Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium application and car park application recommended for approval

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This. One of the best stadiums in the country to watch football. Marvellous.

I was looking at pictures of the Etihad someone posted online the other night with the sun setting behind the stand, and if it wasn't for the empty corners and low north stand pictures taken of the West Stand of the Amex at a similar time can draw favourable similarities. It will definitely add something to the tapestry of PL grounds (more so than the madjeski anyway). The West Stand is simply stunning.

It's difficult to see from the planning application what the club is actually proposing as far as transport improvements are concerned - other than "lets have some parking at the old Falmer School site" and "get the extra fans to use the spare capacity on the buses and trains that is there already". Oh - and maybe let's look for anothe P&R site.

An overstated analysis imo LB.
Some observations from me:
1) Don't check the maths too closely (preferably not at all).
2) The results of a transport survey would normally reflect only the questions included on the questionnaire.
3) Don't ask where the 1000 or so staff park (review in conjunction with Q1 above).
4) There is no additional train capacity , unless people are prepared to arrive earlier and leave later; using the same %age as current, an additional 2,500-3,800 supporters might be expected to use the train from Brighton/Lewes.
5) The "temporary" mini-bus service for transporting disabled spectators has become a permanent feature and is being extended, thus avoiding the Club and B&HCC Building Control having to sort out the original shambles they created with disabled parking. Novel idea locating further disabled parking on the Falmer Academy site when there's currently 100 or so unused spaces in the Bennett's Field C/P.
6) And the 500-600 cars currently parking in Coldean and North Moulsecomb are going where?

I think I'd better go out!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
An overstated analysis imo LB.
Some observations from me:
1) Don't check the maths too closely (preferably not at all).
2) The results of a transport survey would normally reflect only the questions included on the questionnaire.
3) Don't ask where the 1000 or so staff park (review in conjunction with Q1 above).
4) There is no additional train capacity , unless people are prepared to arrive earlier and leave later; using the same %age as current, an additional 2,500-3,800 supporters might be expected to use the train from Brighton/Lewes.
5) The "temporary" mini-bus service for transporting disabled spectators has become a permanent feature and is being extended, thus avoiding the Club and B&HCC Building Control having to sort out the original shambles they created with disabled parking. Novel idea locating further disabled parking on the Falmer Academy site when there's currently 100 or so unused spaces in the Bennett's Field C/P.
6) And the 500-600 cars currently parking in Coldean and North Moulsecomb are going where?

I think I'd better go out!

Coldean moulsecomb ..definitely residents only parking?

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Interesting we have the 8th highest average home gate

1. West Ham 30662
2. Derby County 26022
3. Southampton 25876
4. Leeds United 23352
5. Leicester City 23184
6. Cardiff City 21999
7. Nottingham Forest 21791
8. Brighton And Hove Albion 20042
9. Reading 18844
10. Hull City 18799

Wonder where that would put us with the expansion to the amex

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I went on the tour towards the end of January, and the guide said that if permission is granted in April (as they were expecting), then the 2nd tier on the East and the southern corners would be done this summer in time for the new season.

Seems like quite a tight timescale though, wouldn't be surprised if there is some slippage.

From a layman's point of view the East Stand should be quite simple to do-all they have to do is bolt on the pre-cast concrete bits and add the seats. All the other internal bits were taken care of during the initial build if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure that all of the bits that would normally take time (as in other clubs' expansions) are also already in place-the base layers for the corner seats were laid along with the rest of the stadium. We were all amazed at how quickly the slip form terraces were built. It'll be a doddle...so long as the little crane things don't knacker the pitch!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
On my tour, I was told East Stand upper would not be done this year, just the corners taking the gate to approx 26K. That may have changed.

I had a letter saying that I had to move if the planning application went ahead, and I then went in and 'chose' my new seat which was to be in the Upper East. I've since had a letter with that seat number on for my renewal so I guess the plan is still to do it this summer if possible?

Coldean moulsecomb ..definitely residents only parking?

I guess this will be decided at the Planning Committee meeting on 25 April. The following is taken from information that the club submitted a couple of weeks ago on 29 March; the briefing note to which it refers accepts that the Highway Authority may introduce a formal scheme (at the club's expense) and that it has a right to do so:

"A number of on‐street parking surveys have now been undertaken, however, as a worst case scenario, the
highest levels of inappropriate parking identified have been adopted within the analysis. On this basis, a
total of 651 supporter vehicles have been assumed to be parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean
combined, which equates to approximately 1,500 supporters, based on an average car occupancy of 2.3
supporters per car.
On the basis that additional measures will be introduced within these areas that prevent this
inappropriate parking
(as described in the previously submitted briefing note), these 1,500 supporters
could be required to be accommodated within the Stadium Travel Plan, by modes other than the private
car."

