Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh dear, thought you were better than that.

You honestly thing Starmer didn't know what was coming and sign that off?
It was a joke! You know, a literal joke. POTG laughed and took it for what it was.

And no, I’m no better than anyone else.

Reactions: abc

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Reeves has just shown that with the HUGE Public Sector wage rises.

After all, she wants those 6 million votes again.

My wife works for the NHS thank you.

I should have worded my post better - the rise should not be across the board.
Again - please don't lump all public sector workers together.

Around 3.75 million work for central government (NHS etc).

The rest of the 6 million are in local government. As far as I am aware local government staff have been offered a flat £1,290 - which equates to 2.5% at the higher (below director) pay scales and 5.5% at the very lowest (almost minimum wage) scales.

So, it is by no means 'across the board'.

Thanks.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
it's not Britans problem, pretty common for countries to get most their revenue from workers because they are geographically fixed and earnings are relatively consistent. focusing taxation on profits is fine when there are profits, in bad years, recessions, company just run badly, those profits disappear and with it government revenue.

other good source of revenue is payroll taxes, employers NI, which cant really be avoided less variable than profits, and those global companies pay lots of here.

And you don’t see an issue with tax take being reliant on increasing wages to grow?

If we’re not serious about taxing larger businesses, then why not change their tax status to exempt? It might save us some money. We can shrink HMRC and stop paying these companies financially engineered rebates.

I have a problem with a tax regime that insists on individuals, sole traders and smaller businesses paying their share, but waves through multinational corporations that will defend themselves against our tax authorities best efforts.

Too many businesses are setting themselves up deliberately to minimize/completely negate their tax obligations. Do Starbucks need to lease their own IP (intellectual property) from their Netherlands operation at an inflated fee? Or is this purely so the cost appears on their books and can therefore be used to reduce their UK tax liability? We are allowing some breathtaking levels of silly buggers to be played, and we seem remarkably indifferent to being robbed for a skint country.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The 'triple lock' is still a commitment, for how long we'll see of course. The Bus Pass aligns with other policies e.g. public transport, so hopefully safe. However it wouldn't be surprising if the overall trend is to prioritise younger generations. You always reward your voter base after all.
Like when the Conservatives protect pensioners (2/3 of them usually vote Tory) with the triple lock, and shower big business and the rich with tax cuts and multi-billion pound contracts, while imposing cuts on the public sector, students, and welfare claimants who are much less likely to vote Tory?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Next time you're in hospital, or one of your family members are, and the staff are doing everything possible in their power to save them or make you or them better, having done a huge long shift under the most testing conditions many people will never encounter due to chronic under funding for years, don't forget to mention to them that you don't think they should have got that payrise!
Yeah, he should say "Listen you greedy, over-paid, gold-plated, public-sector layabouts, I don't want your sort treating me, so keep your cash-filled hands off me and leave me to suffer."

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Reeves has just shown that with the HUGE Public Sector wage rises.

After all, she wants those 6 million votes again.
Ah, the old divide-and-rule eh, to turn workers against each other and encourage resentment?

Yet when some of us complain about the HUGE pay rises routinely awarded to corporate bosses and City bankers, we're criticised for promoting the 'politics of envy'.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If they were living in Burnley or Sunderland (with apologies to Burnley and Sunderland, but you know what I mean) they might be ok. If they are training in a hospital in London, where my daughter did, it might be a bit more difficult. And they would be working in an extremely pressured environment and quite likely in rubbish surroundings. And life is expensive.
Interesting point you make about location.

My niece trained and now works as a Midwife in a Hospital in the NE

Her housing costs are I'm sure much cheaper than here in Sussex.

Perhaps Salaries should reflect location?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Yeah, he should say "Listen you greedy, over-paid, gold-plated, public-sector layabouts, I don't want your sort treating me, so keep your cash-filled hands off me and leave me to suffer."

“I only wish to be treated by the proletariat. Find me somebody who once had a Saturday job in Boots, then depart.”

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ah, the old divide-and-rule eh, to turn workers against each other and encourage resentment?

Yet when some of us complain about the HUGE pay rises routinely awarded to corporate bosses and City bankers, we're criticised for promoting the 'politics of envy'.
Not at all - as I mentioned my wife works in the NHS - no resentment - just posting facts about votes to the Labour Party from Public Sector workers.

Agree 100% re corporate bosses and City bankers.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
And you don’t see an issue with tax take being reliant on increasing wages to grow?

If we’re not serious about taxing larger businesses, then why not change their tax status to exempt? It might save us some money. We can shrink HMRC and stop paying these companies financially engineered rebates.

