Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium application and car park application recommended for approval

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I may have misunderstood the guide then, but as you say it does seem a big ask to do the east tier and 2 corners in about 9 weeks

The latest info posted on the website says something like 3,500 to be completed in east stand, corporate boxes, sky sports and players loung to be completed behind south and circa 1,000 each in SE SW corners. All to be completed this summer. The capacity should be something like 28,500 by the start of next season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Southern are saying they can cope with an additional 3,500 supporters.

Am I missing something?

This is abstracted from the "rail" section of the transport assessment part 1 (dated 15/03/12) submitted in support of the planning application:

"8.4.4 A consideration of the surveys confirms that a majority of supporters arriving by rail do
so during the hour before kick-off. Similarly, during the post-match period, a vast
majority departing by rail do so in the 30 minutes after the end of the match.
8.4.5 Discussions have been held with Southern Rail, the rail operator that runs services to
Falmer Station, with regards to the spare capacity that currently exists on the rail
services and the potential to increase rail capacity.
8.4.6 With regards to the latter, we have been advised that, not only is there limited additional
rolling stock available, but signalling and power restrictions would also preclude an
increase in the frequency of trains or the lengthening of trains without substantial
infrastructure costs. As such, currently there is little potential to increase the capacity of
trains serving Falmer Station.

8.4.7 We have also been advised by Southern Rail that there is little spare capacity available
on those existing services that currently accommodate peak supporter rail demand, i.e.
in the hour before kick-off and the 30 minutes after full time. However, we have been
advised that spare capacity exists on the trains that operate outside these peak periods
of supporter demand.

8.4.8 Therefore, rail can accommodate additional supporters by further extending the arrival
and departure profiles of supporters, to utilise the spare capacity that exists on those
train services operating over an hour before kick-off and over 30 minutes after full time.

8.4.9 It is our understanding that between 1,500 and 2,500 supporters could be assumed to
be accommodated on existing rail services by extending the arrival and departure profile
of supporters travelling by rail. This could be achieved through the club increasing the
pre and post-match entertainment or via catering offers that would seek to tempt
supporters into an earlier arrival time or later departure time.
8.4.10 As such, the analysis has assumed that 2,000 spectators could be accommodated on
existing rail services.
8.4.11 We have been advised that written confirmation is to be provided from Southern Rail to
the Club’s Transport Manager formally confirming the above."

The letter (06/03/2012) from Southern Rail states:
"We have also had a range of further discussions regarding changes to the train service we provide
when events are taking place at the AMEX stadium. On the basis of these discussions and on
satisfactory completion of works proposed by Network Rail discussed below, we would expect that
our services will be able to safely accommodate up to 3,500 additional supporters for events at the
AMEX Stadium if the increase in the capacity of the stadium is approved.

As you may be aware further discussions are taking place between Network Rail and BHAFC
regarding some minor amendments to the platforms at Falmer Station including, increasing the
operable length of Platform 1 by clearance and stabilisation works, creating a second exit from
Platform 1 at the Brighton end and upgrading and extending the palisade fencing to stretch beyond
the Brighton end of Platform 1. Network Rail will require that these works are implemented as soon
as reasonably practical. ...................."

Make of this what you will but it seems that:
1) The club's contending that the service as currently provided is operating at capacity (60 mins prior & 30 mins post KO) and there little scope to increase this due to limited rolling stock and power/signalling constraints - this has been done to death on NSC n'est ce pas?
2) There is capacity outside these 60/30min windows that can cope with up to an additional 2500 passengers.
3) Southern are saying that their service can cope with up to an additional 3500 passengers provided certain modifications to exits, fencing and platform length are carried out to platform 1 (only) at Falmer station.

To me it seems that Southern have upped the maximum "off peak" capacity from the 2500 assumed by the club to 3500, there's no indication in their letter of additional rolling stock being available or a resolution to the power/signalling issues.

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
There needs to be some sort of additional incentive for supporters who arrive one or more hours before kick off, and the same after the full time whistle.

Perhaps something can be done with the points system on the eCash card, which at the moment looks like it is not being used. Those using the concourses out of peak hours could be awarded bonus points and these used for a prize/financial reward?

Just a thought, but IMO something else needs to happen to change the rush of people on all transport systems which exists in the 30 mins or so before and after the match.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Perhaps something can be done with the points system on the eCash card, which at the moment looks like it is not being used. Those using the concourses out of peak hours could be awarded bonus points and these used for a prize/financial reward?

That's a pretty good idea IMO, say you get 30% cash back 1hr +/- a match start/finish.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
There needs to be some sort of additional incentive for supporters who arrive one or more hours before kick off, and the same after the full time whistle.

Just a thought, but IMO something else needs to happen to change the rush of people on all transport systems which exists in the 30 mins or so before and after the match.

