Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus names the arrested Albion players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What I am not clear about, and in reality it is probably pointless in the circumstances, is has anyone been accused of anything or have they just been questioned and given police bail to return for further questioning regarding a reported offence?

This. I actually know a few of the ins and outs of this (obviously I won't divulge) and I am extremely confident nothing will come of this.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I really don't understand why people are having a go at the Argus here. It's massive local news, of course they're going to report it and name the players involved if they are 100% sure it's them. The facts are that these players have been arrested and bailed on suspicion of sexual assault, and that's exactly what the Argus has said. Nothing more.

As TLO and others have said, whether people accused of sex offences should have anonymity much like the alleged victims is another debate entirely. But the fact is they don't. Anyone saying that the Argus has in some way betrayed the club is wrong IMO. It's news and it needs reporting and we need a free press. If the Argus has got the names wrong they will be sued for libel and lose a lot of money. But I'm sure they are not wrong and are just reporting the facts of a case that will be of interest to a lot of people in Brighton. They've shown great courage in naming the players IMO.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This. The argus has become even more of a nasty little rag in the last few years but today's front page is pathetic. I hope anybody defending them has actually seen it or makes sure they do? Don't get me wrong, if they're guilty they can throw the book at them but the way the argus has chosen to do this shows them as the gutter scum they are

Well you certainly do need to buy the paper to get the names!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
As strange as it sounds, by naming the players the Argus are covering their back as every player not involved that fit the initial info (ie age) could have sued for defamation. Heck, we've only got two players at the club aged 24, so the other could easily have sued

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Rightly or wrongly, it's common practice for newspapers to publish the names of people even when they haven't been charged or more importantly convicted.

In a way, I'm glad the Argus published - at least the whispering will now stop. The last thing we need is the stupid super-injunction stuff that happened about a certain Man Utd player [as far as I'm aware the injunction is still in force so he still can't be named!]

It would be good [for ALL parties involved] if things just quietened down to allow the investigation to take place.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
It's not so much that the 5 have been named, as they could have been named within the article, but that the Argus has chosen to used a very large font so that the names are very visible. Regardless of whether they are charged, or innocent or guilty, mud sticks.

This :clap2:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
O....and is this work related..or a nice long holiday?...sorry to b off topic...but i find yur travel plans more interesting than tittle tattle....and mere speculation of events that people know very little about

Ski Season, so both.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I worked out yesterday who it was, just cross reference the dates of births of the players, whether they turned up in training and whether they were with the club in Jan. only the age 20 bracket brings up more names than have been accused.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rightly or wrongly, it's common practice for newspapers to publish the names of people even when they haven't been charged or more importantly convicted.

In a way, I'm glad the Argus published - at least the whispering will now stop. The last thing we need is the stupid super-injunction stuff that happened about a certain Man Utd player [as far as I'm aware the injunction is still in force so he still can't be named!]

It would be good [for ALL parties involved] if things just quietened down to allow the investigation to take place.

Summed up perfectly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well you certainly do need to buy the paper to get the names!

No, it's easy to see a scan of the front page by looking on Twitter. I wouldn't buy the paper because of the way it's been reported, not that they actually reported it.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I really don't understand why people are having a go at the Argus here. It's massive local news, of course they're going to report it and name the players involved if they are 100% sure it's them. The facts are that these players have been arrested and bailed on suspicion of sexual assault, and that's exactly what the Argus has said. Nothing more.

As TLO and others have said, whether people accused of sex offences should have anonymity much like the alleged victims is another debate entirely. But the fact is they don't. Anyone saying that the Argus has in some way betrayed the club is wrong IMO. It's news and it needs reporting and we need a free press. If the Argus has got the names wrong they will be sued for libel and lose a lot of money. But I'm sure they are not wrong and are just reporting the facts of a case that will be of interest to a lot of people in Brighton. They've shown great courage in naming the players IMO.
courage? ???:laugh:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For those interested, here is a link to the front page of the Argus this morning.

(Note: NSC is not providing this copy of the front page - it was uploaded by someone else and has been circulated on Twitter)

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Regarding the presentation, the headline size is standard Argus style.

The subhead naming the names, however, is sensationalist, designed for optimum impact.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

See below:

It's not so much that the 5 have been named, as they could have been named within the article, but that the Argus has chosen to used a very large font so that the names are very visible. Regardless of whether they are charged, or innocent or guilty, mud sticks.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Fully agree.

Is it possible that someone in the club WANTED the names leaked?

I would suggest that it is far, far less damaging to the squad for the 5 to be known, than for there to be a shadow of suspicion over every young player in the squad?

This

Can't remember people getting all high & mighty about the press when that Southampton player was accused of glassing someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here