Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun-Brighton do not have the cash to begin building work.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't be arsed to read the whole thread, and I assume someone has already said it. But just in case...

BRIGHTON have been forced to delay their move to a new £60million stadium until 2011.

The Seagulls hoped to play at Falmer by the start of the 2010-11 season

...is 100% correct, isn't it?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Wake up people, it's THE SUN.

Anything to sell a few more papers ay.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some thoughts:
1. Liverpool, Everton and Portsmouth cannot afford to fund their planned new stadia.
2. The credit crunch has meant banks are less willing to lend.
3. This club has been loss-making for decades.
4. We are a League 1 outfit struggling to muster 7,000 on a good day.

All of the above worry me about this present board's ability to "get the job done" with the Falmer Stadium.

Don't get me wrong, they've done great so far but the board have exhausted their personal capital and without significant new funds being introduced I really do think the project must be at risk.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Let's look at the original scenario ...

The fact that Dave The Banker's replacement was unable to find the Bank's record of a loan that had been promised means either that Dave The Banker's offer of a loan was part of a conspiracy between him and the Football Club to achieve planning permission fraudulently (which is a criminal offence) or that Dave The Banker failed to keep adequate records of the business that he undertook on behalf of the Bank (which is also a criminal offence).

I didnt say he couldnt find a record of the loan. What I was getting at was that perhaps a bank might have agreed to a loan at one point but now may less keen to lend. No criminal offence, no fraud and no conspiracy. Much the same as a company may make an individual an offer of a job and then withdraw it.

Or am I getting into the realms of fantasy here?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Wake up people, it's THE SUN.

Anything to sell a few more papers ay.

Agree the sun is an absolute rag which I wouldn't wipe my arse on but how does a few lines tucked away probably 5 pages in about Brighton help sell more papers!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
...if there was any truth in the story, don't you think other papers would have picked up on it? If this was a biggish story, why didn't The Sun make more of it?

Make more of it! Nobody else gives a f***! If we went to the wall you'd struggle to find anything about it in the papers behind stories of which nail varnish Ronaldo's using nowadays.

What did you expect, Pages 1-7, last 5 pages, editorial comment and a panini sticker album?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I tell you what I expect.. I expect Dick to chase the Sun on this and get a retraction. If not, then I'd be suspicious.

Right now... I think its typical Sun rubbish but I expect the club to react. If this was a bank today, such news could end up with the bank being forced to close.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bloody nora - 7 pages about an article in THE SUN! My god and I thought better of most of the people on here....

Heaven help this country.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Bloody nora - 7 pages about an article in THE SUN! My god and I thought better of most of the people on here....

Heaven help this country.

One good thing about the Sun newspaper is nobody admits to buying it but everybody seems to know whats printed in it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
One good thing about the Sun newspaper is nobody admits to buying it but everybody seems to know whats printed in it.

Thats because the brain drains that read it, believe it to be true and then proceed to embarrass themselves by shouting about it in a forum such as this.

The Sun quite frankly should be banned. I fear for the next election result when papers like the Sun are taken so seriously.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Tell you what gentlemen, I'm gunna give Dave The Banker a good fuckin' kickin' when I see him :censored: How DARE he promise to give us money then get the CHOP.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I dont know if we have funding in place or not. None of us here does. I know its a million million times smaller, but when I was starting out having my conservatory done, although I had a signed offer of a loan (so I knew where the money was coming from), there was no way that I was gonna start spouting it off to potential building contractors. Would I get a good deal, of course not. They would charge me on exactly how much I had secured. Plus, the exact details of that signed offer would remain secret between the bank and myself.

Cant see it being any different with the Albion.

Plus, the doubters on this page have been proved wrong time and time again over Falmer. First it was over planning permission where they said it would never gain permission, it did. And now its over funding. Sometimes, I get the suspiscion that they would cream themselves if the Albion failed. They offer no constructive alternatives (the alternatives being a sugar daddy and they are not falling over themselves to come to the Albion), they just moan and whinge.

Why they even support the Albion mystifies me.

I know its not perfect, we would all have loved a stadium to be built years ago, but we live in our own situation, i.e the dealys due to LDC and the fact that we dont have a personally mega rich chairman.

Lets wait until December shall we, what 2/3 months time. If no actual building work as stated by Dick, then yes serious doubts and questions.

Until then, can the doubters put up and shut or f**k off elsewhere

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Sun aren't exactly renowned for checking their facts before publishing a story. This looks like lazy journalism to me.
Sounds to me as somebody phoned the Argus to get the inside story. Creative journalism at its best. :)
Rather than just say the stadium will be ready mid season but delayed to the start of the following season doesn't sound the same.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I dont know if we have funding in place or not. None of us here does. I know its a million million times smaller, but when I was starting out having my conservatory done, although I had a signed offer of a loan (so I knew where the money was coming from), there was no way that I was gonna start spouting it off to potential building contractors. Would I get a good deal, of course not. They would charge me on exactly how much I had secured. Plus, the exact details of that signed offer would remain secret between the bank and myself.

Cant see it being any different with the Albion.

Plus, the doubters on this page have been proved wrong time and time again over Falmer. First it was over planning permission where they said it would never gain permission, it did. And now its over funding. Sometimes, I get the suspiscion that they would cream themselves if the Albion failed. They offer no constructive alternatives (the alternatives being a sugar daddy and they are not falling over themselves to come to the Albion), they just moan and whinge.

Why they even support the Albion mystifies me.

I know its not perfect, we would all have loved a stadium to be built years ago, but we live in our own situation, i.e the dealys due to LDC and the fact that we dont have a personally mega rich chairman.

Lets wait until December shall we, what 2/3 months time. If no actual building work as stated by Dick, then yes serious doubts and questions.

Until then, can the doubters put up and shut or f**k off elsewhere

I agree that some may go overboard in doubting what is going on behind the scenes but there's nothing wrong with asking questions. At the end of the day everybody wants clarity in our situation and if it's not forthcoming (even if certain information can't be) then supporters, who always want what is best for the club, are more than within their rights to get twitchy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here