The Argus names the arrested Albion players

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ladies and Gentlemen, if someone posts something inappropriate about the alleged assault can you please report it to Mod Towers and we will do our best to deal with it.

However if all you do is QUOTE the relevant post it makes life a lot harder, as I have just had to delete four posts, the original and the three that quoted it.

Thank you

EP

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In my opinion, no one should be named for any allegation of a crime until the person has been found (or pleaded) guilty.

But I bet their is not one person on here who couldn't wait to hear the names divulged. I include myself in that.

We are as guilty as the rags/media that print this.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
my point too - if you were one of the people wrongly named in social media would you want there to be some clarification that you are not involved sooner rather than later? From what I have seen there are at least two people in that situation and they are probably mightily relieved this morning to have been "cleared".

Unfortunately the printed press is no longer the focus for news that it once was but in this instance there is some positive mitigation for the action they have taken. I also object to the way they have sensationalised the headline but that is probably in large part because I am an Albion fan and I am hurting right now - in a trash society trash has always happened.

What I am not clear about, and in reality it is probably pointless in the circumstances, is has anyone been accused of anything or have they just been questioned and given police bail to return for further questioning regarding a reported offence?

Indeed, as I mentioned in a previous post, I have personal experience from both sides of similar cases and until the law is changed to give full anonymity to both the accused and victims, then the club and papers have a very fine line to tread. In fact the advent of social media makes the anonymity to be potentially a bad thing as people who arent involved will end up being accused just like the jemima khan/jeremy clarkson business last year.

We have to accept that it is newsworthy and certainly of interest to many people. And as you say, there were quite a few accusations flying round yesterday of people who it would now seem were not involved.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
The argus and all media have to remember inocent until proven guilty ,and so do we for our players and thier families also for the girl and her family what a shit mess all round .

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What I am not clear about, and in reality it is probably pointless in the circumstances, is has anyone been accused of anything or have they just been questioned and given police bail to return for further questioning regarding a reported offence?

I suspect nobody is aware of that except those directly involved. This is exactly why papers shouldn't be allowed to print stuff like this. They haven't even been charged with anything yet!

All it does is make people think the absolute worst. Quite a broad range of actions can result in a sexual assualt charge, some incredibly serious and some less so. Until we know details the less speculation the better

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't understand why people are having a go at the Argus here. It's massive local news, of course they're going to report it and name the players involved if they are 100% sure it's them. The facts are that these players have been arrested and bailed on suspicion of sexual assault, and that's exactly what the Argus has said. Nothing more.

As TLO and others have said, whether people accused of sex offences should have anonymity much like the alleged victims is another debate entirely. But the fact is they don't. Anyone saying that the Argus has in some way betrayed the club is wrong IMO. It's news and it needs reporting and we need a free press. If the Argus has got the names wrong they will be sued for libel and lose a lot of money. But I'm sure they are not wrong and are just reporting the facts of a case that will be of interest to a lot of people in Brighton. They've shown great courage in naming the players IMO.

I don't have a problem with the Argus naming the players, just the sensationalist manner of the front page. It really is gutter journalism.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pms are private, so what you say will be between you and the person you PM.

Cheers Tony - As long as know mods go through peoples PMs they're private yeh - like I think one of them did to me once! But i'll leave it there - they know who they are.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Yes, because they knew they'd get loads of abuse from people who feel the Argus should be an unofficial mouthpiece for BHAFC and never dare criticise anything said or done by the club or its employees.

As strange as it sounds, by naming the players the Argus are covering their back as every player not involved that fit the initial info (ie age) could have sued for defamation. Heck, we've only got two players at the club aged 24, so the other could easily have sued

Very good point. I thought I had the names right, and I did have five, but not six.

See below:

Fair point, but how they report the information is up to the them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In my opinion, no one should be named for any allegation of a crime until the person has been found (or pleaded) guilty.

But I bet their is not one person on here who couldn't wait to hear the names divulged. I include myself in that.

sorry but don't include me in that..i don't know...havent looked...someone tells me i can't do anything about it...but i am not actively going to look for it...i am here to follow a sort of debate and hustys travel plans

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Exactly - There's a ludicrous amount of sanctimony from people who have probably spent the last 24 hours frenetically scouring the web for the names...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Cheers Tony - As long as know mods go through peoples PMs they're private yeh - like I think one of them did to me once! But i'll leave it there - they know who they are.

I can assure you we can't see the contents of any PMs, the best I can do is tell you how many PMs you have in your "IN" box your safe i can assure you :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if you were "the other 24 year old" or one of "the other 19 year olds" whose names appeared on fans' forums yesterday would you be feeling relieved or aggrieved this morning?

It's not the reporting but the manner of the reporting that should hurt people I think

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can't believe that front cover, how can they display the names so boldly like that.

That's sick. They haven't even been charged.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's a horrible situation for everyone involved. But I'm pleased that the names have been confirmed. Those not involved are safe in the knowledge that some keyboard warrior is not libelling them, those named were having to deal with it any way. Probably the best thing for the club at this stage.

As for the alleged events? In most cases like this (involving footballers and young ladies) the accusations are dropped. I'm very comfortable assuming these men are innocent unless it is proved otherwise in court.

Time to move on. Let's focus all this energy on to Peterborough and take them apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here