Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Blooms vision for the club (aka Olive Branch II)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bouncing threads, never really happened on here until more recently, at a guess I’d say it started some time around May 2019…

I disagree.

The Ashley Barnes thread?

For me, it’s the timing of certain bounces. It can lack class and isn’t helpful.

I’m sure that with hindsight we all wish we hadn’t started 4756 Potter In/Out polls, but there you go.

Let’s move on. He’s doing well, the team looks like it has the wind in its sails and we get to fight another top flight campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I disagree.

For me, it’s the timing of certain bounces. It can lack class and isn’t helpful.

I’m sure that with hindsight we all wish we hadn’t started 4756 Potter In/Out polls, but there you go.

Let’s move on. He’s doing well, the team looks like it has the wind in its sails and we get to fight another top flight campaign.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not denying that it ever happened, but I’m certain it’s never happened as frequently as it is currently.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Opens thread in hope that the thread has got back on track.

See's another 5 pages have been added today and reads first page.

Decides that I prefer the Brexit thread.

Leaves thread.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I disagree.

I wouldn't go that far, sometimes those threads were more entertaining than the match.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I’m relatively new on here (2018) but please can someone explain to me why people are arguing about historic time stamped opinions now.

Is it basically who was right, at this exact point in time? What am I missing?

I’ve been relatively potter in but will happily admit I’ve had my doubts (at certain times) but thankfully I can change my opinion based on what’s served up and frankly isn’t this typically why football forums exists?

Seems to be an obsession that you have to be potter in or out and it’s almost tribal.

This is the crux of it and I have seem similar instances in threads about players where a player is either amazing or shit, it's not possible to say that they're just ok.

I am not and have not been 'Potter out' but I can understand why certain people might be, whereas a very vocal minority of those who are 'Potter in' cannot comprehend why someone would want to change manager.

Then, people like myself and Guinness Boy who are somewhat on the 'fence', in that we think Potter is a good manager but hasn't accomplished anything yet and is due criticism when things go wrong (just like he deserves praise when things go right), get lumped in with the 'Potter Out' folk by that vocal minority who believe Potter is the best manager in our history, nailed on for the England job etc.

They see any criticism of Potter as being 'Potter out', they cannot seem to understand that people can have a balanced opinion rather than being 100% 'Potter in' or 100% 'Potter out'.

Then, we have certain people bouncing old threads, offering olive branches (interestingly only after we win, not after our bad results) trying to say 'hahaha see you Potter out folk were wrong'. Which in reality, I don't see how beating Man City would change the mind of a lot of Potter out folk when the criticism has largely been around our results against the bottom teams and our league position (which in all likelihood will be 17th).

There's also no recognition that things and opinions can change over time. People who at one point were 'Potter out' might now see our progress in the latter part of the season and think he's the right man for the job. Were they wrong at the time to criticize/want a change of manager? For all we know, had we ditched Potter and brought in a different manager, we could be higher in the table. Who knows? And maybe next season, we start badly and Potter does end up getting sacked. Would that make those who are 'Potter in' at the moment wrong?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Pringles and Popcorn ready

Guinness Boy v Vagabond the rematch

Shame, @%1;is in the perfectly normal category for me.

I might not always agree, my position might be bit more glass half full, but GB is not the enemy. His opinions are usually quite thoughtful, if on the challenging side.

I occupy the same opinion area as vagabond but it’s a bit like the anti-fascists....on paper they are the good guys, but in actions they do themselves a disservice and are just as bad as the baddies.

It’s a shame we can’t just enjoy the strong end to the season with our all the oneupmanship

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Shame, @%1;is in the perfectly normal category for me.

I might not always agree, my position might be bit more glass half full, but GB is not the enemy. His opinions are usually quite thoughtful, if on the challenging side.

I occupy the same opinion area as vagabond but it’s a bit like the anti-fascists....on paper they are the good guys, but in actions they do themselves a disservice and are just as bad as the baddies.

