Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Blooms vision for the club (aka Olive Branch II)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Okay, to be fair - there have been times I've found myself in agreement. However, you've just kind of helped prove my narcissistic point.

For what it's worth, I've been convinced by Potter recently - so you have that over me. BUUUT, still think you get way too carried away in your posts. Hopefully next season, we'll get Potter the striker he needs and we'll all be laughing at palace :drink:

See? I’m alright [emoji482]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At one time, I would have said the same things about Gus. When Garcia went and Hyypia failed, I thought that Chris Hughton was a pedestrian appointment that didn't excite me at all. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was exactly what we needed at that moment. I was gutted when he was sacked, but accepted that it was for the best. The club found someone who seems to be exactly what we needed to make the next transition. Trust that when Potter goes, the club still has the ability to find the next 'exactly what we'll need'. They won't get every one right, but I trust the process.

Touting aside I thought the same about Gus until he shat on us

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Voted Potter Out in at least two fence-less polls, maybe more around the turn of the year. Yes he has slowly turned me around. A number of issues dogged us in the calendar year 2020 and he has fixed most and started to address others, picking up some nice wins. I'm much more optimistic for next season.

What I don't get is the cult of Potter, that he is bigger than the club. He's a decent football coach but there are quite a few out there. The world won't end if he goes to Spurs.

But talking of being wrong did you keep your bet post for REMF with me? I believe if was £50 and I got 16th and below in the table and you got 15th and above. Confirm I am right as that probably hangs on Sunday's games. I will be more than happy to pay up and provide evidence on NSC if I lose.

Just like some of us dont get why the league table is bigger than the club (for fans of said club), as evident in the "no progress" thread - the club producing exciting talents, playing decent and brave football, the squad value rising with each month... all thanks to the excellent work laid down by TB, DA, GP, staff, physios, x number of youth coaches; the club. None of this matters to you however - its only the league table that counts. To you, winning/league position is bigger than the club - and just like the "cult of Potter", this is pretty difficult to understand.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The funny thing is I am genuinely one of the most kind and most positive person on NSC.

Probably contribute more quality posts then most too, if I may be so bold.

I'm sorry, this has to be a pisstake now doesn't it?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There are very few that we could afford who could do what he has done with the budget and time in the job, I'd like you to name just one you'd swap him for too :wink:

I didn't actually bite my tongue as well as I wanted to there...and I AM going to bounce this when we are flying next season. My world will end if he goes to Spurs though :lolol:

GP is not bigger than the club but he is the best thing that's happened to it on the managerial side, imo. Controversial I know.

Same. I also don’t think GP is bigger than the club at all. Honestly if I genuinely believed we were going backwards or not progressing with him I’d want him out. Like you, I happen to believe we’ve found ourselves the perfect coach for this moment in our clubs history.

Getting us promoted and solidifying our PL status with Hughton was essential. And he did an incredibly important job for our club. GP is building on this with Tony to take us to the next level.

With the quality of players we already have, the talent coming through, and a coach who improves players tactically and personally, there’s so much to be excited for with us at the moment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just like some of us dont get why the league table is bigger than the club (for fans of said club), as evident in the "no progress" thread - the club producing exciting talents, playing decent and brave football, the squad value rising with each month... all thanks to the excellent work laid down by TB, DA, GP, staff, physios, x number of youth coaches; the club. None of this matters to you however - its only the league table that counts. To you, winning/league position is bigger than the club - and just like the "cult of Potter", this is pretty difficult to understand.

I wish I’d typed that. Nail.On.Head

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I wish I’d typed that. Nail.On.Head

It really isn't though. It totally proves my point.

No one is saying Bloom out, physio out, under 23 coach out, recruitment out, tea-boy out. The club is clearly represented in Swanny's post and Potter is a cog in that wheel.

He just so happens to be an important cog to someone whose whole NSC raison d'etre is the Head Coach.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
None of this matters to you however - its only the league table that counts. To you, winning/league position is bigger than the club - and just like the "cult of Potter", this is pretty difficult to understand.

I'm not sure that that bit is accurate. A good number see us hovering above the drop and think that failing to hover will jeopardise all the progress you rightly list. In football its very difficult to take the long term view, whether you are a fan or an owner. Our owner is doing it and I'm very glad that he has the nerve to. I'm not surprised that many fans don't have the same seemingly unwavering belief, especially in the face of so many disappointments this season. Questioning the plan, is not necessarily considering league position to be more important than the things you list. Its more about having concern over the pace of the journey and having differing opinions about what to prioritise to ensure that the next step is another forward one. Personally I'm just trying to follow the advice of a previous successful incumbent of Potter's job: "Keep the faith." This has certainly been a lot easier since the results against Newcastle, Southampton & Leeds.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It really isn't though. It totally proves my point.

No one is saying Bloom out, physio out, under 23 coach out, recruitment out, tea-boy out. The club is clearly represented in Swanny's post and Potter is a cog in that wheel.

He just so happens to be an important cog to someone whose whole NSC raison d'etre is the Head Coach.

