Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Sorry but think 22% is a joke to people who when fully qualified will earning £120k plus. ( 70/80K If like all Dtrs in our practice choose now to work 3 days) Its certainly the time to be working in Public Services. They will now all have there hand out. While the rest of us have just been trying to keep businesses going and hang on to jobs .
Why on earth would you not want your doctors, nurses, surgeons and people who provide YOU and your family key public services to be paid well? Surely you want the best people in those jobs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why on earth would you not want your doctors, nurses, surgeons and people who private YOU and your family key public services to be paid well? Surely you want the best people in those jobs.
Some of us are old enough to remember when public service employees were sneered at and regarded as time-serving plodders. Do a dull job for life and get rewarded with a decent pension. How times have changed. That's where you end up in a free market driven by merciless market forces ☹️

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ok I'll bite. Where is Boris in your list of liars? Or don't you think Tory lies count.?
I think we can all (pretty much) agree that the last 5 years have been a complete shambles and it's good to have some adults running the country.

However, the (partial) withdrawing of the winter fuel allowance, and the decision to scrap the planned changes to social care is not good for JAMs whilst awarding more than double inflation pay rises to public sector.

It doesn't sit well with me. The 'black hole' figures were known well before the election.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Some of us are old enough to remember when public service employees were sneered at and regarded as time-serving plodders. Do a dull job for life and get rewarded with a decent pension. How times have changed. That's where you end up in a free market driven by merciless market forces ☹️
NHS staff are certainly highly regarded, along with some other professions.

But I'm afraid to say that the rest of us local government officers are still generally treated as though we have it easy and wander through life sitting around pen-pushing, getting well-paid and then ending up with a massive pension. I am probably asked monthly when I am going to get a 'real job'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
NHS staff are certainly highly regarded, along with some other professions.

But I'm afraid to say that the rest of us local government officers are still generally treated as though we have it easy and wander through life sitting around pen-pushing, getting well-paid and then ending up with a massive pension. I am probably asked monthly when I am going to get a 'real job'.
I have to say in my experience that does cover the perception and the reality of a lot, BUT NOT ALL, public sector workers. I have heard many who work there who have previously worked in the private sector saying exactly that.

EDIT: I 100% do not include any of the emergency services in this by the way, Police, Fire, NHS etc are all brilliant and deserve all our gratitude and respect. I'm talking about the town hall/council types who are mostly useless or lazy or both.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have to say in my experience that does cover the perception and the reality of a lot, BUT NOT ALL, public sector workers. I have heard many who work there who have previously worked in the private sector saying exactly that.

EDIT: I 100% do not include any of the emergency services in this by the way, Police, Fire, NHS etc are all brilliant and deserve all our gratitude and respect. I'm talking about the town hall/council types who are mostly useless or lazy or both.
I shall assume you are putting me in the 'not all' bracket. Unless you want a run down of my work history and output..... :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Life is about opinions and this is my opinion, and if you don't like what I post it say you know where the ignore button is.
FWIW Starmer is one of the biggest liars this country will ever see.
Obviously the biggest liar is Blair who sent innocent troops to their death in outdated equipment and caused 1.000's of deaths of innocent civilians. But that's another story.
I think Boris Johnson outflanks Blair by several miles. He’s been sacked for lying on a number of occasions….. including as Prime Minister.

but I’d be intrigued to know what you think Starmer has lied about. I’m not really expecting an answer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Boris Johnson outflanks Blair by several miles. He’s been sacked for lying on a number of occasions….. including as Prime Minister.

but I’d be intrigued to know what you think Starmer has lied about. I’m not really expecting an answer.
I think his bollocks has gone beyond the point where I want to read any more of it.

To paraphrase his own words, and using his own criteria, as applied to Starmer, he one of the biggest liars NSC has ever seen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was prompting you to offer your opinion on a particular topic, but you've just diverted onto something else. I'll try again:
you don't seem to like Labour's plan for renewable electricity generation: do you think that we shouldn't have electricity? if you think we should have electricity, which source would you prefer it to come from?
His arse?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Life is about opinions and this is my opinion, and if you don't like what I post it say you know where the ignore button is.
FWIW Starmer is one of the biggest liars this country will ever see.
Obviously the biggest liar is Blair who sent innocent troops to their death in outdated equipment and caused 1.000's of deaths of innocent civilians. But that's another story.
Finally you will have to go on ignore.

Off you pop.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I think his bollocks has gone beyond the point where I want to read any more of it.

To paraphrase his own words, and using his own criteria, as applied to Starmer, he one of the biggest liars NSC has ever seen.
Crikey you love having a go don't you, have a pop at someone and then put them on ignore. Childish in the extreme, even worse that you post what you have done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Labour showing just how bad and clueless they are just like the people that voted for them. They are going from bad to worse but all of us clever ones knew that.
Well done.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
It isn’t settled yet. The “Union” Will be putting it to the membership, who could still reject it.
are you aware that, in real terms, channel 4 reckoned that junior doctor’s pay had fallen by 26% since 2008/09? People who are bearing enormous responsibility under great pressure and have people’s lives in their hands are, in extremis, having to go to food banks. And you would seem to want to perpetuate that.
Having to go to a food bank on a wage structure that starts at over £32k is not being underpaid. It’s poor budgeting. This past 18 months is the first time in my career I’ve earned more than that, my previous roles starting wage was actually £33k ironically. I supported my other half on statutory maternity pay for a year on that wage, whilst paying rent, bills at the height of inflation, a new born baby, and we got through. So I won’t have that £32k is not a living wage. Especially not in a career that after a few years you can be earning £60k+

Last edited:
Reactions: abc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having to go to a food bank on a wage structure that starts at over £32k is not being unpaid. It’s poor budgeting. This past 18 months is the first time in my career I’ve earned more than that, my previous roles starting wage was actually £33k ironically. I supported my other half on statutory maternity pay for a year on that wage, whilst paying rent, bills at the height of inflation, a new born baby, and we got through. So I won’t have that £32k is not a living wage. Especially not in a career that after a few years you can be earning £60k+
It depends where you live, as to how much rent you have to pay, plus council tax. Inner cities need doctors as much as suburban towns.
It doesn’t rise automatically after a few years to £60K.
Edit to add paying back their student loans as well.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Having to go to a food bank on a wage structure that starts at over £32k is not being unpaid. It’s poor budgeting. This past 18 months is the first time in my career I’ve earned more than that, my previous roles starting wage was actually £33k ironically. I supported my other half on statutory maternity pay for a year on that wage, whilst paying rent, bills at the height of inflation, a new born baby, and we got through. So I won’t have that £32k is not a living wage. Especially not in a career that after a few years you can be earning £60k+
How much is your rent then? 2 bed flat on Brighton low end circa £1200 pm +CT and Bills and you are looking at £1700pm without even trying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here