Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Blooms vision for the club (aka Olive Branch II)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well said. Hughton will always be a legend. But I strongly doubt he’d have dropped Maty for Sanchez. To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if we were still playing Proper and Stevens in CM and Biss were still a bit part player.

And “the cult of Potter” is a bit of a silly phrase all round. Invented by certain folk here to discredit those who backed the manager and saw the qualities he was bringing to our club.

No doubt your oh-so-hilarious “Porter out” phrase wasn’t aimed at undermining those who held an opinion that didn’t align with your own?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m relatively new on here (2018) but please can someone explain to me why people are arguing about historic time stamped opinions now.

Is it basically who was right, at this exact point in time? What am I missing?

I’ve been relatively potter in but will happily admit I’ve had my doubts (at certain times) but thankfully I can change my opinion based on what’s served up and frankly isn’t this typically why football forums exists?

Seems to be an obsession that you have to be potter in or out and it’s almost tribal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m relatively new on here (2018) but please can someone explain to me why people are arguing about historic time stamped opinions now.

I’ve been relatively potter in but will happily admit I’ve had my doubts (at certain times) but thankfully I can change my opinion based on what’s served up and frankly isn’t this typically why football forums exists?

Seems to be an obsession that you have to be potter in or out and it’s almost tribal.

A handful of posters are obsessed with Potter, they drag up old posts of discontent to satisfy their self righteous ego, generally this strange behavioural pattern is at its worst after a win.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

So they can have the last word and most importantly 'win'.

Oblivious of the simple fact that as soon as the reverse result happens to the one that induced the current bout of self righteousness the whole sad process starts again.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
So they can have the last word and most importantly 'win'.

Oblivious of the simple fact that as soon as the reverse result happens to the one that induced the current bout of self righteousness the whole sad process starts again.

Positivity around a football club helps, negativity never has. Going around sowing the seeds of discontent isn’t just an opinion, it can be damaging and spread.

If the reverse happens, then honestly by comparison what is the problem with being behind the club and manager but ending up being wrong? I’d rather be on that side than calling for sackings which ends up being counter productive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the reverse happens, then honestly by comparison what is the problem with being behind the club and manager but ending up being wrong? I’d rather be on that side than calling for sackings which ends up being counter productive.

Because we get called all sorts of names, for years to come. :down: :lol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well said. Hughton will always be a legend. But I strongly doubt he’d have dropped Maty for Sanchez. To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if we were still playing Proper and Stevens in CM and Biss were still a bit part player.

And “the cult of Potter” is a bit of a silly phrase all round. Invented by certain folk here to discredit those who backed the manager and saw the qualities he was bringing to our club.

Remembering that Hughton actually gave Ben White his competitive debut and Sanchez his first game in a friendly, as well as signing Bissouma.

I have to say the whole comparison thing grates a bit, and serves little actual relevance going forward (which is what we should be focusing on).

I haven't read what I consider to be (yet) another thread around the merits of Potter, which is dressed up as an 'olive branch' and then quickly develops into GP vs CH...... or back the manager or else...... CH is a legend, but........

There will always be supporters who believe we could do better than whoever the current manager is, that's fine that is their opinion. I loved CH, and was gutted when he was sacked...... GP has changed the whole playing ethos and arguably has also benefited from better signings. I really do believe we have progressed so everything is good. Having not been for over a year, watching the team 'live' the progress was marked, and everyone looked comfortable on the ball.

But at the end of the day regardless of all of the discussion we are all Brighton supporters and long after GP has gone on to manage England (what other upward step is there from us ;-)?) we will all be debating the next incumbent and their relative merits.......

I find it all quite tedious......

Of course, I didn't have to open the thread, so it is my own fault......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not tribal, just ridiculous.

Agree 100%

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Positivity around a football club helps, negativity never has. Going around sowing the seeds of discontent isn’t just an opinion, it can be damaging and spread.

