Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You Tony Blair

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I live in Hastings.

Unemployment is half what it was in '97 here and we are seeing hundreds of millions of pounds in regeneration money coming into the town.

The local MP owes his job to Blair, as he has said publically many times and to me on the phone this morning.

It was not ALL bad.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Re: Thank You Tony Blair

REDLAND said:
I reckon this is the most ridiculous post I've ever read on ANY forum

what a pillock

I dunno, the one by "Norman Baker suck my lozenge" is the definetley the thickest thing i've ever heard. BUt i believe it was created by spit and thumbless fists striking a keyboard so it could all be a typo

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Richie Morris said:
I live in Hastings.

Unemployment is half what it was in '97 here and we are seeing hundreds of millions of pounds in regeneration money coming into the town.

The local MP owes his job to Blair, as he has said publically many times and to me on the phone this morning.

It was not ALL bad.

you're not allowed a balanced opinion, he's pure evil. Not like that lovely Maggie Thatcher, now she was a war criminal you could respect

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Richie Morris said:
I live in Hastings.

It was not ALL bad.

I live in central West Sussex, predominantly Conservative, very wealthy, shit NHS, poor education facilities , shit public services, no Police, broke councils, bugger all investment, plenty of "deprived" areas.

Why not millions of £ into Crawley, Worthing, Horsham Brighton, Chichester, also a bit further afield, Farnborough, Guildford, Portsmouth? All places with piss poor NHS facilities, poorly achieving schools, and deprived localities. All areas where an enormous amount of wealth is generated through taxes, but the government sees fit to take the money rasied away.

All the regeneration money coming into areas that can't raise it themselves is coming from elswhere. And some of those elsewheres really need the money themselves.

I'm all for regeneration, investment etc, but not at the expense of other areas. Areas which raise a lot of money through taxes, but don't get the oppertunity to spend it.

Sometimes it seems that the areas that get the money, the new hospitals, the new schools, the regeneration funding, are benefitting from the fact that they are Labour wards. Don't get me wrong and don't jump down my throat, but that is how it seems.

For me, I pay a huge amount of tax, huge amount of council tax, and we get;

*No Police, ever, in our area.
*We have increasing rates of, already high burglaries.
*Our local NHS Trust and Hospital facilities rate amongst the worst in the UK.
*Our local NHS Health Centre opperates one of those systems that Blair promised to stop, you know, about not being able to book an appointment more than 24 hours in advance, to keep waiting lists down.
*The main local secondary school is right near the bottom of all those league tables.

And we can thank Blair for that, before his Labour party came into power, these situations did not exist. We had a 2 Police Stations locally (both closed now), we had good NHS Trusts, now we have umpteen disjointed PCTs and no NHS Dentists, The local schools were amongst the best in the South.

So you have to understand Richie, it's not all good for everyone, and it is pretty poor for a lot of us. I'm sure he has done some good things, but many are disillusioned now, and his legacy will not be a good one.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure Horsham, Chichester and Guildford need millions of pounds in the same way places like Hastings do.

Having lived in Horsham most of my life I can safely say it is a MILLION times better than the likes of Hastings and Hull.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think their schools perform ok, in fact my old school, Forest Boys, which is traditionally not a great peformer, was among the most improved in ENGLAND this year and the streets of Horsham are hardly crime ridden.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dick Knights Mumm said:
I don't think Horsham needs massive investment - wasn't it recently nominated as the best place to live in the country.

Second best place.

I cannot see anyone having a valid argument as to why New Labour is bad for giving money to places like Hastings instead of towns like Horsham.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
OK, I'll give you the schools in Horsham itself*. Now tell me how great the NHS Services are in the Horsham Area. and the Police.

* schools elswhere in the Horsham District are poor, really poor.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Superphil said:
OK, I'll give you the schools in Horsham itself*. Now tell me how great the NHS Services are in the Horsham Area. and the Police.

* schools elswhere in the Horsham District are poor, really poor.

Where?

The Weald is the only poor school I can think of in the area.

Police are hardly over-stretched in Horsham.

The hospital though is a major issue for that whole area.

Also, if you think schools in Horsham are bad you clearly have not been to Hastings lately...

Last edited:

Superphil said:
I live in central West Sussex, predominantly Conservative, very wealthy, shit NHS, poor education facilities , shit public services, no Police, broke councils, bugger all investment, plenty of "deprived" areas.

Why not millions of £ into Crawley, Worthing, Horsham Brighton, Chichester, also a bit further afield, Farnborough, Guildford, Portsmouth? All places with piss poor NHS facilities, poorly achieving schools, and deprived localities. All areas where an enormous amount of wealth is generated through taxes, but the government sees fit to take the money rasied away.

