Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun-Brighton do not have the cash to begin building work.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've no idea about the funding, but...

...if there was any truth in the story, don't you think other papers would have picked up on it? If this was a biggish story, why didn't The Sun make more of it?

Similarly, who would his source be about the supposed lack of incoming funding? The banks? The club? The club's solicitors? No-one else appears party to it - aside from NSC, of course.

Be right, please be right :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

...if there was any truth in the story, don't you think other papers would have picked up on it? If this was a biggish story, why didn't The Sun make more of it?

Similarly, who would his source be about the supposed lack of incoming funding? The banks? The club? The club's solicitors? No-one else appears party to it - aside from NSC, of course.

Its not that big a story TLO. Most of the nationals got bored with us years ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Newsflash: we're a noddy club these days. Whether or not we can fund a stadium isn't really national news. Sorry, your explanation doesn't wash.

You seem remarkably sceptical towards the biggest selling newspaper in the country, considering you hang on every word and piece of PR bullshit eminating from the club. Oh, and in answer to your question, I haven't got a clue. Same as I haven't got real proof that the funding is in place for the stadium beyond Martin Perry's word.

O.K, so could a situation arise (and forgive me for simplifying things here) whereby someone from such a bank/financial institution/ whatever wrote a statement saying 'Dear Football Club I promise to lend you £25 million to build your stadium Signed Dave the Banker dated 3/9/2004', and that letter be put in with the planning application and so on and the council be happy with it and grant permission.

Four years down the line when A.N Other FootballClub turn up at Dave The Bankers bank (or whats left of it) and say 'Abouth that money you promised youd lend us 4 years ago...' and Dave The Bankers replacement (he lost his job due to some global economic downturn) says 'What loan/what money/sod off'?
I've no experience of that happening.

I would be certain that Dave the Banker would be pursued and convicted of what is a very serious criminal offence.

You seem remarkably sceptical towards the biggest selling newspaper in the country, considering you hang on every word and piece of PR bullshit eminating from the club. Oh, and in answer to your question, I haven't got a clue. Same as I haven't got real proof that the funding is in place for the stadium beyond Martin Perry's word.
Look at the FACTS, Simster.

Do you think the Council hands over publicly owned assets on the basis of someone's word?

Do you think a company like the Buckingham Group enter into a multi-million pound contract on the basis of someone's word?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I keep promising my 10 year old lad that we will have a stadium to be proud of one day and then he will have some comeback against his piss-taking mates but I am tiring of it all. My belly lacks fire now and I cannot take 3 more years of Withdean.
You are going to have to leave me and save yourselves because I fear I cannot go on.........URRRGGGGHHHH

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've no experience of that happening.

I would be certain that Dave the Banker would be pursued and convicted of what is a very serious criminal offence.
Really? Is it really a criminal offence for a bank to have offered to lend the money in 2004, only to change it's mind nearer the time?

Last edited:

And another thing ...

Does ANYONE honestly think that the details of what are very complex negotiations are going to be released into the public domain just so people who regularly claim that "Dick Knight is a liar" can pick them to pieces?

Get real, people.

Do they ask for evidence of where the funding is coming from or do they take the word of the people that want to it?
Of course they ask for evidence.
The Club will tell the Council if the Council ask them.

that would remain confidential and not made pubically available. usual practice in most commercial transactions.

Do you expect your bank to make the detalis of you finances known to all and sundry? Of course you don't

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Look at the FACTS, Simster.

Do you think the Council hands over publicly owned assets on the basis of someone's word?
I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem to be *that* big a deal to me.

Do you think a company like the Buckingham Group enter into a multi-million pound contract on the basis of someone's word?
Ed, this is far more interesting, but I still remain sceptical. What outlay has been made by the Buckingham Group? If it all went wrong now, they'd sue for tens of thousands, not millions.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem to be *that* big a deal to me.

I'd have thought it was a big deal - it's a legally binding condition of the planning permission. I don't suppose the council officials fancy ending up behind bars just because they didn't check the finances properly !

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The Sun aren't exactly renowned for checking their facts before publishing a story. This looks like lazy journalism to me.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Sun aren't exactly renowned for checking their facts before publishing a story. This looks like lazy journalism to me.

Which rag ran the "Seig Heil" story after our visit to Millwall a couple of years back, was it them or the Star? Either way it does show that football journalism isn't always accurate!

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
On the basis of the last three seasons how could anyone believe that the present board could afford the huge loans required, and that was before the credit crunch. When you read both Liverpool and Everton are having problems in securing the necessary finance for new stadiums what possible chance have we got.
If anyone disputes my opinion I am quite happy to listen providing they can name who is providing the loans.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I can see another pitchside counter statement from Dick the Untouchable tomorrow, must remember to take my headphones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here