I have a problem with a tax regime that insists on individuals, sole traders and smaller businesses paying their share, but waves through multinational corporations that will defend themselves against our tax authorities best efforts.

Too many businesses are setting themselves up deliberately to minimize/completely negate their tax obligations. Do Starbucks need to lease their own IP (intellectual property) from their Netherlands operation at an inflated fee? Or is this purely so the cost appears on their books and can therefore be used to reduce their UK tax liability? We are allowing some breathtaking levels of silly buggers to be played, and we seem remarkably indifferent to being robbed for a skint country.
This ^

Nicks

I think Boris Johnson outflanks Blair by several miles. He’s been sacked for lying on a number of occasions….. including as Prime Minister.

but I’d be intrigued to know what you think Starmer has lied about. I’m not really expecting an answer.
Johnson didn't send our troops into a war that was nothing to do with us at the time and cause thousands of innocent deaths.
Didn't Blair say there were Chemical weapons in Iraq etc ???????
Yes Johnson lied I can't disagree with that one but.
As for Starmer, you've seen on the clips here what he said about Winter Payments, so there is one big whopper for a starter and he is only a couple of weeks into the job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Johnson didn't send our troops into a war that was nothing to do with us at the time and cause thousands of innocent deaths.
As for Starmer, you've seen on the clips here what he said about Winter Payments, so there is one big whopper for a starter and he is only a couple of weeks into the job.
When the Tories backed Blair over 'the war' were you on the streets with your anarchist erstwhile mates, protesting?

I thought not.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not at all - as I mentioned my wife works in the NHS - no resentment - just posting facts about votes to the Labour Party from Public Sector workers.
But you're not posting facts. You said it's a high pay rise across the board for 6 million public sector workers. As I pointed out - it doesn't apply to local government staff, a sizeable chunk of this - who are getting, in general, a lot less. About current inflation rise for most of us.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

And to think some twat heckled him

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I will be honest and say I have never been a student of the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war. Apart from that, he was still a far, far better aprime Minister than Johnson.
Johnson and his government arguably killed thousands of people through his mismanagement of the COVID pandemic - as per the recent first report of the enquiry. He lied to the people and to everyone else about parties. He misled and lied to parliament. He was aiming to deceive the Queen over the prorogation of Parliament.
i would have no doubt that Starmer had no intention of changing the arrangements for the Winter Fuel payment…… until consideration of it was forced upon the government by the state of the finances the Tories left behind. Do I trust Starmer and co more that I do the three most recent Tory Prime Ministers and their governments? The answer to that is, I’m afraid, an emphatic yes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When the Tories backed Blair over 'the war' were you on the streets with your anarchist erstwhile mates, protesting?

I thought not.
To be fair, I think Nicks son was in the army at the time. I know he is ex Navy himself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, I think Nicks son was in the army at the time. I know he is ex Navy himself.
I can understand a parent whose kid is in the army not wanting them involved in combat.

But I'm not sure that explains why a Tory would oppose a war supported by the Tories. If you don't want your kid to face combat why let them join up? Especially if you, the parent had been in the Navy.

And then to blame Labour for evermore seems exquisitely one-eyed.

This has been done to death. The Americans (Colin Powell explained it) decided that Saddam thwarting Blix and his weapons inspections for ten years was unacceptable. And Blix's plan to stay on his gravy train and request another go at inspecting was unacceptable. Ten years and enough was enough.

Straw echoed the argument.

Blair agreed.

The Tories agreed.

Inventing 'WMD found' or whatever it was Blair claimed, was asinine. But irrelevant.

I don't accept that as justification for a relentless obsession about Blair and Labour. If you are a lifelong pacifist, fine. Not sure the navy employs pacifists though, does it?

(I tried to put the poster on ignore but may have pressed the wrong button. I'll have another go when I see another of his posts. Life is too short to waste on single issue obsessives).

Nicks

I will be honest and say I have never been a student of the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war. Apart from that, he was still a far, far better aprime Minister than Johnson.
Johnson and his government arguably killed thousands of people through his mismanagement of the COVID pandemic - as per the recent first report of the enquiry. He lied to the people and to everyone else about parties. He misled and lied to parliament. He was aiming to deceive the Queen over the prorogation of Parliament.
i would have no doubt that Starmer had no intention of changing the arrangements for the Winter Fuel payment…… until consideration of it was forced upon the government by the state of the finances the Tories left behind. Do I trust Starmer and co more that I do the three most recent Tory Prime Ministers and their governments? The answer to that is, I’m afraid, an emphatic yes.
Starmer is happy to pay more money to Ukraine , pay £117 Million to protect Muslim Communities in Britain than keep pensioners in his own country the chance to stay warm during the winter.
Says it all about the man in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here