Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To Those Peple Who Wanted McGhee Sacked...

D

Deleted member 2719

cjdavis said:
I,m sorry, but you,ve been spouting on and on here for weeks now, how none of us know anything, because apparently you,ve been a goalkeeper of some high standard etc. etc.etc and therefore you know Everything..!! If you really believe that ALL the last four games were "winnable", any credibility you had has gone...! Please, and this goes for Uncle Speilberg too.....give it a break....!!!! Brighton needs all the supporters it,s got right now.....and singing from the same song sheet. Uncle Speilberg, who I,ve had the pleasure of meeting recently, and does so much good for the REMF is in danger of being the driving force of divisiveness amongst the supporters.

Well done you beat me to this post.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sid James said:
Frankly, I am utterly amazed that four consecutive league losses under a manager with absolutely no previous experience isn’t a concern to everyone.

Well, 3 actually. And we should have got a point yesterday. If we play badly against Blackpool next week and lose, that might be a warning sign but let's all calm down, early days yet.

brightonfan_86 said:
Because the Mcghee lovers will never give any new manager a chance.
Yeah, right, most of us will still be giving Wilkins a chance when you're blowing with whatever the wind is on here.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Here's the perspective.

McGhee did a good job with limited resources. It was clear however that it had started to get to him. He knew that the current squad wouldn't acheive in this division and his motivation had gone - see Crewe game.

At that point, Knight made the right decision to get rid. He put McGhee out of his misery and has given Wilkins a chance.

We're not gonna be pulling up trees in this division but if Wilkins can steer us to mid-table whilst continually developing our young squad into a position to challenge next year, I think he'll have done well. Realistically we should be looking an outside bet for the play-offs.

The only concern I have is that from a backroom perspective, nothing has changed - it's a worry that no one has been brought in to bolster the first team coaching.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Barnet Seagull said:
Here's the perspective.

McGhee did a good job with limited resources. It was clear however that it had started to get to him. He knew that the current squad wouldn't acheive in this division and his motivation had gone - see Crewe game.

At that point, Knight made the right decision to get rid. He put McGhee out of his misery and has given Wilkins a chance.

We're not gonna be pulling up trees in this division but if Wilkins can steer us to mid-table whilst continually developing our young squad into a position to challenge next year, I think he'll have done well. Realistically we should be looking an outside bet for the play-offs.

The only concern I have is that from a backroom perspective, nothing has changed - it's a worry that no one has been brought in to bolster the first team coaching.

Agree with what your saying there! It was reported in the Argus the other day that the club will be looking to increase the backroom staff. Some of the judgement has been a bit unfair on Wilkins so far, He's had 7 games to prepare for in 3 weeks with a shortage of coaching staff but he's still found time to bring in a striker on loan. Just because we've lost 3 league games in a row there seems to be a mass panic amongst fans that we're going down & probably out of buisness. All it needs is a bit of patience from fans and I'm confident Wilkins will gradually turn things around.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brightonfan_86 said:
Because the Mcghee lovers will never give any new manager a chance.

I am what you would describe as a 'McGhee Lover', but I am more than happy to give any manager my backing as it were. Generally, you are twisting what I am saying.

I for one will always support a manager until he is no longer employed by the club. Something you might want to think about Kev....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
I am what you would describe as a 'McGhee Lover', but I am more than happy to give any manager my backing as it were. Generally, you are twisting what I am saying.

I for one will always support a manager until he is no longer employed by the club. Something you might want to think about Kev....

Me too

Minge

Jan 3, 2005
Perhaps the truth is that McGhee was an average manager, but on the SPAZFEST that is NSC that is not an option you are allowed to have.

He did some things that were very good (converting Virgo into a striker and selling him for £1.5m, recruiting Currie, play-off victory, keeping us up on a shoestring, rehabilitating Butters into player of the season compared to Coppell sending him out to Barnet)

He did some things that were poor (Quotes after some defeats, substitutions, bad relationship with some players, the fact that we only won by more than one goal once in two seasons in the Championship).

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Well, 3 actually. And we should have got a point yesterday. If we play badly against Blackpool next week and lose, that might be a warning sign but let's all calm down, early days yet.

A minor detail. :lolol:

Fair comment re. Blackpool this sunday but I think the warning sign might already be there.

I am perfectly calm btw, just concerned.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
mr cgull said:
Before I start my rant I would like to make it quite clear that Wilkins has my full support & backing, but...

To all those people who were appalled by our progress under McGhee and insisted on him being ousted, I hope you are getting a well deserved reality check.

Surprise, surprise, results are no better (possbily worse) under a new manager. Is it due to management? No, it's due to the apparently irrelevant facts of:
1. No ground.
2. No money.
3. Players who had over-achieved in getting to Championship in first place (under McGhee's management ironically).
4. Difficulty in attracting players to an athletics track surrounded by golf spectating stands.

Personally, I think we're exactly where we should be, lower mid-table, and if we can stay there the future looks good with the youngsters. I like the way Wilkins talks and am sure he will be an excellent manager, BUT, if I had to put my house on it (not that I own/can afford one (but that's another rant)), I would back McGhee as an experienced manager of some success, to have lead us as least as high.

Rant over.