It’s a shame we can’t just enjoy the strong end to the season with our all the oneupmanship

Agreed. It's a shame some people can't just read a post and reply/respond to the contents of that post - rather than first having to check whether the poster is one of the proscribed ones (their definition of who is proscribed, I guess - I don't think there's an official list) who they feel the need to attack rather than just respond to what they've actually posted.
Now that the football season's nearly finished, it's going to be a long, boring summer if some posters can't keep their dislike of others in check. If people want to have a personal spat, handbags at five yards and umpteen posts, with another poster, keep it to yourself - we're not interested.

You know who you are .....................................................

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Agreed. It's a shame some people can't just read a post and reply/respond to the contents of that post - rather than first having to check whether the poster is one of the proscribed ones (their definition of who is proscribed, I guess - I don't think there's an official list) who they feel the need to attack rather than just respond to what they've actually posted.
Now that the football season's nearly finished, it's going to be a long, boring summer if some posters can't keep their dislike of others in check. If people want to have a personal spat, handbags at five yards and umpteen posts, with another poster, keep it to yourself - we're not interested.

You know who you are .....................................................

i often think of NSC as a busy pub where we are all regulars and as such there will always be banter , heated discussion and disagreements......it's the way life is in a healthy society , i think if you stand back and have a decent look at the place then most of the protagonists will have to agree(myself included) that at some stage most have just come on here for a wind up just as you would in a pub , you will have the bloke who's been on a 3 day sniff bender in Reading bouncing around with a traffic cone on his head being a twatt , been cut off but won't leave as the prospect of facing 'er indoors is too frightening , you'll have the pod of boring , lager drinkers assembled on their favourite corner of the bar , one of them moaning because he's not allowed to bring his dog in , you'll have numerous people in various stages of inebriation and you'll have the judgemental , self righteous few who "know their limits".....you will have pool players , darts players , you will have lads waiting for the match to come on the telly......you will have the bloke who , despite it being the 21st century still believes he can get the 500 quid out of the fruit machine .......you will also have the sage few who will listen and offer advice on anything from slugs in your allotment to leaking radiators and how to get your wife to nosh you off on a regular basis ......... and of course you will have the few pub top boys/bell ends that nobody really wants in the pub but no one is going to tell them .......there really is so much good stuff on here that i think we are doing ourselves and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] a massive disservice by getting hung up on the words and attitudes of the microcosm .........it's been a rollercoaster again this season and i think that in the absence of live football and the UK going through a (in my opinion) criminal lock down which has placed everyone under unprecedented stresses of all sorts........i think the board has remained relatively sane for the large part ..........i have no one on ignore and have never reported anyone ..........let it breath chaps .....UTA Syd..x:albion2:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is the crux of it and I have seem similar instances in threads about players where a player is either amazing or shit, it's not possible to say that they're just ok.

I am not and have not been 'Potter out' but I can understand why certain people might be, whereas a very vocal minority of those who are 'Potter in' cannot comprehend why someone would want to change manager.

Then, people like myself and Guinness Boy who are somewhat on the 'fence', in that we think Potter is a good manager but hasn't accomplished anything yet and is due criticism when things go wrong (just like he deserves praise when things go right), get lumped in with the 'Potter Out' folk by that vocal minority who believe Potter is the best manager in our history, nailed on for the England job etc.

They see any criticism of Potter as being 'Potter out', they cannot seem to understand that people can have a balanced opinion rather than being 100% 'Potter in' or 100% 'Potter out'.

Then, we have certain people bouncing old threads, offering olive branches (interestingly only after we win, not after our bad results) trying to say 'hahaha see you Potter out folk were wrong'. Which in reality, I don't see how beating Man City would change the mind of a lot of Potter out folk when the criticism has largely been around our results against the bottom teams and our league position (which in all likelihood will be 17th).

