Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays debate - Are Muslims threatening free speech in the UK ?

Are Muslims threatening free speech in the UK ?

• Yes

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hungry Joe said:
Are they? What ones in particular and what Councils are doing this?

Left wing councils, they ban any reference to Christmas as it might offend 'minorities'.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Interesting debate.

I'd put myself in the 'Yes' campaign. That doesn't mean to say we need to 'ship them back to their homeland' as I'm sure the vast majority grew up in this country! It just needs understanding on both sides, and a bit of give and take.

If we offend you were sorry, but don't call for the murder of the pope... tad extreme isn't it?

I just want to grab the head of an extreme muslim, and grab the head of some BNP Nazi and smash there heads together.. everyone needs to chill out and spread the love.

Peace out.

:drink:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hungry Joe said:
:lolol: of course they do.

Well, I know one that used to and probably still does, that was Hackney, I was working on contract there, you've never seen such a muddle but it was oh so politically correct !

Of course I've known various non Christian religions demand to have their holy days off but of course they don't go to work on Good Friday, Easter Monday or Christmas Day either.

Uncle Spielberg said:
I sometimes let off a firework on 25/12 to celebrate CHRISTmas , is that still allowed or has the council banned it ???

Man of Harveys said:
What the f*** are you on about?

He is using his deep and insightful social observations to draw political conclusions and express them via the medium of intellectual comedy. Well either that or he is talking bollocks again.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lokki 7 said:
He is using his deep and insightful social observations to draw political conclusions and express them via the medium of intellectual comedy. Well either that or he is talking bollocks again.
I know where my money's going...which "council"? Brighton and Hove Council? Lewes District Council? The STYLE Council?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
bhaexpress said:
Well, I know one that used to and probably still does, that was Hackney, I was working on contract there, you've never seen such a muddle but it was oh so politically correct !

Hackney were well known as bastions of stupidity when it came to 'pc' policy, not sure they still are though. As far as the original point about our Christmas festivities being curtailed by councils -that's just plain bollocks. It's another one like the benefit/legal aid comment earlier - sounds nice and punchy when the headline is pulled from a misrepresented story in The Daily Make It Up As We Go Along but in reality it's total crap. For a start, how can a Council ban Christmas festivities? They can maybe have a policy for their workers and buildings that seeks to include all cultures in festive celebrations but that's hardly telling everyone in their jurisdiction to take down their trees and lights, it's all over. Absolute nonsense.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hungry Joe said:
Hackney were well known as bastions of stupidity when it came to 'pc' policy, not sure they still are though. As far as the original point about our Christmas festivities being curtailed by councils -that's just plain bollocks. It's another one like the benefit/legal aid comment earlier - sounds nice and punchy when the headline is pulled from a misrepresented story in The Daily Make It Up As We Go Along but in reality it's total crap. For a start, how can a Council ban Christmas festivities? They can maybe have a policy for their workers and buildings that seeks to include all cultures in festive celebrations but that's hardly telling everyone in their jurisdiction to take down their trees and lights, it's all over. Absolute nonsense.

I meant within their offices what else ? I am fully aware of what they can and can't do but tere was a school in Birmingham that banned Christmas a couple of years ago, explain that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As I posted yesterday, I’m not religious and find it unacceptable that my life and what I consider my culture being threatened by anyone who holds a differing view, whether Muslim, Jew, Christian or whatever. I’m perfectly tolerant of anyone who wishes to pass their time on this planet believing whatever they want as long as it doesn’t trouble me in anyway. I believe that’s the view of most people in this country.

Most people when asked put C of E as their religion just to fill a space on a form but truthfully they are not. People look at their parents or grandparents beliefs for guidance to their own. Its here that lies the true extent of the problem. My grandparent may have been a church goer but did not say they are Christian. They would say they were British, no mention of religion. Now though, people are defined by their religion and not their nationality and this is what divides communities and the country. Ireland being a perfect example.

Integration means to include all without the detriment to any and whereas the average person in Britain is happy for this to happen it’s the religious groups that find it the hardest to do. This is simple because if your belief is fundamentally different to your neighbour it becomes difficult and hypocritical to integrate.

