Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker crisis, it's not looking good

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
TBF how many Championship level players have we signed in the last two years? Currie and CKR. I dont think any of our other signings would walk into another championship first team.

The only reason we got Currie was because he was a reject and the only reason we got CKR was cos he wanted to stay local.

We do have a chance at signing a half decent striker but he has to be either local or unwanted at this level.

Ever the optimist!... I would also disagree that we have only signed 2 CCC-standard players... look at our current 1st team and have a re-think on that...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
Do you .... actually, if you think about it ... he's playing in a stadia that has this season got close to the 20K mark, he's likely to be paid very close to what he was on at Derby and as he's lived in the area for while now it might just be possible that he's settled down, as such wouldn't have to move from his existing house. Or as you so rightly pointed out, he can play in front of 6K crowds in an athletic stadium on a lot less than he is now and he's got the delights of moving his family back where house prices are stupid ... great ,I know which I would choose.

Lets face it, it's not about players in, as about getting at Mcghee. I was talking to a Leeds fan who went to the game (a guest of FDM), he lives near FDM. He cannot believe what a whinging bunch of ungreatful prats we are (I've toned it down), he thought leeds fans where moaners but appartently we are giving them a run for there money. he did say that we weren't anywhere near as bad as Spurs fans ... He can't believe we are still in the CCC, yet we are ....

FFS... how many times do I have to say it... I said PLAYERS LIKE Tudgay...

And the reason I want at least one decent CCC-level striker in is because I think it is VITAL for our survival... I am not having a dig at MM, other than the fact that he has FAILED to sign the player we need... but then, he has admitted that himself...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
He's lived his whole life up north. He moved when he was a small kid, the fact he was born in Worthing is irellevent.

I notice you dodge the other reasons, that Sheffield Wednesday pay more, and have a stadium. :shootself

I notice that you ignore the FACT THAT I SAID PLAYERS LIKE TUDGAY...

You are probably 100% correct when you say Sheff Wed pay more, but I am sure they are being a little more realistic with wages now... what with their astronomical debt and all... also, is the stadium really that important to anyone except a few shallow players?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
And at least twice as much by way of debts.

How do you work that out?...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
B.W. said:
FFS... how many times do I have to say it... I said PLAYERS LIKE Tudgay...

And the reason I want at least one decent CCC-level striker in is because I think it is VITAL for our survival... I am not having a dig at MM, other than the fact that he has FAILED to sign the player we need... but then, he has admitted that himself...

Spot on.If we can sign Kitson then there's no excuse.Wait for certain people to go on about the ground and bollox YAWN

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
algie said:
Spot on.If we can sign Kitson then there's no excuse.Wait for certain people to go on about the ground and bollox YAWN

Still waiting for your financial qualifications...:wave:

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yep.didn't take the chairman long did it?:lolol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If Knight can't mantain a championship side then perhaps he should step down;)

Last edited:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
KinkyHitler said:
I think it was Albion Dan that came up with the point the other day of how would the club have stayed afloat if Virgo, Harding, Leon, Currie and Cullip had not been sold? These were not budgeted for.
So going by that there HAS to be money floating about.

Exactly the point Albion Dan. I asked a similar the question and El Pres. said it was to do with the bank overdraft being stretched almost beyond its means. My next question to him re going into administration/receivership (given that we were on such a financial knife edge), unless we continued to sell players, remains unanswered.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bromley shrimp said:
Exactly the point Albion Dan. I asked a similar the question and El Pres. said it was to do with the bank overdraft being stretched almost beyond its means. My next question to him re going into administration/receivership (given that we were on such a financial knife edge), unless we continued to sell players, remains unanswered.

I can't answer that on behalf of the club, but the answer is that we probably would be in administration without those sales. Alive and Kicking was intended to raise £2million, but only raised £250k (still a good achievement though). The bank has put pressure on the club to reduce the overdraft over the last couple of years, to the extent that they have refused to pay wages I suspect on at least one occasion.

We will continue to be a net selling club whilst we make operational losses of the current magnitude.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Saying all i have about new players, id rather have a club to watch.

I think what riles most people is not the fact no one has signed its the el turi money that was wasted.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
El Presidente said:
I can't answer that on behalf of the club, but the answer is that we probably would be in administration without those sales. Alive and Kicking was intended to raise £2million, but only raised £250k (still a good achievement though). The bank has put pressure on the club to reduce the overdraft over the last couple of years, to the extent that they have refused to pay wages I suspect on at least one occasion.

We will continue to be a net selling club whilst we make operational losses of the current magnitude.

Thank you for the explanation. It was you, however, who came up with the £1 million pound (quarter of playing budget) figure, which would be lost from TV revenue if we were to go down. So you'd think that a relatively small investment, admittedley at additional risk to try and ensure Div 2 survival, this season could provide longer term security for the loan and that even a bank worth it's salt would respect the principle of speculate to accumulate.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bromley shrimp said:
Thank you for the explanation. It was you, however, who came up with the £1 million pound (quarter of playing budget) figure, which would be lost from TV revenue if we were to go down. So you'd think that a relatively small investment, admittedley at additional risk to try and ensure Div 2 survival, this season could provide longer term security for the loan and that even a bank worth it's salt would respect the principle of speculate to accumulate.

I know where you are coming from on the spend a little to save a lot front.

I think the problem is that we don't have a little to spend at present. To get the striker we need to stay up it will cost a minimum of (say) £200k up front, with wages of about £4k a week on a 2 1/2 year contract. That would be a total outlay of £700k to save £1million, with no guarantee of it working.

What we need is the COCKS at LDC to drop the vindictive and spiteful campaign to destroy the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here