Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun-Brighton do not have the cash to begin building work.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
'Suddenly...'? ???

I would say this, I don't think the club does have the money either.

Well the first I heard of it was the from here the other day, so yes suddenly. Particularly as it flies in the face of everything the club has said to us thus far about things being on time (despite the delay in starting work) and so on and so forth.

As for the money, I think it's pretty clear we don't have £60 million capital lying about. It's more a question of funding than money I suppose if you get what I mean.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As I said yesterday, we will have at least 3 or 4 more press releases like the one we had yesterday.

Arthur - you are such a negative twit. The sun have clearly got the wrong end of the stick here. There is a delay until 2011, but its the completion that is delayed, not the commencement. How clear could this be - and how predictable that the same old curmudgeons jump on this to make hay.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I wonder why no one raised the issue of where the club was getting the money from before now?

Pretty sure it has been raised - my understanding is that some of it's grants from the Football Foundation and the like, some Lottery money, some naming rights and the rest a pretty serious bank loan.

I may have made this up but I seem to remember the figure of 12,000 being given as an average attendance needed to service the loan repayments. Of course with the cost rising that may have risen by now...

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Pretty sure it has been raised - my understanding is that some of it's grants from the Football Foundation and the like, some Lottery money, some naming rights and the rest a pretty serious bank loan.

I may have made this up but I seem to remember the figure of 12,000 being given as an average attendance needed to service the loan repayments. Of course with the cost rising that may have risen by now...

Who by? Whats happened to the people that have raised these questions? Have they been called names?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Makes good press in 3 lines, but unless the board or club state that they cannot afford it, then I will trust them. FFS why would they lie?

1) Keep the supporters happy? No, when lies are found out, and if they are lies they will be found out sooner rather than later, it will eventually make them hated. No gain there then .....

2) Lies will help them sell the club. No, due dilligence would screw that one up.

3) I actually can't think of another reason for lies, but maybe somebody could enlighten me...

Glad you said that - it's something I have thought for a long time. I've tried to think like the regular critics of DK and board and see the 'lies' they say have been told, and I can't think of a worthwhile reason to lie.

On the Wilkins sacking, we haven't been told the reasons and these appear to be confidential and little to do with results on the pitch. We don't have a right to know the reasons and there would be no reason to lie because it would change nothing. Some fans might not like the reasons, but so what? Any company has the right to hire and fire and they don't consult their customers.

On the stadium situation, like you, i believe there is no point in lying. What are we going to do if we hear something we don't like - storm the offices? Refuse to go to Withdean? We haven't bought tickets for Falmer yet so there's no breach of contract with the customer.

The board would love to be at Falmer now and the reasons we are not are many. We know where the real blame lies and it's not in the Albion boardroom.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Arthur - you are living in the real world and asking the questions that many are afraid to despite thinking the same. Unlike the majority of folk you aren't prepared to bury your heads in the sand like many people did with Bellotti and co and beleive anything the club tells you (come on how on EARTH can a years delay be a positive thing!!). You really are a Brighton legend up there with the likes of Zamora, Ward, Foster and Canning.

Thanks very much!

As I said on NSC yesterday ...

The Report that went to the City Council's Enterprise, Employment and Major Projects Cabinet Member Meeting on 16 September 2008 included this:-

Financial Implications

5.1 As part of the development process the council, as landlord, must be satisfied
that the Community Stadium Ltd has secured sufficient funding, bonds,
guarantees and grants for the completion and operation of the development.

In its capacity as landlord, the Council approved the Club's latest proposals. Whilst the details of the funding, bonds, guarantees and grants haven't been made public, we can assume that the Council have been sufficiently satisfied that things are fine. The Council have now released their land to the Albion - which, again, confirms that they are satisfied that the funding is secured.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
As I said on NSC yesterday ...

The Report that went to the City Council's Enterprise, Employment and Major Projects Cabinet Member Meeting on 16 September 2008 included this:-

Financial Implications

5.1 As part of the development process the council, as landlord, must be satisfied
that the Community Stadium Ltd has secured sufficient funding, bonds,
guarantees and grants for the completion and operation of the development.

In its capacity as landlord, the Council approved the Club's latest proposals. Whilst the details of the funding, bonds, guarantees and grants haven't been made public, we can assume that the Council have been sufficiently satisfied that things are fine. The Council have now released their land to the Albion - which, again, confirms that they are satisfied that the funding is secured.

Do they ask for evidence of where the funding is coming from or do they take the word of the people that want to it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On the stadium situation, like you, i believe there is no point in lying. What are we going to do if we hear something we don't like - storm the offices? Refuse to go to Withdean? We haven't bought tickets for Falmer yet so there's no breach of contract with the customer.

I'm not trying to be critical here, at all, but that's not actually true. There are people who purchased 3 year season tickets this summer, on the understanding that this included the first year at Falmer.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'm not trying to be critical here, at all, but that's not actually true. There are people who purchased 3 year season tickets this summer, on the understanding that this included the first year at Falmer.

Fair point but I'm sure the club will address that with the few who have these.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here