There's also no recognition that things and opinions can change over time. People who at one point were 'Potter out' might now see our progress in the latter part of the season and think he's the right man for the job. Were they wrong at the time to criticize/want a change of manager? For all we know, had we ditched Potter and brought in a different manager, we could be higher in the table. Who knows? And maybe next season, we start badly and Potter does end up getting sacked. Would that make those who are 'Potter in' at the moment wrong?

You make it sound very one-sided, which is not really the case. Some of you who are on the fence just want the freedom to change opinions on a daily basis, thus never being held responsible whenever you go into "this guy is shite and this guy or this guy should be sacked" modes. Its not "balanced".

GB is a good example, probably the best. Wants to portray himself as some kind of balanced voice of reason but raises his pitchfork at every opportunity and the shit stirring he accuses others of is his own speciality. Just take the draw against Chelsea - immediatly pops up calling it a "Chris Hughtonesque performance". Not necessarily wrong but to anyone who could put two and two together, it was obviously deliberately provoking.

Couple of lost points early on, he starts a thread about how everyone is good enough... except Dan Burn. Poor spell, "the club is regressing". "Get rid of Dan Ashworth". "Look at Swansea now, they are better off without Potter". Thread after thread after thread. Balanced? No, knee-jerk and tiresome. But whenever things are going well, mode swiftly changes to :whistle::whistle::whistle: "nah.... just balancing on my fence here tra la la". Or Stat Brother, "neutrally" lurking through various threads looking for opportunities to take some vague, barely comprehensible dig at someone (Tony Bloom one of the main targets).

I'm not saying that this "post bouncing" or these "GP in/out" polls/discussions are not divisive, but I think you are overlooking the effect of having some people constantly throughout the season looking for new witches to burn or any and every opportunity to take a dig at their least favorite character at the club has similar divisive effect. I'm not against being critical against anyone doing a job for the club, its normal, but the whole "make every drizzle seem like its hailing" thing is something we'd be equally good without as these olive branches.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just take the draw against Chelsea - immediatly pops up calling it a "Chris Hughtonesque performance". Not necessarily wrong but to anyone who could put two and two together, it was obviously deliberately provoking.

Appreciate it’s an example, but I stand by what I said at the time, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was actually complimenting the team on the performance.

I understand you weren’t around then, but as you will have seen from countless posts desperately trying to compare the two managers, Hughton’s strength was his ability to set up a team with excellent defensive shape. Without the ball GP did exactly the same at Chelsea, the difference being, with the ball we now have generally better players, and were a threat.

I didn’t see that provoking at all, unless some want it to be?

I kind of get the other examples which at times are ridiculous (that said I don’t rate Burn as a LWB).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
i often think of NSC as a busy pub where we are all regulars and as such there will always be banter , heated discussion and disagreements......it's the way life is in a healthy society , i think if you stand back and have a decent look at the place then most of the protagonists will have to agree(myself included) that at some stage most have just come on here for a wind up just as you would in a pub , you will have the bloke who's been on a 3 day sniff bender in Reading bouncing around with a traffic cone on his head being a twatt , been cut off but won't leave as the prospect of facing 'er indoors is too frightening , you'll have the pod of boring , lager drinkers assembled on their favourite corner of the bar , one of them moaning because he's not allowed to bring his dog in , you'll have numerous people in various stages of inebriation and you'll have the judgemental , self righteous few who "know their limits".....you will have pool players , darts players , you will have lads waiting for the match to come on the telly......you will have the bloke who , despite it being the 21st century still believes he can get the 500 quid out of the fruit machine .......you will also have the sage few who will listen and offer advice on anything from slugs in your allotment to leaking radiators and how to get your wife to nosh you off on a regular basis ......... and of course you will have the few pub top boys/bell ends that nobody really wants in the pub but no one is going to tell them .......there really is so much good stuff on here that i think we are doing ourselves and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] a massive disservice by getting hung up on the words and attitudes of the microcosm .........it's been a rollercoaster again this season and i think that in the absence of live football and the UK going through a (in my opinion) criminal lock down which has placed everyone under unprecedented stresses of all sorts........i think the board has remained relatively sane for the large part ..........i have no one on ignore and have never reported anyone ..........let it breath chaps .....UTA Syd..x:albion2:

:lolol:
Top work Syd :clap2: this is the best post I’ve read for a long time on here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Appreciate it’s an example, but I stand by what I said at the time, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was actually complimenting the team on the performance.

