Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays debate - Are Muslims threatening free speech in the UK ?

Are Muslims threatening free speech in the UK ?

• Yes

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hungry Joe said:
Is this the same school that banned Ba Ba Blacksheep? It's an urban myth.

I wouldn't know about banning nursery rhymes but the Christmas ban was no myth.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Biscuit said:
Humans are abit f***ed up though to be honest. They may fight in the name of religion, but if there wasn't any they'd find something else to fight for/in the name of. I can't see us all living in harmony in religion went.. its just used by people who have little interest in it or are completly misguided.

100% agree, its really what I've been saying and believe. Religion in my view is a man made thing. Your thing may be different to mine but because we both follow ours devoutly we protect it and attempt to erradicate each others. So whether its political or reglious (both as they are intrinsically connected) human nature dictates we will war about it. So can a diverse community ever integrate? No!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Silent Bob said:
eh? Maybe you should explain it? Did they go around stealing people's presents?

Has anyone seen that flim "The Grinch"? Political correctness gone mad!!!

Even an idiot like you should be able to work out that they had no decorations and no carol service, I know it caused a bit of a stink at the time.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
bhaexpress said:
Even an idiot like you should be able to work out that they had no decorations and no carol service, I know it caused a bit of a stink at the time.

That does sound a bit shit. I worked in an office where Xmas decorations were banned because they set the burglar alarms off; Security Systems gone mad!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hungry Joe said:
That does sound a bit shit. I worked in an office where Xmas decorations were banned because they set the burglar alarms off; Security Systems gone mad!

Agreed, it was stupid because the muslems that worked there couldn't give a toss and frequently said so. The problem is that the media like to highlight these extreme views and they're not what most muslems want anything to do with.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The problem is separating moderate and extremist Muslims. The vast majority in the UK are moderate but you never hear from them because it's not newsworthy and doesn't drive fear in to the populace. Instead it's the lunatic ramblings of the muderous fundamentalists that make it in to the newspapers and these debates.

If I were to go and live in Saudi Arabia and I opened up a bar and nightclub for Westerners that encouraged a skimpy dress code I could reasonably be expected to be asked to leave the country at the very least (though probably I would be whipped quite a lot first). Similarly I see no reason why we should not be rounding up the extremists and hate preachers and either putting them in jail if they are qualified to be in the UK or deporting them if not. That way the rest of us can get on with living with reasonable, moderate Muslims (which is 99% of them in my experience) in our great multi-cultral, tolerant society.

Edit - before anyone says it I would also be in favour of rounding up the BNP and chucking them in jail too - after all inciting religious or racial hatred is a crime. But this debate is about Muslims specifically.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
But if you're to answer the question literally Guiness Boy the extremist Muslims are the blame for a heck of a lot, but a loss of freedom of speech?

I blame the extremists for my loss of security, safety and ability to travel...But I think that everyone, including moderate muslims, are to blame for our own loss of freedom of speech, as we simply don't respect anything anymore (see my previous post).

Many people in the country feel they have the right to speak loudly and selfishly about their OWN losses in life, and force these opinions down other peoples throats, sue them when they don't agree and go to the press to moan about it....

So why should I express an opinion about anything anymore? I'd get my house egged, ridiculed in the press, strung up on Jeremy Vine for public comment, all because I dared have an alternate view? Where is the respect for someone elses opinion, or lets agree to disagree...

Its gone I tell you!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Guinness Boy said:
Similarly I see no reason why we should not be rounding up the extremists and hate preachers and either putting them in jail if they are qualified to be in the UK or deporting them if not. That way the rest of us can get on with living with reasonable, moderate Muslims (which is 99% of them in my experience) in our great multi-cultral, tolerant society.

Interestingly, we can't deport. And the reason? If we were to deport someone to Saudi who has known exterme views and was pedalling violence they would in all likelihood be arrested, tortured and then Killed. Although I say Tough shit its crucially not the way the government sees it.

I do agree with your point on moderate Muslims. If there was a public figurehead who would come to the fore I'm sure this would help things no end. The problem at the moment is that their seems to be no moderate voice and all that gets heard is the hyperbole surrounding the small minority of extermism.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Guinness Boy said:
The problem is separating moderate and extremist Muslims. The vast majority in the UK are moderate...SNIP
There's no room for decent pragmatism common sense and non-fear inspiring rational thought and opinions here. Kindly move along.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
tedebear said:
But if you're to answer the question literally Guiness Boy the extremist Muslims are the blame for a heck of a lot, but a loss of freedom of speech?

I stand by what I say. Without fundamentalists fomenting hatred to the weak no-one would be lining up to egg your house for your views. In fact I honestly suspect they wouldn't do so now anyway.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Guinness Boy said:
I stand by what I say. Without fundamentalists fomenting hatred to the weak no-one would be lining up to egg your house for your views. In fact I honestly suspect they wouldn't do so now anyway.

I agree with what you're saying, don't get me wrong, but I believe our loss of the ability to speak freely has been exascerbated but the muslim extremists, not that they are simply the main cause.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
the audience vote last night was

Yes 48%
No 52%

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But 50% of the audience were Muslims :lolol: :p

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Barrel of Fun said:
I would say the vast majority are law abiding, there are certainly far less 'muslim' criminals than the 'natives'.

Thats because there's 1.7 million muslims compared to 16 million whites.Not a fair ratio is it?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here