Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today we were relegated, now F*CK OFF Mcghee

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I hope that mm and dk are working on getting gnw to sign as we speak as he will be a very good player in league 1 - the only problem is millwall will be after him as well and he is a London lad

Kinky Gerbils said:
I hope that mm and dk are working on getting gnw to sign as we speak as he will be a very good player in league 1 - the only problem is millwall will be after him as well and he is a London lad

What fee do you think would be acceptable for us to pay Burnley for him, given that there is an inherent risk with his fitness record over the past year and all the talk (which may be rubbish) about his knees?

I reckon this is a real tough one!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
What fee do you think would be acceptable for us to pay Burnley for him, given that there is an inherent risk with his fitness record over the past year and all the talk (which may be rubbish) about his knees?

I reckon this is a real tough one!

Thats the issue - I have said on a number of other threads i think he is a very good player - he does, however have dodge knees and can blow very hot and cold at this level.

I reckon a fee of around 150k would be the max due to the fact they were willing to let him go for nothing.

Last edited:

The "bad pitch" excuse is just horrendous :nono:

I thought the fancy dan teams in this division with their flashy grounds hated coming to hovel Withdean with its quagmire pitch and we were meant to use it to our advantage?
And yes I know Luton hardly play at Old Trafford themselves but hasn't the pitch been an issue for a number of weeks now? Say, the same number of weeks in which we haven't won a single home game?

Kinky Gerbils said:
I reckon a fee of around 150k would be the max due to the fact they were willing to let him go for nothing.

Well I salute your courage for mentioning that figure again! :lolol:

I agree by the way, although we will spend that money in the knowledge that it will be another El Turi-style gamble that may not come off if he is another Kitson.

You'll be amazed Kinky how many people on here will be second-guessing your decision to spend £150k if that happens! :lol: Or maybe you won't :)

I think around £200k, although I'm worried 1) Burnley won't agree, and 2) Gifton will think he can do better

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kinky Gerbils said:
Thats the issue - I have said on a number of other threads i think he is a very good player - he does, however have dodge knees and can blow very hot and cold at this level.

Where does it say Burnley would let him go for nothing? I heard that Millwall and Leeds were in the mix.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Well I salute your courage for mentioning that figure again! :lolol:

I agree by the way, although we will spend that money in the knowledge that it will be another El Turi-style gamble that may not come off if he is another Kitson.

You'll be amazed Kinky how many people on here will be second-guessing your decision to spend £150k if that happens! :lol: Or maybe you won't :)

I think around £200k, although I'm worried 1) Burnley won't agree, and 2) Gifton will think he can do better

The problem will be, if the knees are as bad as is alledged (again nobody here knows the true extent), there will be a struggle to get insurance and that will mean outlaying anything but a nominal fee would be unlikely.

Also weren't Burnley willing to let him go for nothing, as long as a club took over his contract?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A week or so before he signed the Argus ran a story suggesting that Burnley would let him move for free providing the club took over his remaining contract. As he then joined us on loan you can make your own mind up about the accuracy of the Argus's information.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yorkie said:
Where does it say Burnley would let him go for nothing? I heard that Millwall and Leeds were in the mix.

Topic Review (Newest First)

Voroshilov A week or so before he signed the Argus ran a story suggesting that Burnley would let him move for free providing the club took over his remaining contract. As he then joined us on loan you can make your own mind up about the accuracy of the Argus's information.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
We did sign Jason Dodd, who could have resolved our left-back crisis, but there you go, you clearly blame McGhee for his injuries.

It's incredible to me that you still belittle our need for a striker when you watched GNW totally transform our attacking play a few days ago ???

Re Dodd - how many games, of the small amount he played for us, were at left-back? I was away when he played, but I'd be suprised if he was bought to play there. It's a bit of a shambles that our only natural left-back is Kerry Mayo.

As for the second point, you misunderstand me. McGhee spent roughly £400k (give or take some dispute over the precise figures) on two strikers, but nothing on a left-back, which was an equal priority. Of course we need a striker now; we hadn't, prior to GNW, replaced the one we sold - my questioning of the manager's transfer policy relates to his pre-season activities.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Re Dodd - how many games, of the small amount he played for us, were at left-back? I was away when he played, but I'd be suprised if he was bought to play there. It's a bit of a shambles that our only natural left-back is Kerry Mayo.

Dodd has not played left back for us and at Southampton he was generally either a right back or holding midfielder. I think he filled in at left back for some of his loan spell at Plymouth last season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Explain how we managed to get out of the bottom 3 a few weeks before the end of the season, only to slip back into it again then??? Surely a manager of such quality should have kept us out of trouble from that position?

Clue - not beating teams around us

Coppell is/was a fine manager but he failed as MM appears to have done this season....please stop suggesting Coppell did a better job, he didn't, he just happened to inherit a striker who knew where the goal was. THAT imo was the reason we won a few games more than we have been able to this season.
What nonsense. If you're defence of McGhee has become talking down Coppell and the job he did than you are truly getting desperate.

Anyone with half a brain can see Coppell is a better manager than McGhee.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
What nonsense. If you're defence of McGhee has become talking down Coppell and the job he did than you are truly getting desperate.

Anyone with half a brain can see Coppell is a better manager than McGhee.

Anyone with half a brain would have read the whole thread before jumping on one post in a ridiculous summary of the argument, he or she would also probably accept that different people have different views

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Anyone with half a brain would have read the whole thread before jumping on one post in a ridiculous summary of the argument, he or she would also probably accept that different people have different views
I have read the whole thread. :)

And I accept that people have different views, but to pretend that McGhee is a better manager than Coppell is simply ludicrous. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
I have read the whole thread. :)

And I accept that people have different views, but to pretend that McGhee is a better manager than Coppell is simply ludicrous. :)

I don't think I've said that anywhere have I? I just believe MM has done just as good a job as Coppell taking into account the circumstances and the fact that he has tried to build long term rather than short term. I believe that MM's contribution to BHA will be seen as much more influential long term, I accept I could be wrong but that's how i see it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here