There is a certain amount of agreement between Christian faiths and after all the C of E is only a watered down version of R C Church. But Muslim factions do find it difficult to agree amongst themselves and refuse to accept each other so how are they going to integrate into our “Christian” biased society.

Anyone who is devout to any religion or even politics, must be extreme in my view. They lose the ability to have reason and this then become a dangerous situation. As a reasonable person this is why I can not find myself to believe in any particular religion. My politics may be to the right but I do not follow it blinkered like so many do!!

The answer to the question would have to be yes but no more so than other religions have done so in the past. History has proved religion is the route of all evil or at least in the name of religion.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I voted no as it isn't the Muslims who are threatening free speech but it its everyones loss of a wonderful quality called respect. The Muslims are simply the catalyst for the issue...

Where has the respect for someone elses opinion gone? Why when someone feels someone elses opinion is wrong they try ferociously to impart thier own "correct" opinion on them, instead of agreeing to disagree and respect the fact that someone else is entitled to an opinion (no matter how we feel about that opinion)?

Where is the respect for someone elses culture? I respect that Muslim women wish to wear more covering than I do, but she must respect the fact that my children learn at school by positive teaching, which INCLUDES my child being able to see my teachers smile or frown, why can't she respect that that is our culture? Are we not allowed to have a specific culture? Heaven help if we question it in public!

Where is the respect for others property? Someone has again sideswiped our transit parked out the front of our house. £112 again for us since who ever it was didn't respect the fact that they had damaged our property...However I'm not allowed to stop the guy in the street who did it, as I'll be charged with assault! Free speech my arse!

The muslims are not threateneing free speech, its the fact that we as humans have placed so much importance on our own self and not enough on ourselves as a community....I'm offended, I'm angry, I'm upset....

when it should be We...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
tedebear said:
I voted no as it isn't the Muslims who are threatening free speech but it its everyones loss of a wonderful quality called respect. The Muslims are simply the catalyst for the issue...

Where has the respect for someone elses opinion gone? Why when someone feels someone elses opinion is wrong they try ferociously to impart thier own "correct" opinion on them, instead of agreeing to disagree and respect the fact that someone else is entitled to an opinion (no matter how we feel about that opinion)?

Where is the respect for someone elses culture? I respect that Muslim women wish to wear more covering than I do, but she must respect the fact that my children learn at school by positive teaching, which INCLUDES my child being able to see my teachers smile or frown, why can't she respect that that is our culture? Are we not allowed to have a specific culture? Heaven help if we question it in public!

Where is the respect for others property? Someone has again sideswiped our transit parked out the front of our house. £112 again for us since who ever it was didn't respect the fact that they had damaged our property...However I'm not allowed to stop the guy in the street who did it, as I'll be charged with assault! Free speech my arse!

The muslims are not threateneing free speech, its the fact that we as humans have placed so much importance on our own self and not enough on ourselves as a community....I'm offended, I'm angry, I'm upset....

when it should be We...

Well said. Respect. :clap:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
PILTDOWN MAN said:
The answer to the question would have to be yes but no more so than other religions have done so in the past. History has proved religion is the route of all evil or at least in the name of religion.

Humans are abit f***ed up though to be honest. They may fight in the name of religion, but if there wasn't any they'd find something else to fight for/in the name of. I can't see us all living in harmony in religion went.. its just used by people who have little interest in it or are completly misguided.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
tedebear said:

when it should be We...

Shouldn't have such a big car.

:p

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
bhaexpress said:
I meant within their offices what else ? I am fully aware of what they can and can't do but tere was a school in Birmingham that banned Christmas a couple of years ago, explain that.

Is this the same school that banned Ba Ba Blacksheep? It's an urban myth.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
bhaexpress said:
I am fully aware of what they can and can't do but tere was a school in Birmingham that banned Christmas a couple of years ago, explain that.
eh? Maybe you should explain it? Did they go around stealing people's presents?

Has anyone seen that flim "The Grinch"? Political correctness gone mad!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here