Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today we were relegated, now F*CK OFF Mcghee

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Theatre of Trees said:
Am I the only one who didn't think it was bizarre? The pitch was turning into a quagmire, the wings had a lot of surface water which made it incredibly hsard work for those working them. Luton substituted both theirs including their number 7 who gave our left side no end of problems throughout the match. Part of that was due to Frutos' defensive shortcomings which we all know is a weakness in his game, their equaliser came from that side. With the pitch the way it was, Frutos probably tiring (something that tends to happen on decent pitches too) we needed to shore up defensively. Finesse is out off the window because the ball was now being hoofed forward because it was impossible to play through midfield. On a couple of occasions passing moves on the floor broke down because the ball got stuck in the mud. Reid would have been an ideal candidate but he wasn't on the bench, Carole is not the answer because his close control with feet would have been defeated by the pitch, Gatting is a forward, that leaves Dodd and El Abd. The former has only recently returned from injury so perhaps the rigours of the pitch may have been too much, therefore by elimination you're left with El Abd. He is too out of position on the left therefore it is safer to play him on the right and move Hart left, yes he will have to cut in to cross but his defensive tenacity will give Lynch the extra cover he needs.

That is what I worked out when the substitution was made. I don't think we surrendered any forward momentum as I seem to recall Hart hitting the bar when playing on that side. With the pitch in the state it was the primary concern is to defend from possible errors resulting from it. I still think Henderson was caught out by the speed the ball went across a surface where a previous one had got stuck.

I agree, the only two things I wmight have done differently was swap El-Abd and Hinsh around and brought Carole on a bit earlier for Hart.

Theatre of Trees said:
Am I the only one who didn't think it was bizarre? The pitch was turning into a quagmire, the wings had a lot of surface water which made it incredibly hsard work for those working them. Luton substituted both theirs including their number 7 who gave our left side no end of problems throughout the match. Part of that was due to Frutos' defensive shortcomings which we all know is a weakness in his game, their equaliser came from that side. With the pitch the way it was, Frutos probably tiring (something that tends to happen on decent pitches too) we needed to shore up defensively. Finesse is out off the window because the ball was now being hoofed forward because it was impossible to play through midfield. On a couple of occasions passing moves on the floor broke down because the ball got stuck in the mud. Reid would have been an ideal candidate but he wasn't on the bench, Carole is not the answer because his close control with feet would have been defeated by the pitch, Gatting is a forward, that leaves Dodd and El Abd. The former has only recently returned from injury so perhaps the rigours of the pitch may have been too much, therefore by elimination you're left with El Abd. He is too out of position on the left therefore it is safer to play him on the right and move Hart left, yes he will have to cut in to cross but his defensive tenacity will give Lynch the extra cover he needs.

That is what I worked out when the substitution was made. I don't think we surrendered any forward momentum as I seem to recall Hart hitting the bar when playing on that side. With the pitch in the state it was the primary concern is to defend from possible errors resulting from it. I still think Henderson was caught out by the speed the ball went across a surface where a previous one had got stuck.

Yep, level-headed analysis backed up by a common sense assessment of events in the game. The kind of stuff I sometimes despair of ever seeing on here.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Good analysis Theatre of Trees.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every year 3 teams get relegated from this division, generally the teams with the least resources and occasionally when the manager isn't up to it, even teams that shouldn't like Forest go down. We stayed up as one of the 4 worst teams last year because of Forest, Rotherham and Gillingham being worse than us. This year the 3 weakest teams occupy the bottom 3 places and somehow it is turned into McGhee's fault that we are one of them.

Can one of you "it's all McGhee's fault" moaners please tell me which teams we should be finishing above and why. Blaming McGhee for our lack of wins when he's not got the tools to do the job on an equal footing is just a piss poor excuse for not being able to work out the real reason we are where we are. I doubt anyone could have saved us with the lack of a decent target man, or is it also McGhee's fault we've taken this long to sign one?

Three draws in the last 3 games prove that the players are still playing for McGhee, which is the least we can expect in our current situation, more would have been a big bonus and neither the team nor McGhee deserve the shit being thrown by those that seem incapabable of accepting facts.

