Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You Tony Blair

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Simster said:
The same goes for the Weald:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/pd...ileName=\\school\\126\\s5_126068_20060302.pdf

Across all categories, the grades are 1 (oustanding) or 2 (good).

Your argument is falling apart from where I'm sitting, Phil.

I'm not really having an arguement Simster, I agree that the ofsted reports are positive about both schools. My thoughts were based on a published league table I looked at, which did not look so good. Now I am as confused as I guess parents can be at times. I know I wouldn't just take ofsteds word for it, I'd ask around too, and read all the published tables, then make my decision. So far today I have decided not to have kids.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Slightly changing the latest posts on this thread.........if Gordon Brown (god help us) is installed as Prime-Minister by June 25th and he picks his new cabinet,,,,,,if Ruth kelly is moved, will this delay the Falmer decision due by July 9th...??

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
turienzo's lovechild said:
my degree will lead me to adding to the economy of the nation, yet i am being punished for it

oh, and as a graduate i will earn £140-300k(?) more than a non-graduate, so actually, he kind of is forcing me to

So it's his fault graduate's are well paid and that's what forces you to do a degree?

I was in the second year of having to pay tuition fees and while i think it's poorly organised i agree wholeheartedly with the basic premise

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Presumably all of these figures based on graduate earnings are based around what graduates have earned historically, not what they are likely to earn in the next 40 years, when the job market seems to be flooded with hundreds of the buggers who have media/greenkeeping/kylie studies to their name.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Superphil said:
I'm not really having an arguement Simster, I agree that the ofsted reports are positive about both schools. My thoughts were based on a published league table I looked at, which did not look so good. Now I am as confused as I guess parents can be at times. I know I wouldn't just take ofsteds word for it, I'd ask around too, and read all the published tables, then make my decision. So far today I have decided not to have kids.
Fair dos fella, but some of those other published tables are not really worth the paper they're written on. It is Ofsted that turns up (often unannounced) and makes proper judgements based on actual guidelines using trained assessors.

My secondary school (Downlands) never features in the top xxx schools lists in The Times, but has been highly thought of by parents for several years now. I think this too is borne out by its Ofsted report which indicates the added value that the school provides. Basically, the ofsted reports are the most important IMO.

cjd said:
Slightly changing the latest posts on this thread.........if Gordon Brown (god help us) is installed as Prime-Minister by June 25th and he picks his new cabinet,,,,,,if Ruth kelly is moved, will this delay the Falmer decision due by July 9th...??

No, remember she and who ever takes over will not have a clue about planning matters. Her Planning civil servants will make their case and recommendations to who ever is in charge for that date. The Minister will then sign it off.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Buzzer said:
on fake evidence.

Jeffrey Archer persuaded a jury he was libelled by lying too.

but Bliar is an untouchable. History will show him as the man who started off repreenting the people but then stopped listening. How I wish John Smith had lived

Tony Blair: Highs and lows from the BBC

MAY 1997: LABOUR LANDSLIDE

Tony Blair enters Downing Street on a wave of goodwill after a landslide election victory, his Commons majority of 179 ending 18 years of Conservative rule. Even as he walks into Downing Street for the first time as prime minister - to be greeted by Labour supporters waving union jacks - the scale of the victory has yet to sink in. A few hours ago he had been contemplating a coalition with Paddy Ashdown's Liberal Democrats, believing he would never gain a working majority.

On This Day: Labour routs Tories in historic election

NOVEMBER 1997: ECCLESTONE AFFAIR
Mr Blair's popularity soars to unprecedented heights for a British prime minister in the immediate aftermath of his election victory. The Ecclestone affair is the first significant bump in the road - and a foretaste of the spin and party funding crises that would later engulf his premiership. He is accused of granting favours to Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone - exempting the sport from a tobacco ad ban - in exchange for a £1m Labour donation. After handing the cash back he insists in a BBC interview: "I am a pretty straight sort of a guy."

Blair apologises for mishandling F1 row
Transcript: Blair's Ecclestone meeting

SEPTEMBER 2000: FUEL CRISIS
The first national emergency of Mr Blair's premiership and the most serious dip in his popularity to this point. And it comes out of a clear blue sky. Panic buying of petrol and food threatens to bring the country to a halt after tanker drivers blockade oil refineries in protest at soaring diesel prices. Mr Blair returns from Hull - where he has been celebrating the 30th anniversary of John Prescott's entry into politics - to go into talks with oil companies, ministers and the police in a bid to find a solution. William Hague's Conservatives briefly overtake Labour in the polls.

In depth: Fuel protests

FEBRUARY 2001: FOOT-AND-MOUTH
A dark pall hangs over the final months of Mr Blair's first term in office, as the smoke from burning cattle and sheep carcasses drifts across a land blighted by foot-and-mouth disease. The crisis has taken Blair by surprise and ministers come in for heavy criticism for failing to bring it under control earlier. The general election - planned for May - has to be delayed amid continuing travel restrictions in rural areas.