Hmmm, bit of a fictitious narrative being painted here. What you’ve mentioned is true, negativity around a football club can be a bad thing, but let’s be be real, what we’re talking about here was that some fans were sharing their thoughts during a tough run of games where we weren’t scoring, couldn’t buy a home win and were sliding rather quickly towards the relegation zone, it’s not like there were protests or marches or anything serious, just pissed off people on an Albion forum. Regardless of where we’re supposed to be as a club, our budget and our squad, if people view potential relegation as a disastrous then they’re more than entitled to share their opinion, sadly, some have taken it on as their personal crusade to discredit and alienate those contributors.
Football fans are bound to their club by an invisible bond, and fans deal with different scenarios with different emotions, this shouldn’t be breaking news to anybody?
Folk are allowed to be positive about their team, but expecting everyone to accept their views as fact whilst being so disparaging about people who hold a different view, it will all just end in worthless and exhausting mud slinging, as you can see.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If we can make a decent start next season we won't be feeling so anxious about the fear of relegation.
Hopefully that would then reduce many of the doubts and criticisms that were evident on NSC when we were struggling mid-season.

Thankfully, we've once again finished well and Tony Bloom's vision is still moving in the right direction with some of the doubts put to bed for the moment.

It would be nice to extinguish a lot of the confrontational posts from both sides of the Potter spectrum with a few more wins next season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

To be honest, the divide isn’t the way it’s portrayed, and manufactured to a degree. The “Potter in” side has actually been most of the NSC, the majority. Pretty much through all the bad runs.

But there has been a small consistent, louder group who have hounded the manager and called for his head after every less than positive result. Or even poor Dan Ashworths in some cases. Despite all the improvements in our club being there for all to see.

They take offence to having their posts bounced. I can only assume because they don’t want to admit they were wrong.

By doing this, you hope that the small minority on this board will stop calling for the heads of the management because of a poor win ratio in the world’s biggest league, a league we have played in for just 6.6% of our existence, a league where a draw is very good but a win is friggin amazing for us.

It would be nice if lessons could be learned and we can stop the hysteria after we draw at home to a team below us, because that is likely for a team at our level.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Hmmm, bit of a fictitious narrative being painted here. What you’ve mentioned is true, negativity around a football club can be a bad thing, but let’s be be real, what we’re talking about here was that some fans were sharing their thoughts during a tough run of games where we weren’t scoring, couldn’t buy a home win and were sliding rather quickly towards the relegation zone, it’s not like there were protests or marches or anything serious, just pissed off people on an Albion forum. Regardless of where we’re supposed to be as a club, our budget and our squad, if people view potential relegation as a disastrous then they’re more than entitled to share their opinion, sadly, some have taken it on as their personal crusade to discredit and alienate those contributors.
Football fans are bound to their club by an invisible bond, and fans deal with different scenarios with different emotions, this shouldn’t be breaking news to anybody?
Folk are allowed to be positive about their team, but expecting everyone to accept their views as fact whilst being so disparaging about people who hold a different view, it will all just end in worthless and exhausting mud slinging, as you can see.

I’ve not suggested anyone hide from their opinion, quite the opposite, I’ve basically said don’t get too upset if it gets bounced. If it’s bounced because you were certain we’d be relegated - have a bit of joy in being wrong I say, not vilify the person bouncing you because at the end of the day, we should all be happy that things turned out okay right? Not a brilliant succes, but not a damning failure either.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I’ve not suggested anyone hide from their opinion, quite the opposite, I’ve basically said don’t get too upset if it gets bounced. If it’s bounced because you were certain we’d be relegated - have a bit of joy in being wrong I say, not vilify the person bouncing you because at the end of the day, we should all be happy that things turned out okay right? Not a brilliant succes, but not a damning failure either.

The bouncing is because the person wants to vilify the person who wrote it.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The bouncing is because the person wants to vilify the person who wrote it.

Im not sure if that is the case, think it’s more seeking an acknowledgment that they might have got things wrong? If it was me, I’d be tempted to bounce my own posts with my hands up, which I will do if Maupay gets 15 goals next season. :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m not having a pop but do you want fans to discuss their club as though we are club employees ? We are football supporters, with all that entails. I’m guessing you aren’t old enough to know what I mean but ‘Barry, Barry, Barry, out, out, out !’

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

All of those 'Potter In/Out' polls with no 'Fence' option that were started about 30 seconds after every final whistle during that rotten string of results over the winter weren't exactly helpful. Just encouraged division

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Im not sure if that is the case, think it’s more seeking an acknowledgment that they might have got things wrong? If it was me, I’d be tempted to bounce my own posts with my hands up, which I will do if Maupay gets 15 goals next season. :thumbsup:

Why is Vagabond (or anyone else) entitled to ‘an acknowledgment that they might have got things wrong.’ It is pretty bloody childish at best.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

That’s precisely the reason it’s been bounced. The poster in question has got form for behaving like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here