Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Blooms vision for the club (aka Olive Branch II)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just like some of us dont get why the league table is bigger than the club (for fans of said club), as evident in the "no progress" thread - the club producing exciting talents, playing decent and brave football, the squad value rising with each month... all thanks to the excellent work laid down by TB, DA, GP, staff, physios, x number of youth coaches; the club. None of this matters to you however - its only the league table that counts. To you, winning/league position is bigger than the club - and just like the "cult of Potter", this is pretty difficult to understand.

I think you are misquoting. I can’t see where he said that in his post.

Also, point of order here. Much of the groundwork was laid down before GP arrived.

As to the cult of Potter, much of it is down to the fact that he is a British manager, and there aren’t many of those about in the top flights. Appreciate you are (may be) Swedish so it won’t mean as much, but for others he’ll be quickly held up as a new messiah Eg MOTD pundits always quick to point it out “exciting new manager” and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If people want to do that, they can do that. No-one needs permission from you. Equally, if people dare to get upset and want him out because Palace turn up and beat us, meaning they've now won as many league games at the Amex as we have in the same calendar year, then that's OK too. If you don't like that, then you need to deal with it and not act like a f**king toddler who thinks he knows it all.

Calm down. It’s only my opinion.

If you don't like that, then you need to deal with it and not act like a f**king toddler who thinks he knows it all.

^ This. Applies to you as well. Right? So take your own advice and deal with it. We disagree. It’s allowed.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
So if you measure the progress of the club as being everything except the results of the Men's First Team, who is it that's responsible for the results of the Men's First Team?

You've also not read (at least not read properly and understood) my reply to [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] on this very thread, this very afternoon. I suggest you do.

When looking at results, points on the table is one thing. You also need to look at the stats as well. As an example, this season we have, so far, scored one more goal and let in 10 fewer goals than last year. Points maybe the same, but delving deeper shows improvements on the pitch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's the old lack of self awareness again isn't it.

Applies to you as well. Right? So take your own advice and deal with it. We disagree. It’s allowed.
I'm curious, how have I given the impression it doesn't apply to me? If you want to find an example of me getting stroppy with anyone over their footballing opinion, you'll have to show me. What you actually mean is you don't like being put down and shown up as an entitled arrogant plum, so you've put up this flimsy and completely false "you're as bad" argument. Fill your boots, you know what you are.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's the old lack of self awareness again isn't it.

I'm curious, how have I given the impression it doesn't apply to me? If you want to find an example of me getting stroppy with anyone over their footballing opinion, you'll have to show me. What you actually mean is you don't like being put down and shown up as an entitled arrogant plum, so you've put up this flimsy and completely false "you're as bad" argument. Fill your boots, you know what you are.

[emoji108]

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Great entertainment this thread has been for me in the last 24 hours or so, although its slightly strayed from the original opening post at times :)

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Voted Potter Out in at least two fence-less polls, maybe more around the turn of the year. Yes he has slowly turned me around. A number of issues dogged us in the calendar year 2020 and he has fixed most and started to address others, picking up some nice wins. I'm much more optimistic for next season.

What I don't get is the cult of Potter, that he is bigger than the club. He's a decent football coach but there are quite a few out there. The world won't end if he goes to Spurs.

I think we'd all like to think that given time, Potter will get us achieving at a higher level than we currently are. While I'm dissapointed by the points tally and results this season, if you'd asked me two years ago how long it might take for Brighton to start seriously climbing up the table in a sustainable way, I might have guessed about 5 years, and a relegation back to the Championship thrown in at some point along that line wouldn't have surprised me.

It is often said though that the league table is almost completely determined by finances. It may well be the case that Potter can't overcome that any more than any other manager. But if I take that cynical view, I'd rather be stuck in the bottom 6 with a manager who tries to play well, tries to beat the bigger teams, and frankly exudes decency to an extent uncommon in football, than with most of the other riders on the management merry-go-round.