I understand you weren’t around then, but as you will have seen from countless posts desperately trying to compare the two managers, Hughton’s strength was his ability to set up a team with excellent defensive shape. Without the ball GP did exactly the same at Chelsea, the difference being, with the ball we now have generally better players, and were a threat.

I kind of get the other examples which at times are ridiculous (that said I don’t rate Burn as a LWB).

Indeed, The Chelsea performance was "good Hughton" and only in terms of the defensive shape. 100% a compliment to us having a bit more flexibility in tactics.

There'll be less of this from both "sides" next season so long as we definitely are allowed back in the ground. I've definitely put my instant, reactionary thoughts on here which would have disappeared over a pint with more sensible mates were we at the Amex. And anyone who's stood in a post match bar or bus queue looking for a post to bounce on NSC really will be the ultimate definition of saddo.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
:lolol:
Top work Syd :clap2: this is the best post I’ve read for a long time on here.

it''s been brewing for a while and all brought about by having a torn muscle in my back and being laid up since friday chomping on tramadol and panadiene forte......during the wolves match i got a 30 day ban from fb for pointing out that a fellow albion fan was being a daft ****......he reported me and now i have this "infraction" of bullying and hate speech against me which is frankly a joke ........it has underpinned my belief that we all just take ourselves too seriously sometimes .....especially where football is concerned ,........it's only a game for **** sake but i will maintain that if you are going to go on a club related social media platform calling the club captain names after he's just been stitched up by a team mate with yet another wayward pass then if you get called a daft **** you should just wear it......:drink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I saw it in the same manner and didnt mind at all but considering the endless debate regarding Potter this season, there cant be much if any doubt that it was going to provoke some (which also happened) and I wont believe for a second GB wasnt aware of it. In itself not provoking, in the wider context more so. And as you say, its just an example.

Personally I dont make any CH vs GP comparisons. I've retrospectively seen a few Brighton games where CH was in charge but not enough to say all that much.

While I generally disagree with the perception of the strength of this squad - its a very common opinion on pretty much every PL teams forum that "we have better players than our league position", and not everyone can be right about it - I do think, from what I saw of the CH squad, that it was quite an achievement to stay up in the league the two first seasons, so well done to CH. On that matter my only opinion that might differ from some on this subject is that I dont think the current squad is all that much better (yet). I've seen enough of Trossard, Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Zeqiri, Jahanbaksh & co to believe that the expectations of some fans are higher than the capacity of the squad (unless they perform above their abilities). But thats a bit OT.

But as mentioned, there is too much harshness and fickle, exaggerated and/or opportunistic bashing of various individuals at the club and its just as tiresome, tedious and toxic as the "thread bumping" stuff. At the end of the day the club is in the Premier League despite a small budget, its one of the best clubs in Europe when it comes to playing academy players, the stadium is getting new seats pretty much biannually, continued improvement of the training facilities, lots of exciting talents from the senior squad downwards, the womens team are making progress, the club is involved and on the good side of social matters/footy politics, the boys are trying their best to play good football... knee-jerk hysteria about the club not progressing or some that someone needs to be sacked or that some player should never wear the shirt again, its all a bit exaggerated and unnecessary. Some believe that being generally positive is "happy clapping" and that being overly negative and asking for blood is "being balanced". I dont buy that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I saw it in the same manner and didnt mind at all but considering the endless debate regarding Potter this season, there cant be much if any doubt that it was going to provoke some (which also happened) and I wont believe for a second GB wasnt aware of it. In itself not provoking, in the wider context more so. And as you say, its just an example.

