Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker crisis, it's not looking good

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
dunno said:
I'm getting really hacked off by all of this now - less than a week to go and......no one!! I know we clearly need a 'Target Man' - but surely just someone that could get us say 8 to 10 goals for the rest of the season whether they are a 'number 9' or a 'number 10' would suffice to get us out of trouble???

That would be my thinking too... get someone in, or we are almost certainly down... to my knowledge, Leicester have signed a striker, Millwall have signed a striker, Shef Wed have signed 2!!, and Crewe have £1.5M form the Dean Ashton sell-on... and we have...

Done FCUK ALL to address our FCUKING OBVIOUS problems up-front...

I am fed up with hearing the EXCUSES... do something MM and DK... do it NOW!!...

*** Waits for the same old cr@p about lack of financial resources, state of Withdean... blah FCUKING blah... :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla:

Yes, well we have brought other good players in when in a poor financial state, and we have raked in about £2M in transfer fees this season ***

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't forget Forest signed an ageing striker Gareth Somebody from Preston for a £1 million plus and they still got relegated.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
BW - at least 90 grand has gone in the direction of defending ourselves against Lewes council re the stadium. That aside, the sort of target man that McGhee is talking about will cost far more than we can afford.

This season is no different than any of the last 8 or 9 in that we have no money, we know we have no money and yet we still manage to survive. As you obviously think a lack of financial resources isn't a problem - tell us where the money's going to come from. When a championship level player like Akinbiyi is going for 1.75million McGhee will need about 500k to land anyone that's going to improve our attack, in the unlikely event that such a player fancies coming to Withdean. If it's all so easy I await with baited breath your answer as to how it's done.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Spiros said:
BW - at least 90 grand has gone in the direction of defending ourselves against Lewes council re the stadium. That aside, the sort of target man that McGhee is talking about will cost far more than we can afford.

This season is no different than any of the last 8 or 9 in that we have no money, we know we have no money and yet we still manage to survive. As you obviously think a lack of financial resources isn't a problem - tell us where the money's going to come from. When a championship level player like Akinbiyi is going for 1.75million McGhee will need about 500k to land anyone that's going to improve our attack, in the unlikely event that such a player fancies coming to Withdean. If it's all so easy I await with baited breath your answer as to how it's done.

Well said, some people dont realise the sort of team we are working with.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
I am fed up with hearing the EXCUSES... do something MM and DK... do it NOW!!...

*** Waits for the same old cr@p about lack of financial resources, state of Withdean... blah FCUKING blah... :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla:

Yes, well we have brought other good players in when in a poor financial state, and we have raked in about £2M in transfer fees this season *** [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you think that maybe 'the same old excuse' is because it's the truth and not some made up thing to mislead supporters.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
I think we need to take a few chances based on the Judicial Review. If we are a certainty to win it, then a gamble on a striker might be in order.

It could cost us far more in the long run to get out of League One again than to try and stay in the Championship now. That said if there is any doubt at all, that LDC could win it, then its probably too big a chance to take.

Its a pity we can't sue LDC for preventing us buying a player who keeps us up, if we are relegated for the loss of revenue from being in L1.

:angry:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Infernal Optimist said:
I think we need to take a few chances based on the Judicial Review. If we are a certainty to win it, then a gamble on a striker might be in order.

It could cost us far more in the long run to get out of League One again than to try and stay in the Championship now. That said if there is any doubt at all, that LDC could win it, then its probably too big a chance to take.

Its a pity we can't sue LDC for preventing us buying a player who keeps us up, if we are relegated for the loss of revenue from being in L1.

:thumbsup:

If we go down it will be hard to return and attendances may fall starting a downward spiral .....look at Gillingham and Rotherham ..they are trying their best to get relegated again and forest arent setting the world alight...
Lack of investment in the team will also have an effect on season ticket renewals..... its time to speculate to accumulate. It doesnt need to break the bank !!

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
All said and done and we accept that the money we have recieved and not re-invested is keeping the club afloat but remmeber only 3 weeks ago we lost arguably our main striker who was the highest paid at the club. No money arguement is bollox as he has to be replaced + the wages are there to do it. There must be plenty of players out there who we could get and I don't mean from Crawley , Dagenham , Dover or Northwich !!

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Dougal said:
All said and done and we accept that the money we have recieved and not re-invested is keeping the club afloat but remmeber only 3 weeks ago we lost arguably our main striker who was the highest paid at the club. No money arguement is bollox as he has to be replaced + the wages are there to do it. There must be plenty of players out there who we could get and I don't mean from Crawley , Dagenham , Dover or Northwich !!

agreed

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I thought... the same old excuses form the same old suspects...

I don't expect us to come up with 500k (even though we HAVE raked in £2M (as I said above), with another few hundred thousand to come from the Harding fee)...

What I DO expect is for us to compete for players like Tudgay and Burton, who went to Shef Wed for consdierably less than 1/2 a million...

Year in, year out, I renew my season ticket, I spend in the club shop, I travel to away games to give my support, etc. etc... amounts to hundreds of pounds every year...

Enough is enough... it has to be worth splashing a bit of cash NOW to make a reasonable attempt to stay in the CCC... as has previously been said, going down will cost us a hell of a lot more...

Think on that, and then play your cracked record again...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think it was Albion Dan that came up with the point the other day of how would the club have stayed afloat if Virgo, Harding, Leon, Currie and Cullip had not been sold? These were not budgeted for.
So going by that there HAS to be money floating about.

Maybe Knight doesnt trust Mcghee with money?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:

I don't expect us to come up with 500k (even though we HAVE raked in £2M (as I said above), with another few hundred thousand to come from the Harding fee)...

We needed 2 million to stay afloat, we got it from those fees. plus about another 200k from a and k.

What I DO expect is for us to compete for players like Tudgay and Burton, who went to Shef Wed for consdierably less than 1/2 a million...

If you had a choice between here and Sheffield wednesday where would you go? A 23000 seather stadium or a half full 7k seat athletic track?

Year in, year out, I renew my season ticket, I spend in the club shop, I travel to away games to give my support, etc. etc... amounts to hundreds of pounds every year...

So do alot of other people, that tends to go on wages ect. Apart from away games and we get nothing from that,

Enough is enough... it has to be worth splashing a bit of cash NOW to make a reasonable attempt to stay in the CCC... as has previously been said, going down will cost us a hell of a lot more...

Now this I agree with!

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
KinkyHitler said:
I think it was Albion Dan that came up with the point the other day of how would the club have stayed afloat if Virgo, Harding, Leon, Currie and Cullip had not been sold? These were not budgeted for.
So going by that there HAS to be money floating about.

and the Spurs Cup game .....but its all gone in the Falmer black hole unfortunately

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
B.W. said:
we have...

Done FCUK ALL to address our FCUKING OBVIOUS problems up-front...

Yes, well we have brought other good players in when in a poor financial state, and we have raked in about £2M in transfer fees this season ***
Well said!:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here