Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus names the arrested Albion players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

English & European
I worked out yesterday who it was, just cross reference the dates of births of the players, whether they turned up in training and whether they were with the club in Jan. only the age 20 bracket brings up more names than have been accused.
Same here, and I even managed to get one of them right, although I didn't know who turned up at training.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Disgraceful journalism from the local paper - to name 5 people who have been charged with nothing and definitely not been found guilty of anything is gutter journalism (that is my view no matter what the crime is or the people involved). If they are found guilty then clearly name them but if/until that happens what is the point in naming people?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Disgraceful journalism from the local paper - to name 5 people who have been charged with nothing and definitely not been found guilty of anything is gutter journalism (that is my view no matter what the crime is or the people involved). If they are found guilty then clearly name them but if/until that happens what is the point in naming people?

I'm glad they've been named at this point because I hear a number of names that weren't true and it wasn't fair on them, but the way it has been reported :nono:

Another paper on the do not buy list.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't have a problem with the Argus naming the players, just the sensationalist manner of the front page. It really is gutter journalism.

You'd have preferred a discreet announcement on an inside page? If they knew they had the names right - I had five of the six but would have been wrong about one - then editorially it's a no-brainer: as has been said, it's a major, major local news story and to do otherwise would have been a strange decision.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Why is it disgraceful journalism?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ladies and Gentlemen, if someone posts something inappropriate about the alleged assault can you please report it to Mod Towers and we will do our best to deal with it.

However if all you do is QUOTE the relevant post it makes life a lot harder, as I have just had to delete four posts, the original and the three that quoted it.

Thank you

EP

Ah, I was just about to quote him!

But he did prove exactly why it's so risky to discuss this, or even to name players in a newspaper. Even if he was fishing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What is very funny about it, is the Argus has actually been a bit stupid, because you don't need to buy it to find out. Just look at the pile, the names are so big. If they wanted to boost sales they should have put the names in the inside.

Just twatty journalism in my view.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
On a related point I see the arsegas is still not allowing comments and I doubt Naylor will be doing his usual live chat next Tuesday....................................... after reading the last 9 pages it's probably just as well :)

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I can fully understand why those behind NSC wish to protect themselves and the site, but stop having a pop at the Argus for reporting what they believe to be fact.

This issue is going to go on for many months, is anyone really saying that the national press can report who the players are but the local press can't?

TB

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed, totally agree with you. From what it looks like, a lot of people on here haven't seen the actual front page of the paper, and have jumped to the conclusion that the Argus has named the players, as in said they have committed the crime.

Also in big letters is ALBION STARS ACCUSED OF SEX ASSUALT

Doesn't say they have actually committed the crime

Yes but you know people are THICK. I bet money I will get at least 5 people in the next week say to me "Have you heard, 5 players from that team you support sexually assaulted some woman".

VERY poor from the Argus. Watch their readership go from tiny to nonexistent.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Would love to know what Gus thinks about all of this. His next press conference could be interesting. Suspect he has been told not to discuss it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here