Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker crisis, it's not looking good

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Jimmy Saville said:
How can you compare Carole to Uncle Albert?!?!? Albert is a conference player, Carole is quality.

You cannot expect players like Carole to be 100% consistent. I bet you used to slag of Waddle, Hoddle, Le Tissier and Barnes when they played for England...

I wasn't around to be fair. I think Albert is a good player (not as good as Carole) but just doesn't have the final ball.

Dont get me wrong i think Carole is a fantastic player to watch good pace, trickery and skill BUT i just find his final ball somewhat frustrating some times.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
Is this true about McCammon being on trial at Watford or is this a wind up?

True, Confirmed by Race. Had he not been i expect he would have been playing in the reserve game yesterday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Waddle was slow
Hoddle was lazy
Le Tissier was FRENCH
Barnes was useless apart from that goal against Brazil.

We needed tried and tested ENGLISH hard men like Norman Hunter and Ron Chopper Harris.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Martlet said:
Because then we'd have a striker crisis, and a midfield crisis

That is true, Hammond has been the driving force in our midfield and we only have 3 decent CM's in Reid, Mayo and Carpenter. Oh and Nicolas when he is fit and McShane can play there when Hinsh is back. Your right it would be a crisis.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
waddle and hoddle were class for england.
barnes only really produced for liverpool.
and le tiss was well overrated. he went through his full season (when everybody wanted him in england team) only scoring a handfull of goals and not assisting any.
i remember this as i thought at the time how overrated he was. thing is the few goals he scored were crackers.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Have to agree that I find Carole frustrating, but do think he is a great player for us. I think Albert is unfairly criticised and with the chance I belive he could be almost as good as Carole. His performance against Sheff Utd at home was the best by any of our wingers I have seen all season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Les Biehn said:
That is true, Hammond has been the driving force in our midfield and we only have 3 decent CM's in Reid, Mayo and Carpenter. Oh and Nicolas when he is fit and McShane can play there when Hinsh is back. Your right it would be a crisis.

Yes we would struggle there, Mayo just isn't good enough (good performance at Soton, but still not good enough!)

Reid maybe but would like to see him in that RM role he played against Leeds. Nicholas hasn't been in the team when he is fit and McShane i would rather have playing CB.

Add this to the fact Hammond does not know where the goal is at the moment then it really is pointless.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
DAMANCLAY said:
Yes we would struggle there, Mayo just isn't good enough (good performance at Soton, but still not good enough!)

Reid maybe but would like to see him in that RM role he played against Leeds. Nicholas hasn't been in the team when he is fit and McShane i would rather have playing CB.

Add this to the fact Hammond does not know where the goal is at the moment then it really is pointless.

It was just a suggestion. I disagree about the centre of midfield on nearly all accounts. Firstly I would like to see Reid on the right but if we play two upfront then Carole has to go there. Secondly if Nicolas is fit then I believe he should get his chance. Thirdly why not give Mayo a go, he is a decent alternative in that position. And lastly if Hinsh is back and good to go then why not play McShane there. He is quick, can tackle and good on the ball.

Hammond is suffering from some first full season pressure, putting him upfront where he will not be expected to control things may take the weight off and allow him to play his game.

1066gull

Deano dropped for Reid.

Carole on the right and CKR up front with Hart. Deano needs to be rested

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
A van der Meyde said:
Deano dropped for Reid.

Carole on the right and CKR up front with Hart. Deano needs to be rested

Stop making intelligent posts 1066. That is surprisingly a decent idea.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Les Biehn said:
It was just a suggestion. I disagree about the centre of midfield on nearly all accounts. Firstly I would like to see Reid on the right but if we play two upfront then Carole has to go there. Secondly if Nicolas is fit then I believe he should get his chance. Thirdly why not give Mayo a go, he is a decent alternative in that position. And lastly if Hinsh is back and good to go then why not play McShane there. He is quick, can tackle and good on the ball.

Hammond is suffering from some first full season pressure, putting him upfront where he will not be expected to control things may take the weight off and allow him to play his game.

I think should Hammond go up front we are doomed to relegation. He cant find the net and hs missed a serious number of one on ones and headers. Mayo is not a decent alternative to any position at this level but his the best of your suggestions. He will play in a more defensive role and let carpenter get forward.

McShane is a centre half, not a midfielder i think it would waste the obvious talent he has at this level.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
DAMANCLAY said:
I think should Hammond go up front we are doomed to relegation. He cant find the net and hs missed a serious number of one on ones and headers. Mayo is not a decent alternative to any position at this level but his the best of your suggestions. He will play in a more defensive role and let carpenter get forward.

McShane is a centre half, not a midfielder i think it would waste the obvious talent he has at this level.

So Carpenter can get forward? Fair enough. He never really struck me as the Frank Lampard/Paul Scholes type, but if you say so. My point is why not give Hammond a chance up front, I'm not saying it will work, I'm just trying to think outside the box so to speak. It worked with Virgo, why not with him.

Also when Hinsh is back where would you play him. And are you seriously telling me that McShane would be no good in the centre of our midfield?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Ok go on then, Players that we have signed (e.g. made them our player not on loan) I think the only two that would walk into another side is CKR and Currie.

Carole and Frutos are good players but they wouldnt alk into any other side in this league.

Funnily enough, you list the two I was thinking of!... :)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Les Biehn said:
So Carpenter can get forward? Fair enough. He never really struck me as the Frank Lampard/Paul Scholes type, but if you say so. My point is why not give Hammond a chance up front, I'm not saying it will work, I'm just trying to think outside the box so to speak. It worked with Virgo, why not with him.

Also when Hinsh is back where would you play him. And are you seriously telling me that McShane would be no good in the centre of our midfield?

Because Virgo had some idea where the goal was. At his current form Hammond would waste at lot of chances, how many points has he cost us this season? Arguably cost as three at Millwall and Three against Leicester.

With Hinsh im unsure. im not saying that McShane would be no good in CM but i think he would be less effective there. It could be worth a try to see how he adapts and then put Hinsh in at CB.
And if McShane was awful there then i think we would have to drop Butters for Hinsh.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Why make changes to a defence which is doing ok? We need a striker desperately, and if we can get someone who can score, the rest of the team will come together.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Hamster may have missed a few this season, but at least he is getting in there to get the chances in the first place, more than our strikers do most of the time (Leeds excluded).

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
80's Seagull said:
Hamster may have missed a few this season, but at least he is getting in there to get the chances in the first place, more than our strikers do most of the time (Leeds excluded).

Good point, we need a striker who can actually get into positions where he can score.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Everyone keeps banging on about how great our defence is yet we have one of the worst defensive records in the league. Personally I would put Hinsh in at CB, McShane at RB and El-Abd at LB. But needs must and imo it is the defending of the midfield that is a problem, we need to break teams down earlier and more efficently which I feel McShane would be very good at.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Les Biehn said:
Everyone keeps banging on about how great our defence is yet we have one of the worst defensive records in the league. Personally I would put Hinsh in at CB, McShane at RB and El-Abd at LB. But needs must and imo it is the defending of the midfield that is a problem, we need to break teams down earlier and more efficently which I feel McShane would be very good at.
I think Mcshane would be a good sweeper...failing that a defensive midfielder...he reads the game so well!!!

Can't consider it till hinsh is back though

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
paddy said:
Why make changes to a defence which is doing ok?,

Have you seen our goals against record 2nd worse in the Division.

Had we not conceeded so many we would be half way up the table irerespective of how few we have scored.

We need 16 clean sheets from now to stand a chance of staying up plus a few odd goals scored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here