Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus names the arrested Albion players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I think it was Ian Hislop who said this week at the levison enquiry something about the laws for the media are not enforced. They are not allowed to print names and photos of the accused, but they do, and nothing is done about it. As was the case with Joanne Yates landlord bloke. They need to be careful about what they say and what they imply - but the police or whoever governs them needs to get tougher and enforce the law..

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
What do you mean 'risk possible prosecution'?

Assuming the Argus' source was an official one - Sussex Police's Press Officer, for example - the Argus is within its rights to publish the names of the accused. I haven't read the report, so I don't what exactly has been said, but if they've stuck to the hard facts, I struggle to see what the issue is. If they had implied guilt (something that the Mirror and the Sun did with that case in Bristol last year, and they were found guilty of Contempt of Court), that's where problems start occurring for them, the accused and the case.

Whether the media should be allowed to publish the names of the accused ahead of any prosecution and conviction (i.e. calling for the accused to have a right to anonymity until conviction) is another debate entirely.

When does it become invasion of privacy?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What do you mean 'risk possible prosecution'?

Assuming the Argus' source was an official one - Sussex Police's Press Officer, for example - the Argus is within its rights to publish the names of the accused. I haven't read the report, so I don't what exactly has been said, but if they've stuck to the hard facts, I struggle to see what the issue is. If they had implied guilt (something that the Mirror and the Sun did with that case in Bristol last year, and they were found guilty of Contempt of Court), that's where problems start occurring for them, the accused and the case.

Whether the media should be allowed to publish the names of the accused ahead of any prosecution and conviction (i.e. calling for the accused to have a right to anonymity until conviction) is another debate entirely.

I was referring to the second stickie.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
certainly not buying the shit paper just to find out who's been accused. i'd rather not even know if thats how i have to find out FFS!

It's in big bold letters on the front page, it's also all over Twitter.

D

Deleted member 18477

That is up to you - but the clue is in the name. Newspaper.

its hardly news is it. who gives a shit whos been accused. its about the justice at the end of the day. until the case is closed no one really needs to know the names. the argus can f*** off! shit paper, shit journalists, shit 'news'!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I hope the club cut all ties with the Argus now, I also will no longer buy this paper, maybe a sports NSC paper ???,

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
reading twitter rumours (which I know is bad) I have come acorss 7 names so far, cant buy the blooming argus at Gatwick, so I am feeling frustrated currently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not so much that the 5 have been named, as they could have been named within the article, but that the Argus has chosen to used a very large font so that the names are very visible. Regardless of whether they are charged, or innocent or guilty, mud sticks.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I hope the club cut all ties with the Argus now, I also will no longer buy this paper, maybe a sports NSC paper ???,

I do actually get most of my news / information now via NSC, so many people cover all the worlds events and put links to everything...its like a free paper anyway....good on you NSC members :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
reading twitter rumours (which I know is bad) I have come acorss 7 names so far, cant buy the blooming argus at Gatwick, so I am feeling frustrated currently.

Search the stream of tweets sent to @northstandchat - there are copies of the front page of the Argus there.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The Argus is on its knees , sales have plummeted in recent years, staff have been cut to the bone and journalists laid off. They saw an opprtunity to sell a shit load of papers and took it. I don actually think they are in the wrong, per se, but I strongly believe that people who have been " accused " of a crime like this should be given anonimity until the outcome of a trial. That is whats wrong.

I agree.......as the police do everything in their power not to identify the alledged "victim", they should do the same for the "accused"......not as easy i guess when its higher profile people. There is also the possibility that The Argus ran this by the club and the club were ok with them printing the names.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

If you are frustrated you are better off buying a copy of Razzle rather than The Argus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here