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
woodster said:
for me there is a huge difference to how this season is ultimately going to end - relegation, and how last season ended with a close escape from relegation.

last season we managed to almost f*** up what had looked like a comfortable mid table finish - mid table mediocrity oh the thought! we stayed up by the skin of our teeth when we should have been safe. generally we were an ok team which seemed to have the fight and determination to survive - something the Albion have had a lot of in recent years to win championships etc

but this season has been one long story of the same old problems. there have been too many games when we have been in front and not killed the game off. mad substitutions, the same excuses, lack lustre performances from a group of players well capable of staying in this division.

there IS a problem that lies deep within the management of this team. it has taken its time to appear but its there. i am sorry but MM has to take responsibilty for our position. forget the excuses! he is the one who picks the team, motivates them. it is he who molds the way the team plays.

sorry, enough is enough. DK has got to make a difficult decision - MM must go. we can not start next season with him.

Agree with that the rot set in midway through last season when in my opinion an easy mid table finish was there for the taking, free falling ever since. If Magoon doesn't go i fear a relegation battle in league one next season.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Fragmented Badger said:
I still think you have to judge McGhee's support by what you hear and see at matches. On here, yes, there are a number of very vocal posters who just criticise his every move. But, at matches (and I attend virtually every one home and away) he doesn't seem to get much stick considering our position. I have not once heard a "McGhee Out" chant, and even today when our relegation was all but sealed, barely anything was said/shouted. I'm not saying that everyone still loves McGhee, far from it - I don't myself! But, the vast majority of fans who actually go to matches are still behind him in some shape or form, however difficult it is for some people to accept.

Would agree with this even at Crewe and Plymouth there were grumblings all around me but no vocal abuse of mcghee either

1- the fans couldn't give a shit and are sick of DK never listening so cannot be bottherd to air their discontent.

2-They are all well rounded individuals who accept the current issues and are happy to witness poor performances and releagtion for teh greater good which will be Falmer in 2020.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Icy Gull said:

Three draws in the last 3 games prove that the players are still playing for McGhee, which is the least we can expect in our current situation, more would have been a big bonus and neither the team nor McGhee deserve the shit being thrown by those that seem incapabable of accepting facts.

Chippy gave so much yesterday that he had to go straight onto the treatment table.
Check your programmes next week and you will see Joe Gatting accepting the MoM award on Chippy's behalf.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:

or playing for new contracts

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I blame these draws, all the time we were losing we were in with a chance. :jester:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
or playing for new contracts

Would you choke if you ever had to give McGhee any credit at all ? :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
what for? last year i did.

and is what i said untrue?

Why? Was what I said about the players playing for MM untrue then?

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Fragmented Badger said:
But, the vast majority of fans who actually go to matches are still behind him in some shape or form

I disagree.

It appears to me that the majority want McGhee out, but if you're waiting for the whole of Withdean to be rocking with chants to that effect, you'll be waiting a while. Brighton home crowds are quiet enough at the best of times, why would that change now?

I come across far more anti-McGhee fans than pro- ones.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We have struggled all season and exhibited ALL of the 7-point symptoms of a relegation-haunted team:

1. Inability to win our home games.
2. Inability to win away games.
3. Inability to turn draws into wins.
4. No decent strikers, so no goal threat.
5. Defence prone to make costly mistakes.
6. Squabbles between manager and players.
7. No players want to come here.

The bookies had us joint favourite with Crewe to go down before a ball was kicked, and they have been proved correct.

The question for Dick Knight, therefore, is does he sack McGhee?

My view is that I can handle relegation, but relegation without a fight I find unacceptable. I cannot see this squad who have surrendered Championship status suddenly making automatic promotion next season.

The main reason for this is the failure to attract other players in. We need to rebuild, but it's too early for the kids. There is a 2-year gap to be filled and we need a manager with fresh impetus.

This season we've missed the old Albion spirit - the fight of Cullip, the arrogant class of Zamora andthe pluck of Virgo, and once Oatway got injured we were f***ed.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Truth is we never replaced Bobby Z, we've been nothing with out him. Ok we someohow through more luck than judgement got up via the playoffs but we have always looked a poor imitation of the side that had him in it.

Icy Gull said:
Every year 3 teams get relegated from this division, generally the teams with the least resources and occasionally when the manager isn't up to it, even teams that shouldn't like Forest go down. We stayed up as one of the 4 worst teams last year because of Forest, Rotherham and Gillingham being worse than us. This year the 3 weakest teams occupy the bottom 3 places and somehow it is turned into McGhee's fault that we are one of them.

Can one of you "it's all McGhee's fault" moaners please tell me which teams we should be finishing above and why. Blaming McGhee for our lack of wins when he's not got the tools to do the job on an equal footing is just a piss poor excuse for not being able to work out the real reason we are where we are. I doubt anyone could have saved us with the lack of a decent target man, or is it also McGhee's fault we've taken this long to sign one?

Nice to see that the latter pages of this thread are finally getting some sensible contributions.

Well said Icy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here