One day his time will be up, as it comes to all managers/coaches/captains. And we can move on to arguing over how utterly incompetent, naive, daft or boring his successor is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just like some of us dont get why the league table is bigger than the club (for fans of said club), as evident in the "no progress" thread - the club producing exciting talents, playing decent and brave football, the squad value rising with each month... all thanks to the excellent work laid down by TB, DA, GP, staff, physios, x number of youth coaches; the club. None of this matters to you however - its only the league table that counts. To you, winning/league position is bigger than the club - and just like the "cult of Potter", this is pretty difficult to understand.

I would have thought that winning/league position might be a tad important to Mr Chairman too.

You see, every position in the EPL is worth a significant wedge. Now I thank Mr Chairman for every penny of his personal wealth that he has invested in the club and I would love to see his investment start to be repaid. Now it's likely everything that we get will be plowed back in and that gives us a bigger pot to work with for next season.

So yes, of course league position is important. For the club!

(And that's without going into the loss of revenues, and the consequences of such, should we get relegated)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As long as I see an improvement I am am happy to give a manager time over two year’s placings. To change the style of play doesn’t happen quickly, see Klopp if you need further proof.

I quoted a part of your reply to Sheebo in my previous reply to you and I have no idea what you think I have missed. It certainly wasn’t your impatience :smile:

That's not an answer. Who at the club is responsible for the results achieved by the Men's First XI? It's not Hope Powell or the bloke who sorts the PPE is it?

And which bit of "Yes he has slowly turned me around. A number of issues dogged us in the calendar year 2020 and he has fixed most and started to address others, picking up some nice wins. I'm much more optimistic for next season." didn't you either read or understand?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would have thought that winning/league position might be a tad important to Mr Chairman too.

You see, every position in the EPL is worth a significant wedge. Now I thank Mr Chairman for every penny of his personal wealth that he has invested in the club and I would love to see his investment start to be repaid. Now it's likely everything that we get will be plowed back in and that gives us a bigger pot to work with for next season.

So yes, of course league position is important. For the club!

(And that's without going into the loss of revenues, and the consequences of such, should we get relegated)

No, every position in the EPL is worth a very (on the grand scheme of things) insignifcant wedge. £2m is money yes, but largely a piss in the ocean. It is one Jan Mlakar. One of Rob Sanchez fingernails. Economically speaking its going to do a lot more good (as long as relegation is avoided) to win a bit less with younger players than to win a bit more with experienced ones.

The academy being successful is, as I see it and probably for TB as well, a lot more important part of the progress than whether the final position is 15th or 16th.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, every position in the EPL is worth a very (on the grand scheme of things) insignifcant wedge. £2m is money yes, but largely a piss in the ocean. It is one Jan Mlakar. One of Rob Sanchez fingernails. Economically speaking its going to do a lot more good (as long as relegation is avoided) to win a bit less with younger players than to win a bit more with experienced ones.

The academy being successful is, as I see it and probably for TB as well, a lot more important part of the progress than whether the final position is 15th or 16th.

The difference between 17th and 18th though is MASSIVE. And in normal times the TV companies will show the more successful team more often so there's the TV money divvy up to think about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

At this point I have to question if you’re actually on a massive wind up, surely nobody can be this inconsistent without doing it intentionally.

You routinely call people out for name calling, yet happily call people names.

You tell everyone that you’re entitled to your opinion, which of course you are, yet you simply do not tolerate anyone who dares share an opinion that differs from yours.

You must be aware that you’re consistently contradicting yourself?

In all of the years I’ve posted on this forum I’ve seldom heard the ignore list mentioned, yet it’s a common theme with yourself, you’re forever telling us of your ever growing list, have you ever stopped for a moment and thought a little more about that? There’s dozens of people on here that I don’t particularly care for (opinion wise), but putting people on ignore is just ridiculous, if you can’t handle a difference of opinions without losing your mind then possibly this isn’t the place for you.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Of course not.