Great idea !!! have some sort of prize for most pie and beer drunk after the match to stop the crowds at falmer station :) seriously though they could some sort of money off offers if you make a couple of purchses from the kiosks after the match

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is the real crux here...a couple of times I have had to get away quickly and the number of people heading to the station on the whistle is HUGE. In fact there is a general stampede to teh Station

The albion have to accept that in the majority of cases people are going to want to get home....it has always been like that...just look at every single ground on teh telly...5 minutes after the whistle people are away and gone. You will get some who will want to stay chat and drink, but that is very much the minority and not in the psyche of most fans.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I am assuming that, as there is no mention of a link to any other infrastructure improvements in the substantive text, the "minded to grant" refers to the approval of the preceeding item, so once the car parking at Falmer High School is okayed then technically the recommendation for the variation changes to "grant"

All good news and hopefully we will kick off next season with a two tier east stand and the south-east and south-west corners filled in.

I suspect we will only have the concrete in place in the time available. There would still be a hell of a lot of work involved in fitting out the concourse before the seats can go in, but that could proceed between fixtures.

rail can accommodate additional supporters by further extending the arrival and departure profiles of supporters, to utilise the spare capacity that exists on those train services operating over an hour before kick-off and over 30 minutes after full time.

seems to mean the same as ...

rail can accommodate additional supporters by further extending the arrival and departure profiles of supporters, and by living with the moaning that will inevitably occur when folk realise that they have to set off for games half an hour earlier or miss kick-off, or that they can't get away after the game unless they are prepared to tolerate an extra 30 minutes wait in a queue.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is abstracted from the "rail" section of the transport assessment part 1 (dated 15/03/12) submitted in support of the planning application:

etc.

I read those documents earlier, and while seemingly slightly contradictory - somewhere down the line something seems to have been worked out to cope with expected increase in capacity.

I would certainly agree that there is capacity outside the '45 minutes after match' scenario (when, according to the same travel report, anywhere between 10% and 30% of the crowd stay behind that long), as I have left the ground at that point, never queued and always found plenty of room, to the point at times of nearly empty carriages.

I suppose it depends on how you define 'limited additional rolling stock'. I read it as initially Southern could provide 'X' carriages, but having spoken to the club, they can provide 'X+' carriages. I guess we'll find out presently.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I suggested pretty much that to Tony Bloom before the season started. He didn't look a happy bunnyy.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That is the real crux here...a couple of times I have had to get away quickly and the number of people heading to the station on the whistle is HUGE. In fact there is a general stampede to teh Station

The albion have to accept that in the majority of cases people are going to want to get home....it has always been like that...just look at every single ground on teh telly...5 minutes after the whistle people are away and gone. You will get some who will want to stay chat and drink, but that is very much the minority and not in the psyche of most fans.

In fairness though because of the proximity of the stadium to the station and buses most of those rushing away at the final whistle are on their way after about 45minutes. At other grounds it may take you 20-30 minutes to even reach the station let alone get on a train. I don't think we are too far away from coping to be honest. I normally wait a minimum of 45 minutes after the final whistle before leaving and I have never had a significant wait, if any, for a train. So the site is being cleared, at least station side, pretty quickly. The only time I queued was after the Newcastle game and that was for 20 minutes which was perfectly acceptable.

I am surprised how well the train copes, and if passengers could move down inside the carriages a bit more it would work even better.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Club estimated any supporter would only have to wait 30 minutes maximum for a train after a match and I believe that they are well within that currently.

I can't rememember a time I've had to wait for 30 minutes (the Reading game a possible exception but due to human error and not the Club).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The easiest solution for the club wishing to retain people within the stadium post match is to simply reduce prices - might also help to reduce stock wastage and no need to mess around with ecredits and all that malarky. The cost initial is in the main borne by the caterers but they also avoid stock wastage so it has benefits for them. Opening up the East stand lounge was a great idea and needs to be more widely publicised - if you let people know VERY LOUDLY before the game and every game that there are faclities on offer, then bit by bit you can change the psyche and get more people to stay behind. Getting people to arrive earlier is probably best achieved by providing added entertainment (which we are pretty good on in my view) and constantly reminding people of the benefits of travelling in relative comfort. You certainly don't want to discount sales pre-match!

There will always be an issue with evening matches where getting people to stay late (or arrive early for that matter) isn't anything like as attractive or practical for most people whether because of work committments or transport connections across town or county etc. Some fans will realise that by staying 30 minutes they probably only get home 10 minutes later but most will rush off at the final whistle to join the scrum no matter what the club offers.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I suggested pretty much that to Tony Bloom before the season started. He didn't look a happy bunnyy.

I dont't know why? Whatever improvements we make in the transport infrastructure to accomodate the extra capacity will surely cost more than offering a few treats to those who decide to try and help the club and their fellow supporters in getting to and from the stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here