No, your point is that we haven’t progressed. The league table says we haven’t but most people’s eyes tell them we have :shrug:

I know you have only wanted Potter out, not suggesting you wanted anyone else out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, your point is that we haven’t progressed. The league table says we haven’t but most people’s eyes tell them we have :shrug:

I know you have only wanted Potter out, not suggesting you wanted anyone else out.

So if you measure the progress of the club as being everything except the results of the Men's First Team, who is it that's responsible for the results of the Men's First Team?

You've also not read (at least not read properly and understood) my reply to [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] on this very thread, this very afternoon. I suggest you do.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It's going to be bloody lovely next year if the league position ends up matching the performances. We can put all this to bed.

I was hopeful that this would have been put to bed once we'd guaranteed survival.
However, the 'I told you so' posts have continued.

Ideally we can just all get on the same page right now, enjoy the last game of the season, enjoy the Euros and look forward to the pre-season friendlies, new faces and summer.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I will admit to being very much up and down on Potter this season. I still maintain that there have been games where he has got it badly wrong. Other times we have looked so good I've got a bit teary.

Some games Potter has looked totally clueless. In others a bloody genius.

No wins in December. 3 wins at home all year. Couldn't beat the teams below us. Couldn't see where the next win was coming from. Yeah, I thought thee was a danger that he would drag us down.

Of late we have put in some excellent performances and got some magnificent results. All credit to him for somehow pulling things round.

I would be surprised if I was alone in sometimes thinking "this is brilliant" and at other times thinking "this is total shit". It's the ups and downs of following BHAFC!

I think you speak for many.

Likewise, I have only ever wanted Potter and the team to succeed, but in the first half of the season there were performances and decisions that left a lot to be desired. They resulted in many fans asking whether or not Potter was right for us.

When asked for their opinion in a poll whether he was or was not, unsurprisingly, many opted to say that they felt he was not right. I was certainly among them, and even the Spurs game did not change my opinion as I saw it as a possible anomaly.

However, since there has been much more consistency. Some of the things that frustrated many of us (team selections that just felt experimental) have gone. I feel much more confident.

None of this makes my earlier thinking about Potter wrong, no more than it makes those who voted consistently to keep Potter right. There are still faults to address and aspects of how we set up that will need addressing (eg, how we adapt to play sides intent on blocking us deep and playing on the counter), but GP is a a prime position to really move us on now and we wish him all well.

In the future, we may well come to doubt managers and players. That’s life. We will have differences of opinion. That’s ok. What I’ve learned is that it is never as simple as In/Out. There are nuances and we will never see that in a simple poll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So if you measure the progress of the club as being everything except the results of the Men's First Team, who is it that's responsible for the results of the Men's First Team?

You've also not read (at least not read properly and understood) my reply to [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] on this very thread, this very afternoon. I suggest you do.

As long as I see an improvement I am am happy to give a manager time over two year’s placings. To change the style of play doesn’t happen quickly, see Klopp if you need further proof.

I quoted a part of your reply to Sheebo in my previous reply to you and I have no idea what you think I have missed. It certainly wasn’t your impatience :smile:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's going to be bloody lovely next year if the league position ends up matching the performances. We can put all this to bed.

It’s more likely than not that we won’t get exactly the points we deserve. Football is chaos. But I’m willing to bet we’ll be more comfortable next year, barring any squad upheavals. Since Sanchez has come in our defence has been immaculate. And Solly and Lamptey will be like new signings, plus one or two new forward options.

I just hope that we don’t have to have all the hysteria next season. If we say, happen to be held to a draw at the Amex by Brentford people can calm down and not start calling for the managers head after those games. Because results like that will always happen.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Maybe you can't understand it because you have no skin in the game?

The majority of fans just want to see us win and finish as high in the table as possible. I'm not sure why there is such snobbery around this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
League position doesn't matter is such an odd stance.

Try telling the recruitment team league position doesn't matter when they are one of 4 or 5 clubs scouting a player.

'Brighton are after you'.
'oh aren't they always on the verge of relegation'.
'Yes'.
'palace are also after you and they pay about £10k a week more'.
'ok, mid table does offer some security'.
'yeah they don't even have relegation clauses'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It’s more likely than not that we won’t get exactly the points we deserve. Football is chaos. But I’m willing to bet we’ll be more comfortable next year, barring any squad upheavals. Since Sanchez has come in our defence has been immaculate. And Solly and Lamptey will be like new signings, plus one or two new forward options.

I just hope that we don’t have to have all the hysteria next season. If we say, happen to be held to a draw at the Amex by Brentford people can calm down and not start calling for the managers head after those games. Because results like that will always happen.
If people want to do that, they can do that. No-one needs permission from you. Equally, if people dare to get upset and want him out because Palace turn up and beat us, meaning they've now won as many league games at the Amex as we have in the same calendar year, then that's OK too. If you don't like that, then you need to deal with it and not act like a f**king toddler who thinks he knows it all.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If people want to do that, they can do that. No-one needs permission from you. Equally, if people dare to get upset and want him out because Palace turn up and beat us, meaning they've now won as many league games at the Amex as we have in the same calendar year, then that's OK too. If you don't like that, then you need to deal with it and not act like a f**king toddler who thinks he knows it all.

Well said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here