It’s always clever to be smart after the event . Glad to b proven wrong but at the time one win in over a year was a joke and many managers would of been sacked just for that . But if it gives you a hard on them I’m happy for you . But if potter does get sacked next season for the same set of results I’ll also dig through theses lickers posts and put them up [emoji3577]
Also if Maupay ends up being are only threat then god help us

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you are misquoting. I can’t see where he said that in his post.

Also, point of order here. Much of the groundwork was laid down before GP arrived.

As to the cult of Potter, much of it is down to the fact that he is a British manager, and there aren’t many of those about in the top flights. Appreciate you are (may be) Swedish so it won’t mean as much, but for others he’ll be quickly held up as a new messiah Eg MOTD pundits always quick to point it out “exciting new manager” and so forth.

The cult of Potter is nothing to do with the fact he is an English manager as far as I'm concerned, it is down to the way he has the team playing. Is the cult of Pep down to the fact he is Spanish, or the cult of Klopp down to the fact he is German? Ridiculous.

Also, I agree that the groundwork was there before GP arrived but let's be honest, it takes someone like GP to actually use some of the players coming through that system. Can you imagine CH playing Sanchez ahead of Ryan and Walton or Alzate ahead of Stephens and Propper? Chuck in Ben White as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's not an answer. Who at the club is responsible for the results achieved by the Men's First XI? It's not Hope Powell or the bloke who sorts the PPE is it?

And which bit of "Yes he has slowly turned me around. A number of issues dogged us in the calendar year 2020 and he has fixed most and started to address others, picking up some nice wins. I'm much more optimistic for next season." didn't you either read or understand?

You are obsessed with the league placing over everything else. Of course it’s Potter’s responsibility but when you consider chances made and missed in comparison to previous PL seasons as well as the tightened defence in an adventurous team surely you can see patience is required. It is been glaringly obvious that Potter is not to blame for strikers missing chances and midfielders who seem to have banana boots when shooting. Even with lower quality PL strikers and an injury prone old timer starting to come good you should be able to see an ongoing improvement over the last two seasons. Painfully and frustratingly slow but we are progressing.

I hope your new found optimism doesn’t fall apart after a few bad results next season though. If we are still 17th and dominating games we keep losing by the END of next season I could come around to your way of thinking. I don’t think it will happen but fear not I will be Potter out if we go backwards having invested in players. The midfield with or without Biss will need to start scoring too

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Oy! [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] are you T immy in disguise? :lolol:

Edit. Putting the name as a whole comes back with something completely different :D

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The scary part of the long term building could be about to hit us for the first time this transfer window. We have 4 or 5 players that one or more of the big budget clubs could use, we have young players pushing to start in some of the positions, I hope we get the balance right.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody owes anyone an admittance that they were wrong. They might feel that way and change their mind, as is their right on a football forum. The thing is, we won 1 home game in a calendar year and couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo in all that time (but we do look much better in 2021). Now I've never been of the Potter out view, but to hold that opinion is absolutely valid faced with that stark reality. If you can't cope with alternative opinions then that is your issue, not theirs.

Where did I say anyone owed anything? (I didn’t)
I merely asked a question if any of the very vocal Potter outters had changed their mind.
Where have I shown I ‘can’t cope’ with alternative opinions? Completely out of context patronising as per usual from you. Grow up, stop looking for confrontation, putting words in people’s mouths and generally bullying whoever you pick on to make you feel better. It won’t ever work on me sunshine as I’ll just tell you to **** off :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The difference between 17th and 18th though is MASSIVE. And in normal times the TV companies will show the more successful team more often so there's the TV money divvy up to think about.

It's a bit of both tbf. Actual moneywise its not a lot but one of our biggest issues in this league is credibility. 'Little Brighton happy to just be here', stepping stone to the bigger clubs etc etc. It's a long road ahead before that goes away but climbing the league is an essential part of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here