Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus names the arrested Albion players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Argus is on its knees , sales have plummeted in recent years, staff have been cut to the bone and journalists laid off. They saw an opprtunity to sell a shit load of papers and took it. I don actually think they are in the wrong, per se, but I strongly believe that people who have been " accused " of a crime like this should be given anonimity until the outcome of a trial. That is whats wrong.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Just coz its our club and we cant believe its out little angels doing this, where normally its the big boys. well it happens it gets printed get over it and yourselves.

You're usually pretty funny with your wind ups. Not this time.

LOTS of people have said LOTS of times that the names of players shouldnt be printed until they are proven guilty. Of COURSE we are going to be more interested in it now because it's our players. Don't be a berk. Concentrate on telling everyone how important PALACE is.

PS - I hope you enjoyed my HILARIOUS use of capitals for emphasis.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What part of - don't talk about it yet - don't you understand!!!!! Lololol

I think we are in danger of taking this "don't mention the war" business just a little too far if we are even jumping on someone for asking where the media have reported it.

D

Deleted member 22389

I had a glance last night and don't think I'll bother again for a while. Rivalry and banter are fine, but quite a few Palace types appear to have some quite serious personal issues to deal with. Oh well, bring it on. If that's their standard, let's get it out in the open on the 31st and see what their club's management chooses to do about it. It will all be on camera.

Nothing I saw really derails the legal process, to answer your question. It just makes some Palace fans look like they're still on the waiting list for civilisation.

Your telling me. Some of the insults on there yesterday are a complete and utter disgrace. Police need to go over to this board and send a warning shot. These bastards are doing what they can to ruin our club. Idiots of the highest order.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Printing 6 names in big bold text on the front page is a very poor reporting technique. It's the kinda thing you'd expect to see in a school paper not a local rag.

Sent from my phone cause I can

Indeed, totally agree with you. From what it looks like, a lot of people on here haven't seen the actual front page of the paper, and have jumped to the conclusion that the Argus has named the players, as in said they have committed the crime.

Also in big letters is ALBION STARS ACCUSED OF SEX ASSUALT

Doesn't say they have actually committed the crime

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you'll find the difference is the Argus editor has decided to risk possible prosecution - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], understandably, doesn't want to take the risk. Don't know about you but I wouldn't take that risk either for the sake of a chat forum.

What do you mean 'risk possible prosecution'?

Assuming the Argus' source was an official one - Sussex Police's Press Officer, for example - the Argus is within its rights to publish the names of the accused. I haven't read the report, so I don't what exactly has been said, but if they've stuck to the hard facts, I struggle to see what the issue is. If they had implied guilt (something that the Mirror and the Sun did with that case in Bristol last year, and they were found guilty of Contempt of Court), that's where problems start occurring for them, the accused and the case.

Whether the media should be allowed to publish the names of the accused ahead of any prosecution and conviction (i.e. calling for the accused to have a right to anonymity until conviction) is another debate entirely.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
It's a newspaper. It's going to publish the names as soon as it legally can. As to whether it should be allowed to in the cases like this - take it up with your MP, don't blame the Argus for doing it's job.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Printing 6 names in big bold text on the front page is a very poor reporting technique. It's the kinda thing you'd expect to see in a school paper not a local rag.

Sent from my phone cause I can

That's my beef ... it's deliberately alarmist to get people to buy it ... there's no substance to anything just a way to sell a few copies.

It's typical trash journalism ... I got no issue with the reporting of the incident and even the naming of the players but sensationalising it like this is presenting as "naming and shaming" and in that respect I've got no time for it.

In response to TMLS It's not about freedom of speech it's about presenting facts in a balanced way. As for Naylor I know he didn't write it but I can't believe he wasn't consulted or "prepped"

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is a difficult one. I'm not sure I would have printed the names.

The front page will have had to be signed off by the editor and chief sub editor (subbing is now done from Southampton but dont know if it covers front page).

However, the paper would argue that it is news, it is in the public interest and that from the details released yesterday by the police and what was being quoted on social media sites, that the names were very clearly identifiable.

I'm sure that in days gone by, this would have been run by a lawyer before publishing. I would hope it has been now.

This takes us to how the club may react. I'm sure they're not happy, From fairly close experience of both sides of a case like this I can understand that. However I would strongly counsel against a backlash against the paper. At the end of the day they havnt created this story, they are reporting it and they have an agenda just as the club has.

Good crisis comms management is needed here, sticking to their legal advice and trying to maintain a working relationship with the local media in very difficult times.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The article says they have been accused...not that they are guilty. the police have obviously released the names so the Argus was always going to make a big headline of it to sell papers......thats what papers do.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I have no issue with them printing the names. The fashion in which it has be done, however, seems slightly out of line to me.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I strongly believe that people who have been " accused " of a crime like this should be given anonimity until the outcome of a trial. That is whats wrong.

Exactly. I'd even go further and say that I don't understand why this story has been announced at all, by anyone. 6 guys have been called in for questioning about a crime that had not previously been in the news. It's not as if tehre had been a huge public clamour for someone to be brought to justice for this, and we needed to know progress was being made.

I just don't understand why anyone needs to have their name dragged through the mud at this stage. The claims could be completely baseless, and therefore those guys could have been anyone of us. That's where we are at the moment, so where was the need to announce 6 players have been called in for questioning? Where did that get announced from, the police?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Just coz its our club and we cant believe its out little angels doing this, where normally its the big boys. well it happens it gets printed get over it and yourselves.

Nobody has said they are innocent but until proven otherwise they deserve better than to have their names printed in bold on the front cover of a newspaper under a sensationalist headline.

There is a line of decency especially when accusations of this nature are being made. Not suggesting we should be like north Korea just want responsible and sensible journalism and the argus have crossed that line IMO

Perhaps your moral standards are different to others so have a think before telling everyone to f*** off

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The Argus is on its knees , sales have plummeted in recent years, staff have been cut to the bone and journalists laid off. They saw an opprtunity to sell a shit load of papers and took it. I don actually think they are in the wrong, per se, but I strongly believe that people who have been " accused " of a crime like this should be given anonimity until the outcome of a trial. That is whats wrong.

Absolutely agree Unc, was just going to post something similar myself. Mud sticks and naming ANYONE not just players until anything is proven is horrible.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If I thought about it for a few minutes I could probably come up with a semi accurate list myself but I've chosen not to. Anyone else disappointed in the Argus? I doubt Gus will be giving Naylor anything juicy for a while.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was bound to happen and in a way is justified to stop others being accused.

Terrible time for the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here