Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium application and car park application recommended for approval

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The easiest solution for the club wishing to retain people within the stadium post match is to simply reduce prices

Is it? I don't think they need to. Up to 30% of the crowd already sticks around - meaning the bars are packed for a good hour or so (longer in ESB and Dick's) afterwards.

might also help to reduce stock wastage

The Harvey's isn't wasted.

Which way round do people want it? Some are saying 'they've run out of beer in X bar after the match'. Now you're saying there's a wastage problem.

might also help to reduce stock wastage and no need to mess around with ecredits and all that malarky. The cost initial is in the main borne by the caterers but they also avoid stock wastage so it has benefits for them. Opening up the East stand lounge was a great idea and needs to be more widely publicised - if you let people know VERY LOUDLY before the game and every game that there are faclities on offer, then bit by bit you can change the psyche and get more people to stay behind. Getting people to arrive earlier is probably best achieved by providing added entertainment (which we are pretty good on in my view) and constantly reminding people of the benefits of travelling in relative comfort. You certainly don't want to discount sales pre-match!

I don't think that they could advertise the East Stand bar being open any louder. It's advertised on the club website, in the match programme, on the TV screens, on the big screens; if people don't know it's open after the game, it probably means they're walking around in a daze.

Encouraging people to arrive early and/or leave late hasn't been a problem.

I read those documents earlier, and while seemingly slightly contradictory - somewhere down the line something seems to have been worked out to cope with expected increase in capacity.

I would certainly agree that there is capacity outside the '45 minutes after match' scenario (when, according to the same travel report, anywhere between 10% and 30% of the crowd stay behind that long), as I have left the ground at that point, never queued and always found plenty of room, to the point at times of nearly empty carriages.

I suppose it depends on how you define 'limited additional rolling stock'. I read it as initially Southern could provide 'X' carriages, but having spoken to the club, they can provide 'X+' carriages. I guess we'll find out presently.

Hmmm........ maybe you're right about additional carriages but I didn't read it that way - seems there's an element of smoke 'n mirrors here. Anyway, I guess we'll find out next season; does sound to me that committee approval's a done deal unless the Councillors pick up on something during the meeting.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hmmm........ maybe you're right about additional carriages but I didn't read it that way - seems there's an element of smoke 'n mirrors here. Anyway, I guess we'll find out next season; does sound to me that committee approval's a done deal unless the Councillors pick up on something during the meeting.

I suspect with all the noises coming out of the council - from all parties - about lining up behind the Albion, the political fall-out on the back of a refusal at this stage would be HORRIFIC.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I admire your optimism TLO that an increase in capacity won't cause any additional travel delays so the club need do little or nothing more. I'm not sure that your figures match the ones the club uses to persuade the council. You might just be a tad over optimistic but you are absolutely right that the club has made massive strides in encouraging fans to arrive early and stay late - more so with regard to the general "fan in the street" (as opposed to the prawn sarnie brigade) than any other club I have ever been to in this country. There will always be problems - it's impossible for there not to be when moving so many people in and out of a defined space in a specific timescale. Not a cat in hell's chance it will result in the planning variation being turned down though as you rightly say.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I admire your optimism TLO that an increase in capacity won't cause any additional travel delays so the club need do little or nothing more. I'm not sure that your figures match the ones the club uses to persuade the council. You might just be a tad over optimistic but you are absolutely right that the club has made massive strides in encouraging fans to arrive early and stay late - more so with regard to the general "fan in the street" (as opposed to the prawn sarnie brigade) than any other club I have ever been to in this country. There will always be problems - it's impossible for there not to be when moving so many people in and out of a defined space in a specific timescale. Not a cat in hell's chance it will result in the planning variation being turned down though as you rightly say.

I've said nothing about increase in capacity not causing any additional delays. I suspect, like the beginning of this season, that in the first few games of additional capacity that there will be some hold-ups (and NSC will once again go into meltdown). Then, also like this season, I suspect things will settle down again when people work out what is best.