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I guess this will be decided at the Planning Committee meeting on 25 April. The following is taken from information that the club submitted a couple of weeks ago on 29 March; the briefing note to which it refers accepts that the Highway Authority may introduce a formal scheme (at the club's expense) and that it has a right to do so:

"A number of on‐street parking surveys have now been undertaken, however, as a worst case scenario, the
highest levels of inappropriate parking identified have been adopted within the analysis. On this basis, a
total of 651 supporter vehicles have been assumed to be parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean
combined, which equates to approximately 1,500 supporters, based on an average car occupancy of 2.3
supporters per car.
On the basis that additional measures will be introduced within these areas that prevent this
inappropriate parking
(as described in the previously submitted briefing note), these 1,500 supporters
could be required to be accommodated within the Stadium Travel Plan, by modes other than the private
car."

So that's 651 cars, or approx 1500 people that will need to find another place to park as from next season.

I really hope the Club finds that new P+R site quick, and organises enough busses to service them.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
So will the Fatboy gig be in the middle of a building site? Will everyone have to wear boots and hi-viz?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I went on the tour towards the end of January, and the guide said that if permission is granted in April (as they were expecting), then the 2nd tier on the East and the southern corners would be done this summer in time for the new season.

Seems like quite a tight timescale though, wouldn't be surprised if there is some slippage.

I may have misunderstood the guide then, but as you say it does seem a big ask to do the east tier and 2 corners in about 9 weeks

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Southern are saying they can cope with an additional 3,500 supporters.

Am I missing something?

8.4.5 Discussions have been held with Southern Rail, the rail operator that runs services to Falmer Station, with regards to the spare capacity that currently exists on the rail services and the potential to increase rail capacity.

8.4.6 With regards to the latter, we have been advised that, not only is there limited additional rolling stock available, but signalling and power restrictions would also preclude an increase in the frequency of trains or the lengthening of trains without substantial infrastructure costs. As such, currently there is little potential to increase the capacity of trains serving Falmer Station.

8.4.7 We have also been advised by Southern Rail that there is little spare capacity available on those existing services that currently accommodate peak supporter rail demand, i.e. in the hour before kick-off and the 30 minutes after full time. However, we have been advised that spare capacity exists on the trains that operate outside these peak periods of supporter demand.

8.4.8 Therefore, rail can accommodate additional supporters by further extending the arrival and departure profiles of supporters, to utilise the spare capacity that exists on those train services operating over an hour before kick-off and over 30 minutes after full time.

8.4.9 It is our understanding that between 1,500 and 2,500 supporters could be assumed to be accommodated on existing rail services by extending the arrival and departure profile of supporters travelling by rail. This could be achieved through the club increasing the pre and post-match entertainment or via catering offers that would seek to tempt supporters into an earlier arrival time or later departure time.

8.4.10 As such, the analysis has assumed that 2,000 spectators could be accommodated on existing rail services.

8.4.11 We have been advised that written confirmation is to be provided from Southern Rail to the Club’s Transport Manager formally confirming the above.

Dear Kate,
Variation of Conditions Application, BH2011/03861, American Express Community Stadium
Village Way Brighton

As you will be aware, Southern is the operator of Falmer railway station and operates all train services that use the station. We and Network Rail wrote to you jointly objecting to the proposed variation of conditions application by Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club (“BHAFC”) in relation to the American Express Community Stadium (“AMEX Stadium”) – we have now withdrawn this objection.

We have had further discussions with BHAFC and have now reached agreement with respect to a revised matchday charge to meet the significant additional cost to Southern from the additional supporters expected to travel. This was one of the main points of concern we had previously raised.

We have also had a range of further discussions regarding changes to the train service we provide when events are taking place at the AMEX stadium. On the basis of these discussions and on satisfactory completion of works proposed by Network Rail discussed below, we would expect that our services will be able to safely accommodate up to 3,500 additional supporters for events at the AMEX Stadium if the increase in the capacity of the stadium is approved.

As you may be aware further discussions are taking place between Network Rail and BHAFC regarding some minor amendments to the platforms at Falmer Station including, increasing the operable length of Platform 1 by clearance and stabilisation works, creating a second exit from Platform 1 at the Brighton end and upgrading and extending the palisade fencing to stretch beyond the Brighton end of Platform 1.

Network Rail will require that these works are implemented as soon as reasonably practical. In the meantime however it has been agreed between the Club and British Transport Police that the additional supporters using the rail services can be managed until such time as the works are complete and on this basis we will not be objecting to the application to increase the capacity of the American Express Community Stadium.

I have copied this letter to Steve Reeves at BHAFC and Chris Rowley at Network Rail.
Yours sincerely
Dave Walker
Head of Train Planning

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here