Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love this forum. But with certain posters it can feel that you’re not allowed to disagree or have an in depth discussion… that’s the whole point of a forum right? Would be boring if we all agreed. No need to throw shade at eachother in the process :)

Just keeping posting objectively or your heartfelt opinions. It adds to the depth of discussions.

Eventually, with the grace of god, you won’t be pigeonholed as a right wing reactionary for daring to be independent minded :lolol:.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having to go to a food bank on a wage structure that starts at over £32k is not being underpaid. It’s poor budgeting. This past 18 months is the first time in my career I’ve earned more than that, my previous roles starting wage was actually £33k ironically. I supported my other half on statutory maternity pay for a year on that wage, whilst paying rent, bills at the height of inflation, a new born baby, and we got through. So I won’t have that £32k is not a living wage. Especially not in a career that after a few years you can be earning £60k+
If they were living in Burnley or Sunderland (with apologies to Burnley and Sunderland, but you know what I mean) they might be ok. If they are training in a hospital in London, where my daughter did, it might be a bit more difficult. And they would be working in an extremely pressured environment and quite likely in rubbish surroundings. And life is expensive.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No worries, and when for those 10-18 years of training they’re paid £40k plus for the duration I’m sure they’ll be happy to have your support. Night, maybe you’ll wake up tomorrow a little less condescending.

You still seem to be struggling with this so I'll try and explain one more time, without being condescending :wink:

The first 4 to 7 years of that training they are earning absolutely nothing and running up an average of 55K debt on fees alone without any living costs and, by your own figures, don't get near 40K until three further years after that 4-7 years training is finished, so after 7-10 years. It's really pretty straightforward.

You seem to be very resentful of a group of who work hard for years in order to earn a good salary after 10-18 years of investment of their time, effort and money. And we haven't even gone near the hours and commitment that have to be shown during that 10-18 years :shrug:

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Since I started this thread about how people feel now under Labour, I feel like a Sword of Damocles is hanging over pensioner budgeting. As a couple of 'Old Codgers' as Rachel's Senior Adviser called us (by the way, how big has her hole grown today?) I fear the threat of removal of universal benefits may have an unintended consequence of reducing spending by the Grey market who will instead hold on to savings for emergencies if they can due to potential reduced income and increased outgoings, particularly at the moment. It's the uncertainty of how this Government will strike retired people next that might reduce their spending in the economy at the moment. By the way, before anyone piles in on the Fuel Allowance, I don't think that should go to everybody, but I suspect the rushed sledgehammer approach will hit people who still really need it harder than those who don't.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
The 'triple lock' is still a commitment, for how long we'll see of course. The Bus Pass aligns with other policies e.g. public transport, so hopefully safe. However it wouldn't be surprising if the overall trend is to prioritise younger generations. You always reward your voter base after all.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The 'triple lock' is still a commitment, for how long we'll see of course. The Bus Pass aligns with other policies e.g. public transport, so hopefully safe. However it wouldn't be surprising if the overall trend is to prioritise younger generations. You always reward your voter base after all.
Voting age might even edge towards 12.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Britain’s problem is (at least in part) this:

Businesses (especially global businesses) have proven so adept at avoiding UK taxation, that the vast majority of British tax take comes from UK workers.

This leaves us with a dilemma, it doesn’t matter how well businesses do, the UK taxman rarely get a sniff. So, the only way of increasing the UK tax take, becomes to raise wages.

If we want public services, and we’re not going to stop the kind of nonsense that saw us give Amazon a tax rebate recently, despite them and US pharmaceutical businesses being the only “winners” from COVID., wage growth is the only way the tax take can be increased. Businesses of medium size and above just lawyer up and intimidate HMRC.

I have not seen any appetite from politicians of any stripe to speak honestly on this subject, and face the issues head on.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sure bus passes came in for the good reason to enable that old people were not trapped at home and able to get into there local town centre. I dont know when it came in that they can travel anywhere which seems an over the top expense

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Britain’s problem is (at least in part) this:

Businesses (especially global businesses) have proven so adept at avoiding UK taxation, that the vast majority of British tax take comes from UK workers.
it's not Britans problem, pretty common for countries to get most their revenue from workers because they are geographically fixed and earnings are relatively consistent. focusing taxation on profits is fine when there are profits, in bad years, recessions, company just run badly, those profits disappear and with it government revenue.

other good source of revenue is payroll taxes, employers NI, which cant really be avoided less variable than profits, and those global companies pay lots of here.

Last edited:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Reeves has just shown that with the HUGE Public Sector wage rises.

After all, she wants those 6 million votes again.
Next time you're in hospital, or one of your family members are, and the staff are doing everything possible in their power to save them or make you or them better, having done a huge long shift under the most testing conditions many people will never encounter due to chronic under funding for years, don't forget to mention to them that you don't think they should have got that payrise!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Next time you're in hospital, or one of your family members are, and the staff are doing everything possible in their power to save them or make you or them better, having done a huge long shift under the most testing conditions many people will never encounter due to chronic under funding for years, don't forget to mention to them that you don't think they should have got that payrise!
My wife works for the NHS thank you.

I should have worded my post better - the rise should not be across the board.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Because the limit to receive pension credits is £11k - any pension income over £11k doesn’t receive the fuel allowance. So you’ll have pensioners on £11.5k struggling with food and all their bills - plus Sky high heating costs - for under £250 a week.

Perfect example of the point I was making.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here