Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You Tony Blair

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hastings has the worst crime in Sussex for almost every category, bar I think Sexual Crimes.

It needs the money more than almost anywhere else on the South Coast.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Wanderer said:
Although I agree with your first carefully crafted statement, it's a bit harsh to condemn Gordy Boy before he has even got the job !!

As I personally pay in excess of £50k a year in income tax and my company (of which I am a Director / Shareholder) pays in the region of £400k annually in corporation tax, I feel my carefully crafted statement relating to "Gordy Boy" is quite justified! And don't get me started on Ken Livingstone whose "Congestion Charge" is costing us £100k a year for taking our vans into London.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As far as I can work out both Weald and SGS rank at best around 50-60% measured statistics, nowhere near the top, in fact in most cases about halfway down the list. When I was at school they claimed to be in the top 10% in the country (although the measures were not as they are now).

I am not a parent, and don't have to make choices about kids schooling, but if I were, and I read the "league tables" I would choose elswhere to send my kids as these schools do not seem to be good enough now. This is a view shared by friends of mine with kids.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Weald is also notorious for having a drugs problem although having been a pupil at Forest Boys and knowing people who went to the Weald I would say Forest was far worse for fighting, bad behaviour and drugs.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
SGS is one of the best performing schools in West Sussex - which usually has a waiting list. I don't look too closely at the tables - but it had a good examination record. The drawback is sport - the school simply appears not to be interested.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
This would seem to suggest different. Gets a Good rating from Ofsted

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/pd...ileName=\\school\\126\\s5_126092_20061121.pdf

It's a fair point, it makes you realise how tough it is for parents to choose a school for their kids, if you read all the tables that are published, both Weald and Steyning do not look that good, but the ofsted report is much more encouraging. Perhaps my initial opinion of schools in this area was formed by reading the reports published by the press. Perhaps ofsted should think about publishing a league table based on its findings.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Superphil said:
It's a fair point, it makes you realise how tough it is for parents to choose a school for their kids, if you read all the tables that are published, both Weald and Steyning do not look that good, but the ofsted report is much more encouraging. Perhaps my initial opinion of schools in this area was formed by reading the reports published by the press. Perhaps ofsted should think about publishing a league table based on its findings.

Not really that tough. I found that report in about 10 seconds. You'll probably find that all the top schools in the league table are all selective. Selective schools are always going to do better than non selective.

The Antikythera Mechanism said:
As I personally pay in excess of £50k a year in income tax and my company (of which I am a Director / Shareholder) pays in the region of £400k annually in corporation tax, I feel my carefully crafted statement relating to "Gordy Boy" is quite justified! And don't get me started on Ken Livingstone whose "Congestion Charge" is costing us £100k a year for taking our vans into London.

But we now have roads that are less congested, buses move as they should quickly, and reliably, bus numbers are going up - the only place in the UK.

Thanks for the £100,000 subsidy, I will appreciate that as I catch the 277 tonight.

LC

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
He added: "I ask you to accept one thing: hand on heart, I did what I thought was right."
Blair today.................

He said he would leave Downing Street on June 27 after a new leader has been chosen.

"Ten years - I think that's long enough for me but also for the country," he said.

Referring to Iraq, he said: "I may have been wrong, that's your call.

"Believe one thing: if nothing else, I did what I thought was right for our country."

Christ thats very nearly an apology for Iraq.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really that tough. I found that report in about 10 seconds. You'll probably find that all the top schools in the league table are all selective. Selective schools are always going to do better than non selective.
Me too. The first thing I did after reading Phil's Weald/Steyning rant was go straight to the ofsted site. And what do you know, he's talking bollocks. :p

[
How much has this war cost 2bn plus? All that money could have been spent on, well write out your wish list? 20 hospitals? Or less tax?

LC

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

You can find that report in 10 seconds, but would you just take their word for it? A government body.

More likely you will read their reports and compare with the tables that are published by other organisations, including the press The Times, Guardian, Telegraph etc. And then it becomes really tough.

And in those tables those 2 schools do not appear to be so great.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
H block said:

Referring to Iraq, he said: "I may have been wrong, that's your call.

"Believe one thing: if nothing else, I did what I thought was right for our country."

Christ thats very nearly an apology for Iraq.

The BNP truly believe that kicking immigrants out of the UK is in the country's bestinterests. Doesn't make it right necessarily.

And to achieve what you believe is right by doing something illegally is just wrong. This is a democracy, supposedly.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Buzzer said:
The BNP truly believe that kicking immigrants out of the UK is in the country's bestinterests. Doesn't make it right necessarily.

And to achieve what you believe is right by doing something illegally is just wrong. This is a democracy, supposedly.

Yes it is and Blair got cross-party support for that war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here