Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker crisis, it's not looking good

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
He would be one of the applicants that you ignore like the ones who apply because they won the Premier League on Championship Manager.

I said that there would be 3 or 4 GENUINE contenders.

Thats the point, He is the cream of the crop from the current batch of unemployed managers!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
He would be one of the applicants that you ignore like the ones who apply because they won the Premier League on Championship Manager.

I said that there would be 3 or 4 GENUINE contenders.

go on you tease .... name names ....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh blimey its been done to death by me, Richie Morris, Kinky, Uncle Buck etc in previous threads!!!

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Oh blimey its been done to death by me, Richie Morris, Kinky, Uncle Buck etc in previous threads!!!

Really? I cant remeber a half decent suggestion. Apart from Managers already at clubs that we would have to pay compo for.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The Auditor said:
:thumbsup:

If we go down it will be hard to return and attendances may fall starting a downward spiral .....look at Gillingham and Rotherham ..they are trying their best to get relegated again and forest arent setting the world alight...
Lack of investment in the team will also have an effect on season ticket renewals..... its time to speculate to accumulate. It doesnt need to break the bank !!
:angry:
The same argument that was trotted out just before we were relegated from this division before. Given our tiny ground attendances aren't going to drop by that much are they? If we get relegated (that's IF not WHEN) the core of the team will remain the same and we will be in a reasonable position to push for promotion again - that will help to drive crowds up again. The 3 teams that went down last season lost key players and didn't replace them which is why they are struggling now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Spiros said:
The same argument that was trotted out just before we were relegated from this division before. Given our tiny ground attendances aren't going to drop by that much are they? If we get relegated (that's IF not WHEN) the core of the team will remain the same and we will be in a reasonable position to push for promotion again - that will help to drive crowds up again. The 3 teams that went down last season lost key players and didn't replace them which is why they are struggling now.

The current side would not get promoted again

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Here we are then. I will try for 'genuine contenders'. How about:

Dave Bassett
John Gregory
Dennis Wise
Ron Atkinson
Alan Ball
Peter Reid
The Cameroon Manager from the 2002 World Cup (can't remember his name but he supposedly applied before)

Should I go on??? No need because clearly these are all better than McGhee!!! :lolol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
Here we are then. I will try for 'genuine contenders'. How about:

Dave Bassett
John Gregory
Dennis Wise
Ron Atkinson
Alan Ball
Peter Reid
The Cameroon Manager from the 2002 World Cup (can't remember his name but he supposedly applied before)

Should I go on??? No need because clearly these are all better than McGhee!!! :lolol:

O dear God. If we sack MM i will be worried if we still have a team in the league in 3 years time! If thats the best set of "contenders" we have got then i pray that MM does not get the boot.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Bassett - past it
Gregory - serious problem with player relationships
Wise - untried - half a season doesn't count
Atkinson - c'mon get real... hasn't been a manager for ages!!!
Ball - now you really are desperate... absolutely no success in management
Reidy - this is a maybe..... altho his recent jobs have been disasters
Cameroon manager????? - er.... okay.... didn't a formerly successful manager of cameroon go to Cambridge and make a total cock-up of the job?... or maybe you thinkw e're only as good as cambridge????

The point being is this...... when you said genuine contenders I thought you meant managers who have a record similar to that of Adams, Coppell, Taylor and even Mcghee. You onbviously use compoletely different criteria than the rest of us!!!

Not one of them would make me feel more comfoirtable than I am right now.

try again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have just realised that i have never seen Tony Meola, richie, kinky, or uncle buck post at the same time as Ernest.

So i have concluded that they are actually Ernest's more subtle pseudonyms and that they own us all :shootself

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Bassett - past it
Gregory - serious problem with player relationships
Wise - untried - half a season doesn't count
Atkinson - c'mon get real... hasn't been a manager for ages!!!
Ball - now you really are desperate... absolutely no success in management
Reidy - this is a maybe..... altho his recent jobs have been disasters
Cameroon manager????? - er.... okay.... didn't a formerly successful manager of cameroon go to Cambridge and make a total cock-up of the job?... or maybe you thinkw e're only as good as cambridge????

The point being is this...... when you said genuine contenders I thought you meant managers who have a record similar to that of Adams, Coppell, Taylor and even Mcghee. You onbviously use compoletely different criteria than the rest of us!!!

Not one of them would make me feel more comfoirtable than I am right now.

try again.

I was illustrating the point that there are no decent managers around. I completely agree with you and there are few quality managers available who would want to come to Brighton.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
KinkyHitler said:
Just like forest are this year?
or even Bristol have stormed back.

They are two different teams to us! Anyway, BC sacked their manager and replaced him with an unproven manager funnily enough that was a big mistake.

Notts Forest have offloaded quality players and not really got anyone decent back in.

we dont really need to sell anyone if we go down so should be able to keep the same squad.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
He comes from Worthing, he's only been living in Derby about 17 years, surely he'd come back? :lolol:

How do you know he wouldn't want to come back down south?... is Derby a better place to live than Brighton?... has he got family and friends down here?... do you actually know?...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
How do you know he wouldn't want to come back down south?... is Derby a better place to live than Brighton?... has he got family and friends down here?... do you actually know?...

I think it was in a programme last year that he was only born here, he went to Derby at a very young age. I think most footballers would want to play in front of 20k+ crowds instead of 7k+ crowds.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
This is definitely getting boring. Go on give us some examples of these great managers who may be interested in a job where after two years of success (remember McGhee took us up and then kept us up) against all the odds, the manager has 'fans' like you calling for his sacking. I am sure they will be queueing but none of the ones who are will be better than McGhee. We should be building for the long term not having short term fixes. So, until Wenger and Mourinho decide to become joint managers, Mark McGhee is our best option.

On the striker issue, it is disappointing that we have not signed someone. However, I would rather we went down with no new striker (which may still not happen as we are fourth bottom and relegation is not guaranteed) than spend money we do not have on a striker and risk further financial problems. Again, long term is more important.

... but we will LOSE money if we go down... FFS... why can the club do absolutely nothing wrong in some peoples eyes?...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

You mean like last time when the 4 interviewed were McGhee, Dowie, Cotterill and Rosenior. Now OK it has gone wrong for Rosenior but both Dowie and Cotterill are doing better than McGhee.

However McGhee can do no wrong in the eyes of the Watford Zero's of this world, but these are probably the same people that thought Archer and Stanely had the best interests of the club at heart....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here