allowed to drift. We may well be able to turn things around with the current squad, but it only takes a couple of freak injuries or an unexpected turn of form from, say, Crewe, and suddenly things start to spiral out of control. Best not leave it to chance and last day January sale bargains IMHO.

Unfortunately, I do not agree 'we're too good to go down' label.
We are where we are because we are a bottom 5 side & having played like so all season. I cannot remember one league game at home this season that we
have played well. Played well in patches for some, but not once to a reasonable level. The squad is thinner now than at the beginning, when I thought at the start of the seasn than despite Ian Hart's hype that we would be lucky to finish in the top 10.

Realistically, we may just about end up where we are now.

However, I do not see any investment in the club for next year.

The pressure will be greater next season to get out of this division, but which way?

On the other hand given that we are not expected to beat Leeds on Saturday (is it really only 2 wins at home), you never know............

I think Adams will be out of a job, if we don't beat Luton either

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The thing that worries me about Adams is hes trust in youth players or lack of it.
He was forced into using Sully and Cook i believe had a short run out.Thats about it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any other suggestions?

A young Gary Hart :thumbsup:

As to the original qustion on the thread, I've got to the point where I expect nobody of any consequence to sign and the fact that we haven't played for two weeks and have released/lost so many players and don't appear to be on the point of replacing any of them makes me think that the wheels may well be coming off again this season. I so want to be wrong but I can definitely see us being in the mix to go down if we don't sign some quality. Once again we're gonna have to build a team in January, is Micky up to it? I'm not sure he is any more.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here