All the regeneration money coming into areas that can't raise it themselves is coming from elswhere. And some of those elsewheres really need the money themselves.

I'm all for regeneration, investment etc, but not at the expense of other areas. Areas which raise a lot of money through taxes, but don't get the oppertunity to spend it.

Sometimes it seems that the areas that get the money, the new hospitals, the new schools, the regeneration funding, are benefitting from the fact that they are Labour wards. Don't get me wrong and don't jump down my throat, but that is how it seems.

For me, I pay a huge amount of tax, huge amount of council tax, and we get;

*No Police, ever, in our area.
*We have increasing rates of, already high burglaries.
*Our local NHS Trust and Hospital facilities rate amongst the worst in the UK.
*Our local NHS Health Centre opperates one of those systems that Blair promised to stop, you know, about not being able to book an appointment more than 24 hours in advance, to keep waiting lists down.
*The main local secondary school is right near the bottom of all those league tables.

And we can thank Blair for that, before his Labour party came into power, these situations did not exist. We had a 2 Police Stations locally (both closed now), we had good NHS Trusts, now we have umpteen disjointed PCTs and no NHS Dentists, The local schools were amongst the best in the South.

So you have to understand Richie, it's not all good for everyone, and it is pretty poor for a lot of us. I'm sure he has done some good things, but many are disillusioned now, and his legacy will not be a good one.

UNFORTUNATELY the money in terms of new facilities does not come into the Labour or shall we say the most deprived areas.
Research for the Government's Department of Communities displayed that the majority of Government investment (except housing) was allocated to outside of the 10% most deprived wards.

If we remember the discussions of Barking and Dagenham and the BNP, one of the reasons why the long labour voting residents got so pissed of with Labour, was that they lived in a shit hole (and it really is - there is nothing like it in Sussex) in 1945. They voted labour and labour and its still a shit hole. Public facilities, hospitals, services are crap.

if you go to France, Italy etc the party in power will look after its interests - i.e its voters. Whilst I do not agree with this approach, it galls me that if you go outside London, middle England has the best doctors, hospitals, facilities.

Whilst I will not disagree that most parts of the UK will have its deprived areas. The intensity of deprivation in an area such has Hackney - my borough - can only be understood if you live here. There is nothing like it in Brighton, Sussex or to be honest in the rest of the UK.

We still have 1 in 10 unemployed, half the people do not work. Estates like Mouscombe, Whitehawk would disappear in the high rise jungle, that covers the whole of South Hackney and continues into neighbouring Islington and Tower Hamlets.

10 years ago these areas were even worst - they were no go areas.

I believe the Labour Party pander to much to the interests of middle England, it needed to do more to create a balance society.

The recent Unesco? study that highlighted that Britain did so badly on so many indicators is a failing of all political parties in this Country.

To me Blair has improved Britain but I feel let down that so much more could have and should have been achieved.

I am not looking forward to Brown, to him all policies, revolve around money and cost benefits. His budgets and initiatives to support the environment have been pathetic. Policies to deliver nothing and appease big business.

Personally I hope Cameron can shake Labour and Brown up a bit more, I have been a Labour, then red/green voter for all of my voting years, nearly 30 years now. And I have never been so disillusioned and that's why New Labour has let us all down.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
blair_noel.jpg

He helped make Britain a GREAT place to live again.

Thanks Tony.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Pigsy said:
So if you don't test teachers from their classes performance, or by observing them over a sensible period of time, how would you?

By being observed, both by the management within a school and then by OFSTED inspectors. Exactly what happens now.

If you gave teachers complete freedom over how they run their classes then maybe it would be fair to judge them on how their classes are performing but so much of what they do is set out by Government. If you wanted to take that approach you would also have to give schools the complete authority to kick out kids that were in any way disruptive.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The Weald and Steyning Grammar School are two of the largest schools in the area, and they are both poor.

Police, hardly stretched? There are no Police, we have burglaries around here all the time, the police simply don't have any resources to investigate or find the culprits. If you get robbed here, you get told to put new locks on, and call your insurance company. Many times the police don't even visit the scene, they just tell you "tough luck" over the phone. Our 2 local police stations have been closed in the past 10 years, all during a period when crime has been increasing. The last time I had to call the Police out when I was being robbed, they came from Basingstoke, THAT IS 47 miles from where I live, It took over an hour for them to arrive by which time I had scared the theives off.

So, to health, well, Horsham, Crawley, Worthing, Chichester, all of them amongst the worst performing, most broke, NHS organisations in the whole UK. How can this be? These regions are hugly wealthy, why should we suffer the worst healthcare?

I agree that Hastings, Hull and other places are not good, but why does that mean that other areas have to be deprived? Surely the government, with good leadership, should distribute wealth evenly throughout the country they are running [ruining].

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here