In Depth: Foot-and-mouth

JUNE 2001: SECOND LANDSLIDE
Despite a foot-and-mouth-delayed election, Mr Blair achieves a second landslide, with a virtually unchanged majority - although his personal popularity is not what it was in 1997. It has been a dull campaign - enlivened only by Mr Blair's deputy John Prescott punching a voter who threw an egg at him. But unlike 1997, there are few celebrations at Labour HQ, as Mr Blair - chastened by media stories about spin and public service failures - vows to "do the things we promised to do".

In Depth: 2001 election

SEPTEMBER 2001: 9/11 TERROR ATTACKS
Mr Blair is preparing to deliver a speech to the TUC conference in Brighton when the first plane flies into the World Trade Center. Nothing will be the same for him again. His personal poll ratings soar in the immediate aftermath of the attacks on New York and Washington, as he rushes to US President George W Bush side, offering UK support for reprisal attacks on Afghanistan. It is the first act in a global "war on terror" that will dominate the rest of his time in office.

We share grief, Blair tells US
In Depth: America's day of terror

MARCH 2003: IRAQ INVASION
Another key turning point in the Blair premiership. Mr Blair fails to secure a second UN resolution authorising an invasion of Iraq, but wins Commons backing for military action - despite a rebellion by 139 Labour MPs. Two days later Operation Iraqi Freedom begins with air strikes on Baghdad. Mr Blair insists British ground troops must be fully committed, rather than in the supporting role offered by the US on the eve of war.

Blair wins war backing amid revolt

SEPTEMBER 2003: HUTTON INQUIRY
The inner workings of Mr Blair's government are laid bare in merciless detail during autumn 2003's Hutton inquiry. The inquiry was sparked by the apparent suicide of government weapons scientist Dr David Kelly, who had been identified as the source of a BBC story claiming the government had "sexed up" a dossier on Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction. But when Lord Hutton publishes his report it is the BBC, and not Mr Blair, which takes the lion's share of the blame - ending speculation Mr Blair would be forced to resign.

Blair gives Hutton evidence
In Depth: The Hutton inquiry

MAY 2005: THIRD TERM WON
An historic third successive election victory for Mr Blair. But his majority is reduced to from 167 in 2001 to 66. He promises to learn lessons from this - and the fact that he has the lowest share of the popular vote of any prime minister in history. He promises to "focus relentlessly" on the key issues affecting the public.

In Depth: 2005 election

JULY 2005: LONDON BOMBINGS
The most dramatic 24 hours of Blair's premiership. Jubilation over London winning the right to host the 2012 Olympics turns to horror as the city suffers multiple suicide attacks on its transport system. Three explosions occur on the Underground and one on a bus, killing 52 people. In a statement, Mr Blair says: "It is a very sad day for the British people but we will hold true to the British way of life." His popularity climbs as the nation looks to him for leadership.

Blair hails UK's Olympic victory
Blair says 'terror will not win'
In Depth: London attacks

NOVEMBER 2005: FIRST COMMONS DEFEAT
New anti-terror laws came thick and fast in the week of the 7 July attacks - but proposals to extend the length of time suspects can be held without charge to 90 days prove too much for many Labour MPs. He suffers his first Commons defeat as prime minister over the plans, with 49 Labour rebels voting against the government. Mr Blair says he hopes they "do not rue the day" they rejected his plans. Tory leader Michael Howard calls for his resignation.

Blair defeated over terror laws

DECEMBER 2006: CASH FOR HONOURS
Mr Blair becomes the first serving prime minister to be interviewed by police as part of a criminal inquiry. Scotland Yard has been probing allegations that peerages were "sold" to wealthy individuals in exchange for loans since March 2006. The prime minister is interviewed for a second time in January but the inquiry appears to be focusing on four members of his inner circle. No-one has been charged and all deny any wrongdoing. But ministers ruefully acknowledge the damage the affair is doing to the government.

Blair questioned in honours probe
Q&A: Cash for honours
Honours row: Who's who

SEPTEMBER 2006: ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE
He did not want it to end this way. Mr Blair made that perfectly plain as he finally bowed to weeks of pressure - culminating in a string of ministerial resignations - to name a departure date. He would be gone within a year, he told reporters on a visit to a London primary school - but in a final act of defiance to those calling for his head he refuses to name a precise date. "I would have preferred to do this in my own way," he admits.

I will quit within a year - Blair

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
London Calling said:
No, remember she and who ever takes over will not have a clue about planning matters. Her Planning civil servants will make their case and recommendations to who ever is in charge for that date. The Minister will then sign it off.

Thankyou.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As with any lengthy tenure at the top Blair has had a mixed time, but taking everything into consideration he's done OK.

I think too much is being made of his big lowpoint - Iraq. For the vast majority of people this issue does NOT affect their daily lives.
A prosperous economy, pretty good education system, reasonable taxes, fairer employment laws, liberalised drinking and gambling laws and sensible anti-smoking legislation do, however.