Personally I dont make any CH vs GP comparisons. I've retrospectively seen a few Brighton games where CH was in charge but not enough to say all that much.

While I generally disagree with the perception of the strength of this squad - its a very common opinion on pretty much every PL teams forum that "we have better players than our league position", and not everyone can be right about it - I do think, from what I saw of the CH squad, that it was quite an achievement to stay up in the league the two first seasons, so well done to CH. On that matter my only opinion that might differ from some on this subject is that I dont think the current squad is all that much better (yet). I've seen enough of Trossard, Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Zeqiri, Jahanbaksh & co to believe that the expectations of some fans are higher than the capacity of the squad (unless they perform above their abilities). But thats a bit OT.

But as mentioned, there is too much harshness and fickle, exaggerated and/or opportunistic bashing of various individuals at the club and its just as tiresome, tedious and toxic as the "thread bumping" stuff. At the end of the day the club is in the Premier League despite a small budget, its one of the best clubs in Europe when it comes to playing academy players, the stadium is getting new seats pretty much biannually, continued improvement of the training facilities, lots of exciting talents from the senior squad downwards, the womens team are making progress, the club is involved and on the good side of social matters/footy politics, the boys are trying their best to play good football... knee-jerk hysteria about the club not progressing or some that someone needs to be sacked or that some player should never wear the shirt again, its all a bit exaggerated and unnecessary. Some believe that being generally positive is "happy clapping" and that being overly negative and asking for blood is "being balanced". I dont buy that.

Really good post.....

I think when you list our forward options, it doesn’t read well against the rest of the team IMO......

Still don’t agree re GB, but fair enough

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
it''s been brewing for a while and all brought about by having a torn muscle in my back and being laid up since friday chomping on tramadol and panadiene forte......during the wolves match i got a 30 day ban from fb for pointing out that a fellow albion fan was being a daft ****......he reported me and now i have this "infraction" of bullying and hate speech against me which is frankly a joke ........it has underpinned my belief that we all just take ourselves too seriously sometimes .....especially where football is concerned ,........it's only a game for **** sake but i will maintain that if you are going to go on a club related social media platform calling the club captain names after he's just been stitched up by a team mate with yet another wayward pass then if you get called a daft **** you should just wear it......:drink:

I’m not on Facebook but use Twitter, I have been trying really hard for a few months now to avoid football arguments, not really with Albion fans as the ones I follow are decent.
You are right, we do take ourselves too seriously sometimes with football.

Hope your back gets better soon.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Completely agree. My view is that the agendas against some players (eg March, Connolly and even Webster) are weird and ridiculous. It is also the flip side to the same coin as the ‘look at me. I was right about Potter brigade.’ Some posters wish for BHA players to fail in order to prove them right in their negative view on that player. The internet is just a strange place. On a separate note, are you sure you are Swedish ? You seem rather more eloquent than a number of native English speakers on here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely agree. My view is that the agendas against some players (eg March, Connolly and even Webster) are weird and ridiculous. It is also the flip side to the same coin as the ‘look at me. I was right about Potter brigade.’ Some posters wish for BHA players to fail in order to prove them right in their negative view on that player. The internet is just a strange place..

That it is.
Even on the 'I was wrong about...' thread, there were posters who couldn't just answer that without then putting '.., but I was right about ...'.
So so small.

I can't begin to imagine just how fragile some egos are that people can't possibly be wrong to a group of faceless, nameless, strangers who they are never going to actively meet.

There's also another side to this many headed beast the:-

'You were wrong, I said you were wrong, and I was proven right'.
That can stick in the craw of many a poster, it's as if that validates every other differing opinion that is made for years to come.

In 5 years time I'm still going to be getting shite for being #TeamAliJ. :shrug:

What does that say about those posters?

The weirdest thing of all is that we all want the same thing.

We want our 'escape' to be good.
The fact that it's the best it's ever been still isn't enough for the 'I'm right' posse and 'haha you were so wrong'ists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here