McGhee ripped the hart and team spirit out of the club - FACT

Wilkins is left to try and pick up the tattered confidence of players. McGhee sold CKR because he couldnt get on with him, he looked good playing in the Premiership on Saturday evening. McGhee sold Knight because he couldnt get on with him and now he is scoring freely again. McGhee couldnt get any players in on loan, Wilkins has managed to find a forward on loan. McGhee was a centre forward in his day, but why have Robinson, Gatting, McPhee etc not made any progress under McGhee? Its only the fact that Wilkins has managed to produce some great players through the youth set up that we any sort of squad at all!

Are you Andy Naylor in disguise, or perhaps the off spring of McGhee??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Re: Re: To Those Peple Who Wanted McGhee Sacked...

Mr Blobby said:
McGhee ripped the hart and team spirit out of the club - FACT

Wilkins is left to try and pick up the tattered confidence of players. McGhee sold CKR because he couldnt get on with him, he looked good playing in the Premiership on Saturday evening. McGhee sold Knight because he couldnt get on with him and now he is scoring freely again. McGhee couldnt get any players in on loan, Wilkins has managed to find a forward on loan. McGhee was a centre forward in his day, but why have Robinson, Gatting, McPhee etc not made any progress under McGhee? Its only the fact that Wilkins has managed to produce some great players through the youth set up that we any sort of squad at all!

Are you Andy Naylor in disguise, or perhaps the off spring of McGhee??
Hard to disagree with any of that. McGhee had well and truly lost the plot by the end of his tenure. I had no problem with him booting out difficult players, but was expecting him to bring in reinforcements to the club. He didn't, and that is a character trait we can ill afford at this club.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
While I dont think it was a bad thing McGhee went Dick Knight f***ed up royally by not doing it in the summer.

I also think its pathetic people blame McGhee for not getting decent fees for the players that left, that is the job of MR KNIGHT!!!

In fact, the reality check is that everything that has happened to the squad stops at the chairman.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I too think it is too early to panic yet. Whilst the sacking of McGhee might have been bad timing I was - eventually - glad he went. The lack of signings before the deadline closed made me suddenly realise no-one wanted to come here because of this bloke; and he keeps falling out with our existing players.

Can you imagine the riot on here if he was still in charge and we'd lost the last three games? Just remember Stoke, Crewe & Bristol City before anyone starts yearning for him back.

Wilkins has hardly had a chance to get on the training park since he's been given the job; added to which half of the squad appear to have gone down with 'man flu'. Give the man another month before you call for his head. That'll be the time to judge him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I would sack them all and start again.

I can't believe people even bother to post responses to shit like this.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
mr cgull said:
Before I start my rant I would like to make it quite clear that Wilkins has my full support & backing, but...

To all those people who were appalled by our progress under McGhee and insisted on him being ousted, I hope you are getting a well deserved reality check.

Surprise, surprise, results are no better (possbily worse) under a new manager. Is it due to management? No, it's due to the apparently irrelevant facts of:
1. No ground.
2. No money.
3. Players who had over-achieved in getting to Championship in first place (under McGhee's management ironically).
4. Difficulty in attracting players to an athletics track surrounded by golf spectating stands.

Personally, I think we're exactly where we should be, lower mid-table, and if we can stay there the future looks good with the youngsters. I like the way Wilkins talks and am sure he will be an excellent manager, BUT, if I had to put my house on it (not that I own/can afford one (but that's another rant)), I would back McGhee as an experienced manager of some success, to have lead us as least as high.

Rant over.
Bollocks!! We are where we are in this division due to a catalogue of mis-management and the destruction of probably the best team spirit in the country. McGhee is mostly (if not totally) to blame for that. The squad we had last season would have "died" for each other out on the pitch. McGhee sytematically killed that off, fell out with several key players, and sold (or gave away) our most promising ones. He has done the same thing for every club unfortunate enough to have been associated with the useless git. With a half decent manager in charge last term we would have finished in the top half of the table, at least (just ask Spurs that, they nearly shit themselves at the way we played at their place, and don't forget they had just equalled a club record for most consecutive victories!!) Good riddance.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
chez said:
Would love not to be negative, but he has lost 4 games in a row and they werent really what you would call hard games. On top of that he has made some strange substitutions that if McGhee would have made would have been totally unacceptable. I hope that he is a very quick learner but you have to admit the signs aren't good.

Oh right the bloke has lost 4 games, get rid of him then.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting that DK said in hawsey's interview that he wanted to get back to the championship where " we belong"

There was most of us thinking the Championship was a disaster for our dclub as :
1 we were punching above our weight
2 we hadn't the money to pay the going rate
3 we couldnt attract decent players ( Mcshane accepted)

Re: Re: To Those Peple Who Wanted McGhee Sacked...

TonyW said:
(just ask Spurs that, they nearly shit themselves at the way we played at their place, and don't forget they had just equalled a club record for most consecutive victories!!)
Which I guess McGhee had nothing to do with? :dunce: We were only beaten by Robbie Keane, a player who worships McGhee :)

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I wanted McGhee to go and I still believe that it was the right decision. It wasn't because I expected an immediate upturn, but because he had clearly lost his way, and lost the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here