The figures (10%-30% of stay-behinds) are from the travel report submitted by the club to the council - the same report that said 83% of us are using sustainable transport (if you include P&R as sustainable - 68% if you don't) to get to and from the stadium.

I suspect with all the noises coming out of the council - from all parties - about lining up behind the Albion, the political fall-out on the back of a refusal at this stage would be HORRIFIC.

That's more or less what I was told by some current and ex BHCC planners at the game on Tuesday night. Bit of a shame the club didn't make a better job of some aspects though - eg despite the excellent mini bus service, disabled parking and access arrangements outside the stadium will still be less than ideal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I dont't know why? Whatever improvements we make in the transport infrastructure to accomodate the extra capacity will surely cost more than offering a few treats to those who decide to try and help the club and their fellow supporters in getting to and from the stadium.

I got the impression it was a case of I paid £100m for the stadium so you can pay £3.60 for a pint but I could be wrong.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
To encourage people to stick around, why not advertise what's going to be showing on the screens after the game? On the 2 jumbo screens during the match it could say something like...

4.45 Final Scores
5.00 Interview with man of the match
5.10 Interview with Gus
5.20 Match Highlights

Or something along those lines. If the match highlights were coming up, preferably with sound, i would always hang around to watch them. They should tell people why they need to stick around.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
By the way, in case I haven't made it clear already, the 49 bus from Moulsecoomb to Brighton is still empty after every match.I realise it's not suitable for everyone, but there are alternatives out there.

To encourage people to stick around, why not advertise what's going to be showing on the screens after the game? On the 2 jumbo screens during the match it could say something like...

4.45 Final Scores
5.10 Interview with Gus
5.20 Match Highlights

Or something along those lines. If the match highlights were coming up, preferably with sound, i would always hang around to watch them. They should tell people why they need to stick around.
This is a bloody good idea. They could at least put sound on in the concourses after matches.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Anyone remember the tea dance getting out of Villa after Cup game and trying to get on that train station that was smaller than Camberwick Green?

Or trying to find somewhere to park at Reading, or Coventry, or numerous other places?

I think the transport has been pretty good considering its year one.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

4.45 Final Scores
5.10 Interview with Gus
5.20 Match Highlights

Id ask [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] about doing that as its a pretty good idea. Only sticking point there could be is that the club shows the interviews and highlights on Player (no idea if the club gets money for it) so it might draw some people away from possibly subscribing.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The easiest solution for the club wishing to retain people within the stadium post match is to simply reduce prices - might also help to reduce stock wastage and no need to mess around with ecredits and all that malarky. The cost initial is in the main borne by the caterers but they also avoid stock wastage so it has benefits for them. Opening up the East stand lounge was a great idea and needs to be more widely publicised - if you let people know VERY LOUDLY before the game and every game that there are faclities on offer, then bit by bit you can change the psyche and get more people to stay behind. Getting people to arrive earlier is probably best achieved by providing added entertainment (which we are pretty good on in my view) and constantly reminding people of the benefits of travelling in relative comfort. You certainly don't want to discount sales pre-match!

There will always be an issue with evening matches where getting people to stay late (or arrive early for that matter) isn't anything like as attractive or practical for most people whether because of work committments or transport connections across town or county etc. Some fans will realise that by staying 30 minutes they probably only get home 10 minutes later but most will rush off at the final whistle to join the scrum no matter what the club offers.

I think a simple bogof deal for 20 minutes after the final whistle might mean a lot more people will stick around for a drink.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I don't really care about the transport. Let's face it, there are a few of you who are desperate for it to fail so you can say 'I told you so'. Who gives a shit about council documents and scaremongering? The FACTS are that getting to and from The Amex has got steadily better over the entire season, just as it will again next season. There is the odd hiccup like Tuesday, but generally it's now far easier than most stadiums in this country. You have a choice of modes of transport and a great place to be pre and post match. If you leave a 22,000-seat stadium at 4.50pm on a Saturday of course you will queue, but that happens at every venue in the world. All that matters is we will have the best stadium in this country with a capacity of up to 40,000 in just three months' time.

I agree with the points you've made TCB, but a capacity of 40,000, when the f**k was that announced.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here