He could have done better with the NHS, he bottled the Eurpean Referendum (God knows how he got away with that!) and I think he'd admit he was too much of Bush's poodle but he was brilliant when Diana died and has generally acted like a statesman.

I don't think Gordon Brown will have the flair required to make a good PM. Cameron will roll out his policies nearer the election and, I suspect, once the bandwagon is rolling the Tories could get back in.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gordon Brown doesn't really strike me as "leadership material". I just can't see him up there making the big hard-hitting speeches that make the difference. I think he is far more suited to a lesser role (chancellor for example) where we don't see too much of him.

Then again I guess you could compare him to that muppet in charge of USA and he is a speech making god!

What happens if Scotland push for independence? Surely we can't have any Scots in parliament then so bye bye Brown.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Yeah thanks Tony.

Alongside everything mentioned here, thanks for the screwed up Rural Payments, the FAM disaster, Alun Michael and Margaret Beckett at DEFRA.

Can't actually think of many positives, the slight glimmer of hope of Milliband at Defra perhaps but that's not much for ten years 'work'.

I don't think Gordon Brown has what it takes me be a fully fledged leader, will be interesting to see how the time until the general election pans out for the labour party.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Despite all the pro's and con's of Blair's reign, I don't think we'd have been any better off under anyone else. The Tories are winning support now on the back of ten years of Labour Govnt. exactly the same reasons why Labour got in in '97, general public malaise/frustration with the incumbant government over a god knows how many years.

Would any other Labour PM or Tory PM have gone to war in Iraq, of course, the fact that we are so closely tied to the USA and the need to secure future strategic oil resources would have seen to it.

I fully expect the Tories to get in next time round, but I doubt bugger all will change under that slimeball Cameron.:down:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dr Q said:
Despite all the pro's and con's of Blair's reign, I don't think we'd have been any better off under anyone else. The Tories are winning support now on the back of ten years of Labour Govnt. exactly the same reasons why Labour got in in '97, general public malaise/frustration with the incumbant government over a god knows how many years.

Would any other Labour PM or Tory PM have gone to war in Iraq, of course, the fact that we are so closely tied to the USA and the need to secure future strategic oil resources would have seen to it.

I fully expect the Tories to get in next time round, but I doubt bugger all will change under that slimeball Cameron.:down:

I was thinking for a moment, that this is a sensible, objective post, then you go and call Cameron a slimeball, so really, you're just like most people, you have political leanings to one party, and everyone else that matters must then logically be a slimball.

Clearly Cameron is a young, vibrant politician who needs to change his party, not unlike Blair in 1994, but of course, he is not Labour, so he is naturally a slimeball

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wanderer said:
I was thinking for a moment, that this is a sensible, objective post, then you go and call Cameron a slimeball, so really, you're just like most people, you have political leanings to one party, and everyone else that matters must then logically be a slimball.

Clearly Cameron is a young, vibrant politician who needs to change his party, not unlike Blair in 1994, but of course, he is not Labour, so he is naturally a slimeball

He's a toff, who'll say anything to be liked. I know this can be levelled at pretty much any politician but he takes it to a ridicolous level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
keaton said:
He's a toff, who'll say anything to be liked. I know this can be levelled at pretty much any politician but he takes it to a ridicolous level.
You're right and it gets right on my tits. But to be honest, that's the way politics is going nowadays. I firmly believe Neil Kinnock would have made a firm and excellent prime minister, but his career was destroyed by the media who played on his looks because he went against their agenda. (I challenge you to find one photo taken in the Daily Mail that was in any way flattering). This is why Blair was given the chance to lead the Labour party after John Smith's demise.

It's not Cameron that worries me as much as the right wing of the Tory party. They always seem to exert far more influence than is justified. Ken Clarke would have made for an electable Tory, IMO. Too bad the blue rinse brigade and right wing think tanks couldn't see beyond his beliefs in Europe.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
keaton said:

Not unlike Blair in 1994

Well, of course, the leader of the party makes a big difference, for instance, nobody wanted Kinnock as PM, so Labour had to wait for someone like Blair before they became electable,

I take the point that it appears Cameron comes from the higher echelons of society, but that will gain him as many votes as it loses.

The conservatives are still paying the price of the Thatcher years which turned so many waivering voters away from the Tory blue and made Blair's job easier (at the start, at least).

At least now, with Cameron in charge, PM questions are interesting, and the Shadow Cabinet is actually reasonably effective in keeping the government on their toes, which is an important part of our democracy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
David Cameron is so much more convincing than the piss poor efforts of the last 10 years.

Michael Howard - Some kind of evil vampire

Ian Duncan Smith - Who? forgotten him already

William Hague - Never stood a chance from the start and came across as just a little bit sad.

All the tories need to do now is come up with a few convincing policies and they should walk the next election.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here