Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker crisis, it's not looking good

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think McGhee is a hard working honest manager who has the support of the players and the majority of the fans.

If anyone took over they would quickly realise that you cannot polish a turd, and the combination of Withdean and no money is not going to attract players, managers or sponsors.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Spiros said:
The same argument that was trotted out just before we were relegated from this division before. Given our tiny ground attendances aren't going to drop by that much are they? If we get relegated (that's IF not WHEN) the core of the team will remain the same and we will be in a reasonable position to push for promotion again - that will help to drive crowds up again. The 3 teams that went down last season lost key players and didn't replace them which is why they are struggling now.

There are some very BIG assumptions in your post...

We may well lose our best players
We may well be mid-table or worse
Because of the above... we may well suffer falling attendances
And we WILL lose TV money...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyHitler said:
As ive said all along the money Brighton will lose from tv alone from going down will criple the coffers even more.

The TV deal is not a huge factor in relegation, it is about 150k less in the division alone, not like the ITV Digital deal which was about a million less in the league below. Bearing in mind it is standard for players to have something along the lines of a 15% wage cut if we are relegated I suspect the loss of TV money will be off set by the reduction in wages.

Where the issue of relegation will come to haunt us, is when we have to flog all the corporate stuff at Falmer as a League One product is going to be of less interest to the sort of companies we would be aiming at.

Also we are likely to get less for naming rights if we are in the third tier.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
You mean like last time when the 4 interviewed were McGhee, Dowie, Cotterill and Rosenior. Now OK it has gone wrong for Rosenior but both Dowie and Cotterill are doing better than McGhee.

However McGhee can do no wrong in the eyes of the Watford Zero's of this world, but these are probably the same people that thought Archer and Stanely had the best interests of the club at heart....

But to be fair, Burnley and Palace are clubs with bigger budgets, bigger stadiums and therefore more money. Its not really a fair comparission.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The possibility of a signing is looking ever more remote if as The Large One said on another thread ' the club went and asked the 40 forty note fund for some money' but they havent any either.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
I think it was in a programme last year that he was only born here, he went to Derby at a very young age. I think most footballers would want to play in front of 20k+ crowds instead of 7k+ crowds.

FFS... we have attracted good players whilst at Withdean... or do you disagree with that?... if you agree, you must also believe that it is possible that we could make a decent striker signing ...

To repeat... I said "players like" Tudgay... read my post...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uncle Buck said:
The TV deal is not a huge factor in relegation, it is about 150k less in the division alone, [/QUOTE

On another thread El President said that if we are relegated we lose £1m in Sky TV money about 25% of our player budget.

Which one of you is correct.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
You mean like last time when the 4 interviewed were McGhee, Dowie, Cotterill and Rosenior. Now OK it has gone wrong for Rosenior but both Dowie and Cotterill are doing better than McGhee.

However McGhee can do no wrong in the eyes of the Watford Zero's of this world, but these are probably the same people that thought Archer and Stanely had the best interests of the club at heart....

I cannot believe that you wrote that. How can you compare supporting a manager who, against all odds, has taken us up and kept us in this division to supporting Archer and Stanley. Yes, Dowie has done well at Palace. However, he took them up from a league and then failed to keep them there against the odds. The only difference in my mind is that McGhee managed to keep us in the division. As for Cotterill it is difficult to compare. He has done a good job but so has McGhee. I think your argument is weak and you are abusing McGhee supporters to hide that.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Uncle Buck said:
The TV deal is not a huge factor in relegation, it is about 150k less in the division alone, [/QUOTE

On another thread El President said that if we are relegated we lose £1m in Sky TV money about 25% of our player budget.

Which one of you is correct.

Not entirely sure, I was working on the deal signed in 2002, but noticed on a search a new deal had been agreed;

Sky Signs New Football League TV Deal

The Football League has extended its broadcasting agreement with Sky Sports and ITV for another three years.

The deal is believed to be worth in the region of £110m.

The previous deal netted the 72 Football League clubs £25m a season over four years.

The new deal, which runs until 2009, represents an increase in revenue of more than 40%.

The new agreement will see Sky broadcast around 100 live matches a season from the Football League's competitions.

ITV will continue with its Sunday morning and regional highlights programmes.

Football League chairman Sir Brian Mawhinney said: "Crowds have increased yet again, as have viewing figures and we are also delivering on the promise we made to increase our clubs' commercial revenues.

"Sky Sports are a class act and this new agreement is recognition of the outstanding entertainment our clubs provide their viewers week in, week out, throughout the season."

He also added he was delighted ITV had agreed to extend the deal for a further three seasons.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
In fairness Burnley have one of the smaller budgets in this division. 2 years in a row the board have sold their main striker against the wishes of the manager.

Fair point, i think MM and SC both have both done quite well. Burnley have kept an even keel in this league and we have been promoted and stayed in the division against the odds.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
FFS... we have attracted good players whilst at Withdean... or do you disagree with that?... if you agree, you must also believe that it is possible that we could make a decent striker signing ...

To repeat... I said "players like" Tudgay... read my post...

TBF how many Championship level players have we signed in the last two years? Currie and CKR. I dont think any of our other signings would walk into another championship first team.

The only reason we got Currie was because he was a reject and the only reason we got CKR was cos he wanted to stay local.

We do have a chance at signing a half decent striker but he has to be either local or unwanted at this level.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockport County have agreed a fee with an unnamed club for their 11 goal top scorer Jermaine Easter? Wonder which club, 11 gaols for a struggling Div 2 side wouldnt cost a lot I wouldnt think.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Stockport County have agreed a fee with an unnamed club for their 11 goal top scorer Jermaine Easter? Wonder which club, 11 gaols for a struggling Div 2 side wouldnt cost a lot I wouldnt think.

I bet he would cost at least 250k. Still its the sort of place we need to look and i would be pleased with that sort of signing.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Jean-Michel Sigere
Club: Lewes FC
Position: Forward
Signed from: Gravesend and Northfleet
Previous Clubs: Bordeaux, Rushden and Diamonds, Margate
Rooks debut: 13/08/05

Appearances: 7
Goals: 15

Withdean would be a step up and his wages would be affordable.

With an average of 2 goals a game he might just be what we are looking for :)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Locky said:
Jean-Michel Sigere
Club: Lewes FC
Position: Forward
Signed from: Gravesend and Northfleet
Previous Clubs: Bordeaux, Rushden and Diamonds, Margate
Rooks debut: 13/08/05

Appearances: 7
Goals: 15

Withdean would be a step up and his wages would be affordable.

With an average of 2 goals a game he might just be what we are looking for :)

Hmmm, Might be worth a trial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here