Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today we were relegated, now F*CK OFF Mcghee

Repugnant Toad said:
Not quite as bizarre as taking Kazim-Richards off for Gatting

An interesting measure of your jaundice towards McGhee, I don't think even your fellow McGhee outers would back you up on that one, Gatting looked lively and creative and had some good touches when he came on. CKR has a curate's egg of a game, some good things, some disappointing things.

D

Deleted member 2719

London Irish said:
An interesting measure of your jaundice towards McGhee, I don't think even your fellow McGhee outers would back you up on that one, Gatting looked lively and creative and had some good touches when he came on. CKR has a curate's egg of a game, some good things, some disappointing things.
When you are looking to win a game surely you keep CKR on and take off someone else.

:goal:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Repugnant Toad said:
As was I, and for me, it was a cock-up.

Frutos was doing well enough, and was offering us a width that we lost when he went off, replaced by El Abd's graft and committment, but abysmal passing. Not quite as bizarre as taking Kazim-Richards off for Gatting or leaving on all four defenders when only a win would realisically give us a chance of staying up. McGhee does seem to be more concerned about avoiding defeat than winning games. Some perplexing stuff from him today.

Today also showed up once again the folly of not getting in a left-back this season. Lynch was totally out of his depth.

Disagree there, Luton wingers coped much better with the conditions than we did and their right winger and right back were giving our left side a hard time in the first half. On a number of occasions Frutos defensively erred and left Lynch exposed. The wings also deteriorated badly in the second half and the skiddy nature made it more a game for defenders than attackers.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
for me there is a huge difference to how this season is ultimately going to end - relegation, and how last season ended with a close escape from relegation.

last season we managed to almost f*** up what had looked like a comfortable mid table finish - mid table mediocrity oh the thought! we stayed up by the skin of our teeth when we should have been safe. generally we were an ok team which seemed to have the fight and determination to survive - something the Albion have had a lot of in recent years to win championships etc

but this season has been one long story of the same old problems. there have been too many games when we have been in front and not killed the game off. mad substitutions, the same excuses, lack lustre performances from a group of players well capable of staying in this division.

there IS a problem that lies deep within the management of this team. it has taken its time to appear but its there. i am sorry but MM has to take responsibilty for our position. forget the excuses! he is the one who picks the team, motivates them. it is he who molds the way the team plays.

sorry, enough is enough. DK has got to make a difficult decision - MM must go. we can not start next season with him.

What really pisses me off is getting home from the game and seeing that the F*CK OFF Mcghee thread has got going before ANYONE who was at the match has had a chance to express any opinion whatsoever.

People are entitled to their opinions, but anyone who was there today will tell you that this wasn't a game that was going to be greatly influenced by tactical decisions taken from the bench.

And certainly not the tactical wisdom of the armchair occupants at home.

E

enigma

Lord Bracknell said:
What really pisses me off is getting home from the game and seeing that the F*CK OFF Mcghee thread has got going before ANYONE who was at the match has had a chance to express any opinion whatsoever.

People are entitled to their opinions, but anyone who was there today will tell you that this wasn't a game that was going to be greatly influenced by tactical decisions taken from the bench.

Agree totally... The armcair boys know who they are, and funnily enough a lot of them are among McGhees biggest critics... :lolol:

Clowns.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Lord Bracknell said:

100% agree.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:

Incisive and factual, quite unlike the original post that spawned this thread.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fragmented Badger said:
On here, yes, there are a number of very vocal posters who just criticise his every move.

It reminds me of that old saying about empty vessels ....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BarrelofFun said:
Difficult conditions. Not right for someone like Seb.

Hinsh was doing well at the back and changing it would have unsettled the defence.

Who would you put on the right then Kinky, just who?

Paul Reid

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Fragmented Badger said:
I still think you have to judge McGhee's support by what you hear and see at matches. On here, yes, there are a number of very vocal posters who just criticise his every move. But, at matches (and I attend virtually every one home and away) he doesn't seem to get much stick considering our position. I have not once heard a "McGhee Out" chant, and even today when our relegation was all but sealed, barely anything was said/shouted. I'm not saying that everyone still loves McGhee, far from it - I don't myself! But, the vast majority of fans who actually go to matches are still behind him in some shape or form, however difficult it is for some people to accept.

Wise words; as are those from Lord B.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Fragmented Badger said:
I still think you have to judge McGhee's support by what you hear and see at matches. On here, yes, there are a number of very vocal posters who just criticise his every move. But, at matches (and I attend virtually every one home and away) he doesn't seem to get much stick considering our position. I have not once heard a "McGhee Out" chant, and even today when our relegation was all but sealed, barely anything was said/shouted. I'm not saying that everyone still loves McGhee, far from it - I don't myself! But, the vast majority of fans who actually go to matches are still behind him in some shape or form, however difficult it is for some people to accept.

Spot on - although i did hear a shout of 'f*** off McGhee' when El-Abd came on today.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
For what it's worth, Lord B makes a good point, but nevertheless taking off an attacking player (Frutos) for a central defender who you then proceed to play on the right wing whilst moving the right-sided player over to the left immediately after the other team equalise is bizarre frankly, especially when Carole is on the bench and Paul Reid should be.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh our Dwayne knows everthing from his armchair doesn't he.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
samparish said:
For what it's worth, Lord B makes a good point, but nevertheless taking off an attacking player (Frutos) for a central defender who you then proceed to play on the right wing whilst moving the right-sided player over to the left immediately after the other team equalise is bizarre frankly, especially when Carole is on the bench and Paul Reid should be.

Am I the only one who didn't think it was bizarre? The pitch was turning into a quagmire, the wings had a lot of surface water which made it incredibly hsard work for those working them. Luton substituted both theirs including their number 7 who gave our left side no end of problems throughout the match. Part of that was due to Frutos' defensive shortcomings which we all know is a weakness in his game, their equaliser came from that side. With the pitch the way it was, Frutos probably tiring (something that tends to happen on decent pitches too) we needed to shore up defensively. Finesse is out off the window because the ball was now being hoofed forward because it was impossible to play through midfield. On a couple of occasions passing moves on the floor broke down because the ball got stuck in the mud. Reid would have been an ideal candidate but he wasn't on the bench, Carole is not the answer because his close control with feet would have been defeated by the pitch, Gatting is a forward, that leaves Dodd and El Abd. The former has only recently returned from injury so perhaps the rigours of the pitch may have been too much, therefore by elimination you're left with El Abd. He is too out of position on the left therefore it is safer to play him on the right and move Hart left, yes he will have to cut in to cross but his defensive tenacity will give Lynch the extra cover he needs.

That is what I worked out when the substitution was made. I don't think we surrendered any forward momentum as I seem to recall Hart hitting the bar when playing on that side. With the pitch in the state it was the primary concern is to defend from possible errors resulting from it. I still think Henderson was caught out by the speed the ball went across a surface where a previous one had got stuck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here